No announcement yet.

Watching Babylon 5 with L - Season 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ummmm . . . . Doesn't L realize we are on a schedule here?
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

L wishes to pass on apologies to Looney for the gap in scehduling and is assured that normal service* has now resumed
      Messages from earth
      and now things seriously ramp up as we see night watch. Much commentary form L regarding out blonde haired blue eyed Night Watch officer (the words Nazi was said a lot). She also enjoyed the peition for G'kar, there were comments regarding the singing. She also predicted the comment about Sheridan's dad making with the hose and the fake rain as well as delenn having a recording of the sounds. Who knew the meteorology of minbar was so similar to earths. There was a comment about her becoming more human in order for the "love story" to work. L asked how she knew so much about the shadow vessels and the integration process. I honestly don't recall if that's revealed later on or not. You know things are gonna get bad with MArtial Law. She was amused by the ottoman empire and Marcus, but let's face facts, who doesn't love Marcus.
      Point of no return
      Full on nazi stormtropper takeover here with our Surprisingly Aryan looking (well surprising to L as she said she didn't' notice it until I non subtly pointed it out when he was in mid rant). More chants of nazi nazi nazi and I think (din't quite catch it) she wanted to shoot him when he was saying that everyone not in night watch would have to leave security. Seemed to elicit some sympathy for zAck and on a personal note not much ship stuff, probably because of the effects heavy previous episode. Comments on the political office and a recall that this has been mentioned in previous episodes, so clearly oru L is paying attention. More refernts back to earlier things wil follow. She was highly amused, following Marella's revelation about Londo and Vir at the HUGE gap between the two of them on the couch (and Vir going "yes, another cloth please"). This gap is even bigger than the one me and L leave on my couch to allow for the cat.

*whoever the hell thinks I'm normal clealry doens't know me.
      Also I absolutely will not, no matter what spell checker tells me, put a capital n in the word nazi, It doesn't deserve it.
      "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to reading L's comments on my favorite episode, "Severed Dreams".

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
          L wishes to pass on apologies to Looney for the gap in scehduling and is assured that normal service* has now resumed
          I accept my lady's apology and I wish to atone for my impertinence.
          Messages from earth
          and now things seriously ramp up as we see night watch. Much commentary form L regarding out blonde haired blue eyed Night Watch officer (the words Nazi was said a lot). She also enjoyed the peition for G'kar, there were comments regarding the singing. She also predicted the comment about Sheridan's dad making with the hose and the fake rain as well as delenn having a recording of the sounds. Who knew the meteorology of minbar was so similar to earths. There was a comment about her becoming more human in order for the "love story" to work. L asked how she knew so much about the shadow vessels and the integration process. I honestly don't recall if that's revealed later on or not. You know things are gonna get bad with MArtial Law. She was amused by the ottoman empire and Marcus, but let's face facts, who doesn't love Marcus.
          Yes we are really getting into it now and so many things to discuss on multiple levels. I love the IMDB synopsis. MESSAGES FROM EARTH. Sure would love to know what Mary Kirkish did after she left B5.

Vaughn Armstrong is great. He REALLY sells the part. Extremist who doesn't come off as insane or overly maniacal.

L do you have any future predictions since you seem to be figuring some of what is going to happen as you watch the episodes?

Point of no return
          Full on nazi stormtropper takeover here with our Surprisingly Aryan looking (well surprising to L as she said she didn't' notice it until I non subtly pointed it out when he was in mid rant). More chants of nazi nazi nazi and I think (din't quite catch it) she wanted to shoot him when he was saying that everyone not in night watch would have to leave security. Seemed to elicit some sympathy for zAck and on a personal note not much ship stuff, probably because of the effects heavy previous episode. Comments on the political office and a recall that this has been mentioned in previous episodes, so clearly oru L is paying attention. More refernts back to earlier things wil follow. She was highly amused, following Marella's revelation about Londo and Vir at the HUGE gap between the two of them on the couch (and Vir going "yes, another cloth please"). This gap is even bigger than the one me and L leave on my couch to allow for the cat.

*whoever the hell thinks I'm normal clealry doens't know me.
          Also I absolutely will not, no matter what spell checker tells me, put a capital n in the word nazi, It doesn't deserve it.
          Yeah Armstrong was definitely the perfect casting choice here. And it is great how Zack really become a focal character. And how could L not be paying attention?! Everything is so great.

Okay so why leave a gap for the cat or does the cat force you to leave that gap?

