watching Babylon 5 with L - season 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now for a word
    Took a serious instant dislike to miss torqeman. Am I right guys and gals in presuming that's a refernce to torquemada? Rome's infamous inquisitor? Either way at seveal points she said she might not be able to sit through the enitre episode as she hated Cynthia that much. She was also giving out that our intrepit reporter interrupted people (especially franklin) when they were busy. She called ISN the "fox news of the future". I think we can definitely say that engagement level is high. When she listened to franlin's story about his friend dying when they were 17 she said it was amazign they make interfaces you can kill yourself that easily with, even windows has you confirm things a zillion times. Also the loved corbyn's reaciton wehn he was bieng interviewed, especially the glance over the shoulder at Ivanova. Gave out at the reporter's mispronnciation of the name though
    In the shadow of za hadom
    and now we see connecitons coming together, it was delightful to see the ight dawnign in her eyes, she guessed about morden just before he came up on screen from the icarus. I'd also forgotten myself this is the episode we see the intorduction of the night watch. She was amused by the term "mini Pax". Seh really seemd to enjoy Vir's speech but wondered was it the first time we'd heard Vir's surname, i don't think it was but I''m not 100% sure. She liked the very dramatic lighting on sheirdans' face during the interrogation scene and commented later when Kosh was showing him za=hadum that it looed humaniod (I disagreed and said spideroid), Overall some laughter, little commentery but very engged wiht the epsode and we did have a side discussion Vir developoing some stee in himself and the interconnections, things coming together.
    "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
      And now for a word
      Took a serious instant dislike to miss torqeman. Am I right guys and gals in presuming that's a refernce to torquemada? Rome's infamous inquisitor? Either way at seveal points she said she might not be able to sit through the enitre episode as she hated Cynthia that much... She called ISN the "fox news of the future".
      If L hates Cynthia Torqueman that much, just wait until she makes the acquaintance of a certain
      Alison Higgins!

And the link above says you're right about the reference.

In the shadow of za hadom
      Seh really seemd to enjoy Vir's speech but wondered was it the first time we'd heard Vir's surname, i don't think it was but I''m not 100% sure.
      I don't know for certain when Vir's surname is first heard, but I know he said it in #203 "The Geometry of Shadows". He keeps repeating to Elric's illusionary monster, "My name is Vir Cotto, diplomatic attache to ambassador Londo Mollari of the Centauri Republic!"
      Last edited by alpha128; 05-06-2019, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha128 View Post

I don't know for certain when Vir's surname is first heard, but I know he said it in #203 "The Geometry of Shadows". He keeps repeating to Elric's illusionary monster, "My name is Vir Cotto, diplomatic attache to ambassador Londo Mollari of the Centauri Republic!"
        Sinclair addresses Vir as Mr. Cotto in #104, "Born to the Purple" as he's playing with the toy while waiting for Londo. Then in "The War Prayer" the young lovers demand to see 'Ambassador Cotto'.

"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

SO did L get how unique AND NOW FOR A WORD was for its time? I mean that episode came out of nowhere and was so unique. I mean what an idea, "Let's just break what we're doing and do an episode where an outsider takes a look at our world through the eyes of the media". What a brilliant idea it was at the time.

And I assume she will love Dan Randall as well when you get to Season 4.
          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

I'lbe honest here folks i've been awake since 05.50 and it's 22,35 now I am a phaze of very little brain.

