Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• watching Babylon 5 with L - season 2

Points of Departure
    Noticed the agamemnon form the side of the ship before the title card came up. Her first comment upon seeing Sheridan was about his "nice blue eyes", She loved the sequence with Londo in the chambers especially about delenn exploring new career options to "become a butterfly". seemed happy to find out what happened to sinclair during the battle of the line (I bleiv eth wrod finally was metnioned). When the jump gate opened and she spotted the minbari ship she said "oh the trigati. Not much elese really here, did seem to like Ivanova's line about the "vastly accellerated rate and some comments about hwo tight her hair was at the start of the episode, compared to her having it loose and pretty much down with Franklin and keffler at the end. Oh and she commented and realised before they showed it that sheridan's speech was to an empty room.
    Revalations
    Lots going on here, there were many qeistins about "the darkness" and of course, much squeeeing regarding g'kar. When she saw the shuttle coming in she commented about G'kars return. There was definitley a note of shudderiness about morden and I was asked if he represents the darkness. Note I never answer these quesitons, I dont want to accidentally give something away, L's discovery of the show should be organic and as the revelations are given in show, it's a principle i shall stick to. Thee was a comment about Anna sheridan looking "so 80s" and when the shps destroy the narn heavy fighter she was like "h yes, the darkness". Thre was alos a comment about organic ships at the behginning. Finally at the end, when G'kar is reading yeats, she said "the book only had about six pages. There was probably more but Iv'e had a bad day ork wise and memory isn't great.
    L asked me to thank you lot for indulging her with the LOTR stuff, thinks you're a nice bunch of people.
    "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

LOTR stuff is totally relevant. It's definitely a heavy influence. You should show her Star Wreck when you are done, she'd get a giggle out of that.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
      I was asked if (Morden) he represents the darkness. Note I never answer these questions, I don't want to accidentally give something away, L's discovery of the show should be organic and as the revelations are given in show, it's a principle i shall stick to.
      Best laid plans. Wait until you get to your first (spoiler warning for L) "Just tell me!" moment.
      Last edited by alpha128; 03-13-2019, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
        "Just tell me!"
        Yes people never want to wait for the payoff. I think the only spoiler I ever give is if I think there is something they think means something and it doesn't. My mom is really good at that. Once she started watching B5 and I told her there were layers she was looking for them everywhere. I tried to let her down gently when she would go off on a tangent that was just a dead and was never going to come back to mean anything. She is that way with GAME OF THRONES as well. Of course that Universe is still fluid so you never know. I guess that can somewhat be said for the Babylon 5 Universe as well.
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

ok sligth delay this wee so announcing now.
          Firstly we are doing thursday, not tuesday, as i have an assignment due wed I still have to come up with 300 words of creative bullhocket for and then tie the thing together in to a vguely coherent whole.
          Secondly we shall be missing two weeks as i have a 3.40 am bus to helsinki airport on the morning of the 27th so after owrk it shall be straight to bed then i am not back in this country untl wednesday april 3rd, which, after helping run a con for 5 days, i shall e a spoon exhaused gibbering wreck and won't be able to do anything but quietly watch scifi on my own, petting the cat and nibbling unhealthy snackfood.
          We shall return you to your regular schedule and programming on Tuesday april 9th.
          and now for a word from our sponsors...
          "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
            Yes people never want to wait for the payoff. I think the only spoiler I ever give is if I think there is something they think means something and it doesn't.
            I also try to avoid spoilers, and for the most part have succeeded. I don't mind answering minor questions that don't really affect the plot, e.g.,
            Q. Does
            David have a headbone?
            A.
            We never see him, so we never find out.

I have tried to answer tough questions with "You'll find out ... in the next episode, before the season is out, etc." Most of the time it works, but that one time it didn't.
            Last edited by alpha128; 03-18-2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