Comment

Severed Dreams
            Much commetnery tbh on Bruce McGill, she recongised him form, of all things McVyver. I paused it during the scene in which delenn is lecturing the grey council and she breaks the staff as I pointed out that JMS had shot the whole thing in one take but couldn't record it as the prop wasn't snappable. She was very amused at the part in the begninnign with Londo's delay in getting through customs. She';s sitting behind me and asked me to point out she enjoyed Delenn's "very succint speech" upon returning to the station. She pointed out the very human face following the breaching pod and and loved Christopher Franke's score.
            Ceremonies of light and dark
            Goign a bit out of order here and she likes the new unforms, said she wouldn't mind if it all change dto them. I had to rewind as the Cat distracted her a few times and she missed some great markus lines, whihc is, as you all know, an absolute tragedy. She agreed that the ex war vet was indeed an absolute psycho. Sheriden ksising delenn's hand (went wooo) totally unsurprised at confessions of love from Leineer (totally worshipping her) Sheridan (I deeplyc are for you) and Ivanova (I think I loved talia) all unsurprising. Also commented that Ivanonva's confession was classicly short for her.

Looney, she said to tell you she made no preduictions in htsese episodes. She said that she was wondering who the voice of the AI was as I thoguht I recopnised it too, if only for the attitude. It was, of course as you all know, the superlative Harlan Elisson
            Said something to the fact that the the viewer was able to distantiate themselves from the war as long as it was just starships shooting starships, you easily forget the horror that war really is and it becomes (didn't say this part) just another computer game. However, with the breaching pod, they were able to bring in human faces, people killing each other on close range, the whole horror that war really is. And the reason I loved the music for that scene was that it perfectly underscored how futile and horrendous war is. It really made a point out of it.
            furthermore, something I forgot
            the ISN network .. female reporter was interrupted by a male one .. okay, he had important stuff to say.. but it was a bit jarring as a "the man's message is more important" kinda thing
            Last edited by phazedout; 07-04-2019, 12:34 PM.
            "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Severed Dreams
              Much commetnery tbh on Bruce McGill, she recongised him form, of all things McVyver. I paused it during the scene in which delenn is lecturing the grey council and she breaks the staff as I pointed out that JMS had shot the whole thing in one take but couldn't record it as the prop wasn't snappable. She was very amused at the part in the begninnign with Londo's delay in getting through customs. She';s sitting behind me and asked me to point out she enjoyed Delenn's "very succint speech" upon returning to the station. She pointed out the very human face following the breaching pod and and loved Christopher Franke's score.
              Londo being delayed in customs is just one of the little details that makes the show so great. It doesn't serve a huge narrative purpose, but it is still so very critical to the feel of the episodes, especially during the breaching pod scene at the end. What I mean is it shows how the Narn have become more than just G'Kar and background characters. They are now an integral part of the station moving forward.

I know we can't go forward because we don't want to spoil things for L so let me pose this question in this way, is this Delenn's best moment in the series to this point?

Ceremonies of light and dark
              Goign a bit out of order here and she likes the new unforms, said she wouldn't mind if it all change dto them. I had to rewind as the Cat distracted her a few times and she missed some great markus lines, whihc is, as you all know, an absolute tragedy. She agreed that the ex war vet was indeed an absolute psycho. Sheriden ksising delenn's hand (went wooo) totally unsurprised at confessions of love from Leineer (totally worshipping her) Sheridan (I deeplyc are for you) and Ivanova (I think I loved talia) all unsurprising. Also commented that Ivanonva's confession was classicly short for her.
              WHY DO WE LET CATS RUIN EVERYTHING?!?!?!?!?!

So WOW L, not surprised by Ivanova's confession?! What I mean is that you knew there was something there, but you really thought Ivanova would tell someone she "Loved Talia"?!

And what about Garibaldi being afraid all the time?! Oh yeah that is obvious. LOL

And back to the length of Ivanova's confession. VERY TRUE that it is almost comically short. "I think I loved Talia"...Bye!

And how about Franklin?! "I think I have a problem", but I will not be elaborating on what that problem is.

Looney, she said to tell you she made no preduictions in htsese episodes. She said that she was wondering who the voice of the AI was as I thoguht I recopnised it too, if only for the attitude. It was, of course as you all know, the superlative Harlan Elisson
              Said something to the fact that the the viewer was able to distantiate themselves from the war as long as it was just starships shooting starships, you easily forget the horror that war really is and it becomes (didn't say this part) just another computer game. However, with the breaching pod, they were able to bring in human faces, people killing each other on close range, the whole horror that war really is. And the reason I loved the music for that scene was that it perfectly underscored how futile and horrendous war is. It really made a point out of it.
              furthermore, something I forgot
              the ISN network .. female reporter was interrupted by a male one .. okay, he had important stuff to say.. but it was a bit jarring as a "the man's message is more important" kinda thing
              So L did you refrain from predictions because I said something or did you just enjoy the ride?

Yes the breaching pod definitely brings the fight home and puts a face on it, especially the aftermath.

And as far as ISN goes, his message was much more important. She is trying to delivery the news and is unaware of what is happening around her, ie armed troops are closing on their position to shut them down. He has to interrupt because they might be shut down at any second and the public needed to know what was happening and why.

