watching Babylon 5 with L - season 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All alone in the night
    I ponted out to L that this phrase feature n the intro, she seemed not to know what i meant and asked was it the movie, is ad no the voiceover. Also this week i took notes, on a google doc.
    During Delenn's nitial speech when she says she is leaving to Lieneer L said she expected her to say "guman" not alone. When sheridan is leaving she asks when he says "what could go wrong" oh i wish you hadn't said that. Then when ramirez said he'd enjoy a good meal on the 30 credits she said "sounds like he won't be back." When sheridan was trapped and the thing reached down from the ceiling she said spider, whatever it's name is shelob". When he's fighting the drazi she asked where the narn came from. During ramierez death scene she id "he couldn't die without croaking out something. Very pissed off when neroon mentioned "ourity fo race", then when the alert was sounding in the ship "oh they have the same ambulance noise we do. Also a rahter olng comment about why ivanova, being second in command was out there in a ship when the captain was there already.

Acts of scarifice
    Not as many coments on this episode. She did say she liked the red and black decoration on the narn ship and had to be reminded about what the lumaati race were called. A lot of annoyance at the way the centari were treating the narn "areholes and bullies". The fact the narn was shot when he charged security with a ppe L got really pissed off "that's so f*cking unfair2 said several times. Of course a soon as I saw the lmaati I was reminded that this is the episode that contains that Sex scene. L literally couldn't wathc, she had her eyes coered, head back on the couch elbows in the air "oh gods no i cannot look at this. I took a moment to point out ivanovna's hair was down at this point. Sad moment as well, she wasn't sure if g'kar was laughing or crying, I clarified it for her. No real comment about delenn being no longer satai though, not sure if she's really following the larger story here.
    "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
      All alone in the night
      During Delenn's nitial speech when she says she is leaving to Lieneer L said she expected her to say "guman" not alone.
      At first glance, I thought L expected Delenn to say gunman. At second glance, I realized you meant to type human.

Acts of scarifice
      Sad moment as well, she wasn't sure if g'kar was laughing or crying, I clarified it for her.
      Glad to see that you are now answering minor questions at least. C also needed clarification about this particular point.

Comment

not sure if she's really following the larger story here.
        That is why I always say B5 is best viewed with a guide. LOL This can also be said with Game of Thrones. I know two people who are trying to watch it and catch up. I SO wish I was there to watch with them and guide them through it. I have a friend whom I would like to do this with Babylon 5, but he is really fighting me on it.
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post

That is why I always say B5 is best viewed with a guide. LOL This can also be said with Game of Thrones. I know two people who are trying to watch it and catch up. I SO wish I was there to watch with them and guide them through it. I have a friend whom I would like to do this with Babylon 5, but he is really fighting me on it.
          it's alliiiiiiiiiiive
          WB looney, also using this to make an announcment, this week I shal be posting on wednesday. after that usual bat time , usual bat channel
          "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

I took notes again, but only during hunter, prey, as i was eating dinner during the second epsiode
            Hunter, Prey
            Comments form Ll regarding Kosh's ship and also "a thousand years is a drop". She did wonder if the text on the ship was becuase Kosh put it there or becuase the ship ws responding to ksh, she decided the lattter. At the point the Doctor was injecting himself just prior it showed a bug, she asked "was he injecting himself with a bug? Loved Garibaldi's hat but thought perhaps that it was either sitting too high to be a fedora or it didn't fit. Amused at franklin's refernce to harvard. said "Zillion different factions, psycorps, San Diego, shadows , warrior on grey council " so not clear on that then added "oh mars, that's another faction. She also liked ivanova's speech about why she didn't offer p the stations internal sensors for the scan.
            There all honor lies
            Liked the pak'mara singing and also loved, loved the emprium, thought the scene with sheridan spacing the bear and then, was it keffler in the star fury, i asn't sure. Most interesting comment was on the clear religious fanatacism in Ashan "his eyes are all shiny". Not much other commentery form her on this, at least none i recall, i did write a onger peice last night but the forum ate it.
            Last edited by phazedout; 05-02-2019, 12:23 AM.

Comment

I took notes again, but only during hunter, prey, as i was eating dinner during the second epsiode
              Hunter, Prey
              Comments form Ll regarding Kosh's ship and also
              Uh, the rest of your comments seem to be lost in hyperspace...

Comment

Originally posted by alpha128 View Post

Uh, the rest of your comments seem to be lost in hyperspace...
                edited now for your perusal and commentary

Comment

There all honor lies
                  Liked the pak'mara singing...
                  The original air date for "There All the Honor Lies" was April 26, 1995. But I've read twice now, just in the last few weeks, that the singers in this episode were pak'ma'ra. And this is one of those times. I had also recently read, regarding the series finale "Sleeping in Light", that
                  Sheridan's incredulous "They can sing?" comment was a blooper because he had already heard
                  pak'ma'ra singing in this episode.

But for the last quarter century, I had never heard the "There All the Honor Lies" singers were pak'ma'ra. And reading it now, I don't believe it.

The Lurker's Guide for "There All the Honor Lies" says Sheridan interacts with merely a "strange, hunched-over figure wearing a robe". And also that the song is "a Gregorian chant, part of the Christmas Mass", with Latin lyrics.

I think somewhere along the line some fan created a theory that: ROBE + SINGING = PAK'MA'RA. But the robed figures look too small to be pak'ma'ra. And I wouldn't expect pak'ma'ra to be singing about Jesus Christ in Latin.

Comment

I think somewhere along the line some fan created a theory that: ROBE + SINGING = PAK'MA'RA. But the robed figures look too small to be pak'ma'ra. And I wouldn't expect pak'ma'ra to be singing about Jesus Christ in Latin.
                    Yeah, the 'pak'ma'ra singing' thing is as much a fan myth as the one
                    about Sinclair becoming Valen was 'supposed' to be the final B5 episode.
                    As you said, it's unlikely the pak'ma'ra would be singing Gregorian chants and Vir stated that they only sing very seldom but we heard the same chant twice, the second time being in 'Passing through Gethsemane'.
                    Last edited by Jan; 05-02-2019, 09:27 AM.
                    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

JMS commented the same as you, just a few weeks ago in his Twitter feed. So right, those were surely not pak'ma'ra.
                      Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                        Yeah, the 'pak'ma'ra singing' thing is as much a fan myth as the one
                        about Sinclair becoming Valen was 'supposed' to be the final B5 episode.
                        Right. We all know that the real final B5 episode was 'supposed' be about Sinclair coming back in giant duck starship:

Click image for larger version  Name:	starship.gif Views:	0 Size:	127.2 KB ID:	152010

Note to L: That is not an actual spoiler. We all know how serious spoilers are.
                        Last edited by alpha128; 05-02-2019, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by babylonlurker View Post
                          JMS commented the same as you, just a few weeks ago in his Twitter feed. So right, those were surely not pak'ma'ra.
                          All right. Thanks babylonlurker and thanks JMS for confirming this.

Comment

Where did we land here? Pak'Ma'Ra or not?
                            Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Not pak'ma'ra. Almost certainly human.

Comment

Looney, what d'you say?
                                But we went Shakespearean!
                                "Pak'Ma'Ra or not Pak'Ma'Ra that is the question."

B5-Stefan

--
                                Delenn: "We believe that no race can be truly intelligent without laughter"
                                [Babylon5, A Race Through Dark Places]

Comment

Working...
                                X