Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching Babylon 5 with L - Season 3

Matters of Honor
    We watched the credits, something we usually skipps. L commented after the voiceover had finished "was that ivanova". She also noted that it made sense that the voiceover for the previous two seasons was the comander of the station and it made sense. She was quite intriguid by marcus and felt very amused at Captain sheridan's reaction to the white star "he's creamed his pants". She wasn't sure she properly cpatured Mr Endawi's accent, thgouht it might have been african. (I did look up the actor, he was born in washington) . Overall she also liked the Minbari fighting pike, that it was handy how it collapsed like that. The scene with Morden and the psy cop on earth I'd totally forgotten about. Also much amusement from L at most of the scenes within the white star.

this post is unusual in it only covers one episode was we watched on a sunday, not our usual day and thus I suggested, as we started an hour earlier than usual, that we look at episode 1. We shall be returning to pairs of episodes later this week, probably Wednesday.
    "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
    this post is unusual in it only covers one episode was we watched on a sunday, not our usual day and thus I suggested, as we started an hour earlier than usual, that we look at episode 1. We shall be returning to pairs of episodes later this week, probably Wednesday.
    So it looks like it took you six months to get through the first two seasons. At this rate you'll complete the series in under fifteen months.

Thanks for the update. Keep them coming!

Comment

Convictions
      Very little commentary form L at all int this episode. seh did become convinced Londo would be caught in a bomb at some point and did appear amused by g'kars amusement and his happy declaration that if londo were to die but not be killed by him then all would be well. She also commented that Sheridan opening his jacket was too obvious and the bomber would suspect something was hidden in there. She also seemed amused by Londo expressing concer for Leinner oh and of course, leineer's comment about Netter's disease, which, one assumes, is a reference to Doug Netter, one of the executive producers.
      A day in the strife
      Some comments about the probe and we had a fair bit of discussion on the new openness of Dr Franklins stim addiction. There was a srt of grunt from L when Garibaldi suggests Franklin ask kthat girl to dance L has commented previously about how much she dislikes franklin as lothario sort of role. When we cut back tot e probe she comments that she had not forgotten it. She asked who the narn with the word was and I pointed out it was ta'lon but the scene with sheridan reminds us when we'd seen hi before. Seh also laughed at ta'lon's assertion that g;kar had him at a 2 to 1 advantage in arms
      That's all folks, not much commentary this week i think as the tension is ramping up L is more focused on the episodes and not saying much.
      "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Matters of Honor She wasn't sure she properly cpatured Mr Endawi's accent, thgouht it might have been african. (I did look up the actor, he was born in washington)
        Not sure; the actor himself has an American accent. In the script it just says "DAVID ENDAWI, a tall, imposing man, African-American"

Comment

Matters of Honor
          She wasn't sure she properly cpatured Mr Endawi's
          I would have loved to see some follow up on Endawi once the civil war broke out.

Convictions
          She also seemed amused by Londo expressing concer for Leinner
          Amused how?

A day in the strife
          Seh also laughed at ta'lon's assertion that g;kar had him at a 2 to 1 advantage in arms
          Definitely one of Ta'Lon's best moments.
          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Passing Through Gethsemane
            Clear religious overtones in this episode, with a strong sense of redemption as well as crime punishment, vengeance and forgiveness. L recognised brother Theo right off the bat She guessed about the blood being missing from the wall when garibaldi came to brother Thomas's quarters as well as spotting the Minbari telepath, In fact she was so on the money about this episode I asked her if she'd seen it before! She mentioned having seen the black rose before and wondered how pre mind wipe thomas chose to use that symbology and if he'd gotten it from the narn. There were some thought son punishment versus redemption form linda also and she seemed totally unsurprised that the killer of Thomas be returned as brother Malcolm.
            Voices of authority
            L's strong dislike of the political officer and indeed the suggestions that she at one point "go and sit on a cactus". Clearly some trong emotions here from L. Seh also caught the trek reference "you're about to go where everyone has gone before". as well as really not liking the night watch. Some amusement at draal although in my current got up 16 hours ago brain dead state that could have been me, I like draal.

On a more general note i did point out to L that since she reads this thread but doesn't post or even register she could be defined as, in appropriattely b5 like parlance, a Lurker.

Comment

Passing Through Gethsemane
              Clear religious overtones in this episode, with a strong sense of redemption as well as crime punishment, vengeance and forgiveness. L recognised brother Theo right off the bat She guessed about the blood being missing from the wall when garibaldi came to brother Thomas's quarters as well as spotting the Minbari telepath, In fact she was so on the money about this episode I asked her if she'd seen it before! She mentioned having seen the black rose before and wondered how pre mind wipe thomas chose to use that symbology and if he'd gotten it from the narn. There were some thought son punishment versus redemption form linda also and she seemed totally unsurprised that the killer of Thomas be returned as brother Malcolm.
              L, did you recognized Brother Theo (Louis Turenne) as the original Draal from A VOICE IN THE WILDERNESS or just that as Brother Theo from past Brother Theo episodes?

And L, did you enjoy being "on the money" with this episode?