Knives
            some comments which stood out "he aid it eas the finest blade he'd ever seen but they look the same" then, somewhat contradictorily "one is longer than the other but he has longer arms so it makes sense". Soem comments about the brivari "it's such a huge cup why so little of the drink in it. There was a comment about the baseball too (in fact I'd forgotten entirely about the B arc). L did mention a holodeck but I pointed out given the size of the station it could easily accommodate such a space. "but why, it's just an american game". I didn't reply. She's reminded me the centari names sounded quite italian. then "itialian wiht a russian acent" possibly inspired by the opera. Effects wise L was very impressed by how well the being infecting Sheridan showed up in his eyes. As always, highly amused by the use of the grapple, earthforce doesn't have tractor beams L
            Confessions and Lamentations.
            Thought at one point it was a markab at the end but realised it was Delenn and Lineer. I'm not 100% sure but noticed delenn saying "faith manages" to lineer, might be the first coining of that particular phrase. Some coments about whether or not the child was infected and also a comment that we don't see children, i explained about JMS's rule regarding cute kids and robots. Did comment that when the Markab Doctor died He had time to broak out "I must go now2 but not convey the actual sentiment he wanted to say to Franklin.
            "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Correct, that was the first time "Faith manages" was heard.
              "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

few comments on last weeks post and as i make this post my top bar says "May 22 22:22"
                Divided Loyalties
                So we see the return of Lyta and the unexpected departure of Talie. I pointed out that Star Trek never showed a toilet on screen. I'd honestly forogtten how much misdirection there was in this episode. You're never sure which way to jump. L didn't comment much apart from saying that she hadn't sen any hints that there was a lesbian side to either Susan or Taia, felt it was rather dropped in. Also when she discovered it was talia her reaction was pretty much "good, I never liked her",
                the long, twilight struggle
                Lots going on in this arc heavy episode. I will say props to the actor playing Lord Refa, L really *really* hated him. I personally also like (and she notied) how the serious stuff is counterpointed with the humour of Drall (who, in fairness, she described as mean) . I noticed the voice of g'sten sounded familiar so I loked up the actor and pointed out he wast he same one who played the soul hunter in season 1 (W. Morgan Shepard, such a great voice). When Londo insists on Citizen G'Kar being removed from the council chambers with "no, now" L thought he'd gone a bit too far at that point. She did notice a faint hint of redemption ,that shot of Londo looking distressed as he stood on on the obervation part of the ship and watched them pounding narn in to the stone age with mass drivers.
                Could be Monday next week when we watch, but shall try and post before wednesday either way. L did ask kdid seasons 3 4 and 5 feature the war as 1 was about letting you know who everyone was and what they were about and 2 seemed to be the build up to the war. I looed at her for about 5 minuges then calmy said "you know i'm not going to answer that question"
                Last edited by phazedout; 05-22-2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

few comments on last weeks post and as i make this post my top bar says "May 22 22:22"
                  Divided Loyalties
                  So we see the return of Lyta and the unexpected departure of Talie. I pointed out that Star Trek never showed a toilet on screen. I'd honestly forogtten how much misdirection there was in this episode. You're never sure which way to jump. L didn't comment much apart from saying that she hadn't sen any hints that there was a lesbian side to either Susan or Taia, felt it was rather dropped in. Also when she discovered it was talia her reaction was pretty much "good, I never liked her",
                  L did ask kdid seasons 3 4 and 5 feature the war as 1 was about letting you know who everyone was and what they were about and 2 seemed to be the build up to the war. I looed at her for about 5 minuges then calmy said "you know i'm not going to answer that question"

D L. : There were tiny, subtle hints. Not many would notice, probably.
                  THTS: Of course you did not answer that. .... Spoilers <(/River Song voice>

Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

L did ask did seasons 3 4 and 5 feature the war as 1 was about letting you know who everyone was and what they were about and 2 seemed to be the build up to the war. I looked at her for about 5 minutes then calmly said "you know i'm not going to answer that question"
                    You could have replied, "The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace."