Comment

L has replied
                Also from me, cats don't ruin everything, they just make it more.... fluffy
                Okay... 1) No predictions because I don't have any big ones. Thought about it and nope, nothing coming up. 2) We all know Franklin's problem. Just going as far as saying it aloud (without saying what it is) is huge for someone who has a problem like that. 3) If Ivanova would tell? Well, three love confessions is a nice round number. And none of the confessions told the audience anything new really. 4) I wonder if the ISN scene would have worked with a woman interrupting a man? Would they have done it? Would they have been "allowed" to do it, or would the man have just interrupted back? It would have been very different, I think. .. and yeah well. Garibaldi is a paranoid dude. That's it.
                Last edited by phazedout; 07-08-2019, 11:33 AM.

Comment

L has replied ... and yeah well. Garibaldi is a paranoid dude. That's it.
                  I always thought that Garibaldi's confession, "No one knows, but I'm afraid all the time. Of what I might do if I ever let go." was a reference to alcohol relapse. Not a spoiler since L has already seen Garibaldi's alcoholism in "Survivors" from Season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha128 View Post

I always thought that Garibaldi's confession, "No one knows, but I'm afraid all the time. Of what I might do if I ever let go." was a reference to alcohol relapse. Not a spoiler since L has already seen Garibaldi's alcoholism in "Survivors" from Season 1.
                    Yes very true, but that isn't all he is afraid of.

And quick response is that I think it would have been better if she had done the interruption, like she was the head anchor and she was stepping in. I think the dude was supposed to be the producer or the studio chief. I think it would have been better my way because we have already seen her several times by this point and it would have established her as the head anchor. It just seems to make more sense to me, but I guess they thought it would seem more urgent if someone from off camera we hadn't seen before stepped in. I disagree, but that is probably just my ego talking since I love my idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                      I know we can't go forward because we don't want to spoil things for L so let me pose this question in this way, is this Delenn's best moment in the series to this point?
                      Yes, yes it was. I remember the first time I saw that during the show's initial run how I cheered for Delenn and her "be somewhere else" line. Just total badassery (that's a word right? right?). It's one of my favorite scenes.
                      All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

Sic transit Vir
                        Or "a funny thing happened to me on the way to Babylon 5 today". Most of L's commentary seemed around how Vir's wife reminder her of Allyson' hannigan's character in american Pie "the girl obsessed with Band Camp". She did notice (how could you not) how she slowly turned form a sweet, innocent seeming Centari Girl in to a monster. She did wonder what happened to the Narn though, that's nt revealed. Very Little else said.
                        A late delivery from Avalon
                        Even less said here including a comment ahat "you can say I didn't say much in these episodes. She asked me who the lady of the lake was and I replied "!well who do you think". She realised that it must be Delenn. I had to pause and rewind for MArkus's "what if the universe were fair" speech as she was too busy playing with the Cat.

As a side note L did say she was very tired this week so may have resulted in fewer comments than normal. So a rather short post but I see my previous one is still inspiring vigorous (if eventual) debate.

Comment

Sic transit Vir
                          She did wonder what happened to the Narn though, that's nt revealed. Very Little else said.
                          JMS had this to say about the fate of the Narn:

I could've *sworn* there was a line there about the Narn recovering; I'm going to have to check this. I hope I didn't accidentally cut it for time while doing something else. (It was a LONG editing session.)

http://jmsnews.com/messages/message?id=13102

Comment

Yes, the line was in the script:

IVAN OVA
                            Wonderfully. The injured Narn we
                            found is recovering in Medlab 4.
                            Scene 43. Page 43.
                            "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                              Yes, the line was in the script: Scene 43. Page 43.
                              And it looks like JMS did accidentally cut it for time.

Comment

Sic transit Vir
                                Or "a funny thing happened to me on the way to Babylon 5 today". Most of L's commentary seemed around how Vir's wife reminder her of Allyson' hannigan's character in american Pie "the girl obsessed with Band Camp". She did notice (how could you not) how she slowly turned form a sweet, innocent seeming Centari Girl in to a monster. She did wonder what happened to the Narn though, that's nt revealed. Very Little else said.
                                A late delivery from Avalon
                                Even less said here including a comment ahat "you can say I didn't say much in these episodes. She asked me who the lady of the lake was and I replied "!well who do you think". She realised that it must be Delenn. I had to pause and rewind for MArkus's "what if the universe were fair" speech as she was too busy playing with the Cat.

As a side note L did say she was very tired this week so may have resulted in fewer comments than normal. So a rather short post but I see my previous one is still inspiring vigorous (if eventual) debate.
                                I can't say I am surprised. I am a fan of these episodes, especially SIC TRANSIT VIR, but they are pretty straight forward and a tired mind might not have been sparked by them, especially A LATE DELIVERY FROM AVALON. It is a great story, but I feel like it kind of comes at a weird time.

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                                Yes, the line was in the script:

Scene 43. Page 43.
                                Isn't it awesome that we can actually get answers like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X