(I decided to try the direct approach. It is fine if phaze answers, but if you are reading L I am going to ask you questions. )

Voices of authority
              L's strong dislike of the political officer and indeed the suggestions that she at one point "go and sit on a cactus". Clearly some trong emotions here from L. Seh also caught the trek reference "you're about to go where everyone has gone before". as well as really not liking the night watch. Some amusement at draal although in my current got up 16 hours ago brain dead state that could have been me, I like draal.
              Julie Musante (Shari Shattuck) is definitely one of my favorite villains because she is so easy to instantly hate, but she clearly loves herself. LOL Like Endawi I would have loved to see more of her story in other episodes.

On a more general note i did point out to L that since she reads this thread but doesn't post or even register she could be defined as, in appropriattely b5 like parlance, a Lurker.
              Should we call her "Lurker L" or "L Lurker" ?

Comment

Chatted with L transcript follows

DRecognised him as Brother Theo, had no idea about original Draal.
                Dunno if I enjoyed being on the money, I like being surprised and it can be a bit boring to be able to guess too accurately. Although it's a bit cool too to be right for once.
                I enjoy catching reverences way more.
                How does he know that L doesn't already stand for Lurker?

Comment

Dust to Dust
                  Bester! and telepaths and i thnk a signpost in G'Kars journey. Some wonderful moments with bester, especially the scenes in which he's interacting with Garibaldi. L didn't say a lot for those scenes but she was clealry enjoying them almost as much os Koenig did. She did make some comments about the dust "looks like every drug ever" and when Garibaldi opened the suitcase she said "of it's all neatly packged2 (presumaby the fact it ws already in little baggies and not in larger bricks), She did say she thought that the use of dust meant that G'kar was a telepath now also during his invasion of Londo's mind She asked, with G'kars sighting of g'quon was it anything to do with Kosh. I reminded her of his repittion of the line "I have always been here". so quite a thought provoking episode.
                  Exogenesis
                  L noticed right off the bat that the thing sinking in to his skin and commented that she'd "seen that before". I agreed it was a trope. She got quite involved in the B arc and was very amused at man of the lines said by Marcus. I do like the Marcus/Stephen relatio ship and she was both amused by and embarrassed for our poor new leftenant. The "A" arc didn't elicit much comment, although she did recognise Duncan when he was being taken over and also commented that she, also, had never read the scottish play.

I gotta say I'm enjoying this rewatch myself, seing the little character oments here and there and the wonderful words of The Great Maker.

Comment

Dust to Dust
                    Bester! and telepaths and i thnk a signpost in G'Kars journey. Some wonderful moments with bester, especially the scenes in which he's interacting with Garibaldi. L didn't say a lot for those scenes but she was clealry enjoying them almost as much os Koenig did. She did make some comments about the dust "looks like every drug ever" and when Garibaldi opened the suitcase she said "of it's all neatly packged2 (presumaby the fact it ws already in little baggies and not in larger bricks), She did say she thought that the use of dust meant that G'kar was a telepath now also during his invasion of Londo's mind She asked, with G'kars sighting of g'quon was it anything to do with Kosh. I reminded her of his repittion of the line "I have always been here". so quite a thought provoking episode.
                    Now listen when you buy drugs they have to come neatly packaged or the dealer doesn't look like a professional. Actually the reality is much different. On camera reality it has to come neatly packaged because you need to be able to tell that it is something that has quantity and substance. In the real world it has to come neatly packaged because the name of the game is the quantity that is changing hands.

Exogenesis
                    L noticed right off the bat that the thing sinking in to his skin and commented that she'd "seen that before". I agreed it was a trope. She got quite involved in the B arc and was very amused at man of the lines said by Marcus. I do like the Marcus/Stephen relatio ship and she was both amused by and embarrassed for our poor new leftenant. The "A" arc didn't elicit much comment, although she did recognise Duncan when he was being taken over and also commented that she, also, had never read the scottish play.

I gotta say I'm enjoying this rewatch myself, seing the little character oments here and there and the wonderful words of The Great Maker.
                    I'm just glad we didn't read you hated the episode L. So many people are not fans of this one. The only thing I don't care for is the visual effect of the transformation and something else I won't mention because it spoils the future. LOL

Comment

I generally follow these "L" comments with big interest.
                      Especially this one, cause on my recent B5 rewatch I also did these two episodes yesterday.

"Exogenesis" is probably not the very best ep. But the Marcus/Franklin dialogues now (and later on) are simply smashing.
                      But I'm pissed off, not to hear the least about the Vindrizi fate... <-- B5 spinoff?

B5-Stefan

--
                      Franklin: "Excuse me, where I come from, one man from three leaves two."
                      Marcus: "Where I come from is a far more interesting place."
                      [Babylon5, Exogenesis]

Comment

I think "Exogenesis" and "Grey 17 Is Missing" are easily the two weakest episodes from Season 3. I ended up skipping both of them when I watched Season 3 with C & T.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
                          I think "Exogenesis" and "Grey 17 Is Missing" are easily the two weakest episodes from Season 3. I ended up skipping both of them when I watched Season 3 with C & T.
                          Well I've shared my thoughts before on how I feel both were great ideas that maybe fell apart in the execution. And really I only think this is true with a few little issues with each.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post

Well I've shared my thoughts before on how I feel both were great ideas that maybe fell apart in the execution. And really I only think this is true with a few little issues with each.
                            I'm interested to see what L has to say about "Grey 17", about which JMS wrote, "I just have this constant desire to go to everyone's house and personally apologize...."

Comment

Working...
                            X