Comment

S we cone to the end of seasons 2 and, as we started early on a sunday, episode one of season 3, That, of course, gets it's own thtread.
                      Comes the inquisitor
                      Very little commenterry, she did seem extremely engaged b7 what is, after all a very gripping episode. I did pont out that apart form stock footage there's very little cgi, very little extra sets. She did ask if gery 19 was the place the markab went to die. Is aid i don't think so, although it may have been the same set it was probalby a differnt part of the station. She did say she enjoyed the scene with G'Kar and Vir in the lift. But overall a very quiet L.
                      The Fall of Night
                      She did say she hayes whem people act like arseholes. This would, presumably refer to the "ministry of peace" which she said sounded like something form 1984. I pointed out that the minstry of peace was the people behind night watch. She said the only sort fo people who use the word "sedition" wre tyrants. When Mr morden appeared she was "oh no". She did say his suit looked smarter, a better Jaced and I[m wondering if any of you noticed a change in Eds costuming, perhaps as the shadows come more in to power his tailoring improves? When Kosh reealed himself she sai "oh he's a minbari" before realsing he appeared differentlty to everyone. also she noticed the olok the centari gave sheridan then "oh a bomb". She did say the episode did not really end on a cliffhanger, unlike season 1.

Comment

Divided Loyalties
                        Okay so I too originally felt that it seemed "dropped in", but I started watching in Season Two and had not seen any of their relationship in Season One. Even after finally seeing Season One I can say that it does still feel a little "dropped in", but like many things in the B5 Universe I always say we don't know what happened in all of those days that past that weren't televised. LOL And you know I originally didn't like Talia, but she has grown on me to the point where the only thing I don't like is that her Ironheart gift story dead-ends. Having said that it seemed "dropped in" I do appreciate it more now. With today's standards they would take every opportunity to mention it. I think it would lose some of its magic. I mean it isn't like they were having some big affair. We saw something that was just starting and ends up never going anywhere.

now" L thought he'd gone a bit too far at that point.
                        I think that is one of the most dramatic and realistic moments in the series. I have often wondered if it was planned that way or happened in the moment. My guess is planned brilliance.

Comes the inquisitor
                        Very little commenterry, she did seem extremely engaged b7 what is, after all a very gripping episode. I did pont out that apart form stock footage there's very little cgi, very little extra sets. She did ask if gery 19 was the place the markab went to die. Is aid i don't think so, although it may have been the same set it was probalby a differnt part of the station. She did say she enjoyed the scene with G'Kar and Vir in the lift. But overall a very quiet L.
                        Yeah I feel like this is one where there wouldn't be a lot of commentary other than the discovery of who Sebastian is. It is an intense episode, but it is also one you go through without thinking too much. It is all kind of right there.

The Fall of Night
                        She did say she hayes whem people act like arseholes. This would, presumably refer to the "ministry of peace" which she said sounded like something form 1984. I pointed out that the minstry of peace was the people behind night watch. She said the only sort fo people who use the word "sedition" wre tyrants. When Mr morden appeared she was "oh no". She did say his suit looked smarter, a better Jaced and I[m wondering if any of you noticed a change in Eds costuming, perhaps as the shadows come more in to power his tailoring improves? When Kosh reealed himself she sai "oh he's a minbari" before realsing he appeared differentlty to everyone. also she noticed the olok the centari gave sheridan then "oh a bomb". She did say the episode did not really end on a cliffhanger, unlike season 1.
                        Well there is the cliffhanger of what people just saw and how that will effect things moving forward. Plus there is always the cliffhanger of what's next. LOL

Comment

Putting this here for lack of anything more current. This date in 2259 will be:

ISN Network
                          "36 Hours"
                          September 16, 2259

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                            Putting this here for lack of anything more current. This date in 2259 will be:

ISN Network
                            "36 Hours"
                            September 16, 2259

HA! How very apropos,

Comment

We watched zha ha dum and hour if the wolf tonight. This is a place Holder post as its 22.40 and I'm up for yoga at 6

Comment

We watched zha ha dum and hour if the wolf tonight. This is a place Holder post as its 22.40 and I'm up for yoga at 6
                                Wrong thread! I bumped season 2 for the info on 'And Now for a Word'.

Comment

Working...
                                X