As advised, last post for a while but slightly delayed as as to give you orrible lot less tie to wait
              The Geometry of Shadows
              Mostly laughter, there wsa a lot of laughing. When refa first appears she commented on Vir seeming to be the one without much of an accent, possibly she noticed it more becuase reefa had one too and there was more poeple doing it. I explained that Claudia had broken her foot a few days in to filming so they wrote it in. She loved the Drazi conflict and the whole purple green thing.and luterally laughed for a solid ten seconds when sheridan pointed out the diplomacy angle. Wanted to sit through the credits sequence again as "it has been a while since i saw it". Commented on Elric as well "another accent" and found the narn opera hilarois. Also noted the fireflies reference when the holo demon bought 500,000 shares of it.
              interlude
              in between epiides i showed her something that wasn't there prior to the season 2 episodes, the trailer. showeed her the one for the season opener and the episode we'd just watched, foudn these utterly hilarious and terrible.
              A distant star
              Ky comments here may not be in episode order, just saying as I recall them. She noticed there was a lot of humour in the show, nd there were eveal comments about hyperspace and "I wonder if the dark things live there. some quesitons, whihc, as usual i refused to answer. She felt the long lingering shot of the cortez entering the jump gate indicated it would not be coming back. When the shadow vessel appeared there was a triumphant cry of "I knew the dark things were there". Loved both the references to the the diet (sorry food plan) and the bunia Cuada. When garibaldi reveals it at the end she says "but that's olive oil, olive oil is good for you. She also commented that Franklin was lucky ivanova didn't hear the "with very nice borders" comment. I did helpfully point out the recepie is in the babylon 5 cookbook. When keffler was left firing in hyperspace i said "and that's what happens when the studio forces a pretty actor on JMS". Yeah I let her thing he'd died, becuase i wantd her to think what I did when i saw it first.
              These are some general comments
              When the episode ended she was not happy "i want to see more of this, i don't want to wait, I'm hooked now" - victory!
              alos reproduced below a snippit of mesenger conversation
              L
              Oh. B5. First season was getting to know the characters. And a hint of trouble in paradise. P

Prologue
              As I said
              L
              If you as a viewer wouldnt know them, you wouldnt be as invested now as stuff starts to go down.
              Yeah.
              But 1st season it was pretty much ok to miss an episode or so. It wasnt as if everything was part of something bigger.
              They were more disjointed maybe
              P
              No, it wasnt, they are all part if something bigger
              You just don't know it yet

on that cruptic note i'll leave ye alone for a while

Comment

When the episode ended she was not happy "i want to see more of this, i don't want to wait, I'm hooked now" - victory!
                Isn't it great that L declared fairly early. I don't think alpha128 ever received an actual verified commitment from C & T. LOL
                Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                  Isn't it great that L declared fairly early. I don't think alpha128 ever received an actual verified commitment from C & T. LOL
                  You've forgotten that my original pitch to C & T, prior to embarking on this adventure was, "We watched 12 episodes of 'Sherlock' give me twelve episodes of 'Babylon 5'". And at the end of "Chrysalis" this happened:

So after it was all over, I asked if they were sufficiently intrigued to see what happened next, and T enthusiastically answered, "Oh yeah".
                  The rest, as they say, is history. We watched the first of the final five episodes, "The Fall of Centauri Prime", last night.

Comment

Interlude/extra The Gathering
                    I didn't take extensive notes here as I wasn't sure I'd be doing a write up but at the weekend I got my multi region DVD player back from Essi and invited linda to slake her thrst for more B5 with The gathering. She thought poor lieutenant Commander Takashima a pale imitation of ivanova, many comments like "Ivavnova could deliver those lines much better". There were some comments on the ehtnic diversity in the pilot movie as well (a good thing). Looked interested to see another telepath who wasn't talia winters. Noted the chnage in look from pilot to series, also velt that the actor playing Del Varner gave off a similair vibe to Ed Wasser/Mr Morden. completely failed to motice (and she'll be mad at me for saying this) Ed wsser in C&C as a background guy. ther than that I don't recall much, was rather knackered so went to bed early and like i said, didn't take notes. Did comment on the length "that felt like a very long episode". you might see me post again on april 4th, but nothing prior to that.

Comment

Interlude/extra The Gathering
                      Which version of the Gathering did you watch with L, the original cut or the 1998 Special Edition?

Comment

Which version of the Gathering did you watch with L, the original cut or the 1998 Special Edition?
                        I have a lot of love for the original version. And I LOVE the C&C disco experience.
                        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

The TNT recut version which came in the 5 disc movies box set.
                          I've had to explain that disco lights comment to L, said she isnt going to register just to ask questions

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                            I have a lot of love for the original version. And I LOVE the C&C disco experience.
                            I've never seen the original version in its entirety. About all I've seen is the opening scene on YouTube. Does "the C&C disco experience" refer to the rotating circle of light near the central console (as shown below)?

Comment

The TNT recut version which came in the 5 disc movies box set.
                              That's the edit I own, although I have the single flipper disc with the recut "The Gathering" on one side and "In the Beginning" on the other. I didn't think the other three movies were worth owning.

Comment

Working...
                              X