X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Rudolph View Post
    I don't think there's much more that can be said of Babylon 5. The only real plot threads still left hanging are the Drakh Plague and the Telepath War. But we know from Sleeping in Light that everything turned out alright in the end.

The future isn't exactly perfect, but the story ends in a way that's happy enough for everyone.
    Hi Rudolph! For me the only things I'd particularly like more info on is the Telepath war and the Earth Black projects that would have been the true story for Crusade. As you said, we knew from Sleeping in Light that the Drakh plague was cured.

Leave a comment:

• Rudolph
    replied
    I don't think there's much more that can be said of Babylon 5. The only real plot threads still left hanging are the Drakh Plague and the Telepath War. But we know from Sleeping in Light that everything turned out alright in the end.

The future isn't exactly perfect, but the story ends in a way that's happy enough for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Originally posted by Truth66 View Post

Having said all of that, I do have a great concern. If by chance that someone does do a project in the Babylon 5 Universe, there's a huge risk that it to will get the short end of the promotional stick like the original series did. I've always maintained that had Babylon 5 got the same level of promotion that other series do, it would have had a much larger following that it does now. If that happens, then the powers that be will view any new project as a failure and kill it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what happened with Legend of the Rangers. A pilot that wasn't well promoted and aired in direct competition with a major football game.
    I always find this topic a really difficult one. As Jan says, the story was told, JMS got his 5 year arc. He was initially adamant that B5's intention was to "get in, tell the story, get out", or some words to that effect. He openly admits in the Crusade WTHH books that venturing the way of spin-offs was a mistake and he felt under pressure from the cast and crew to continue.

I honestly think Rangers failed because the pilot was weak. It's not out and out awful, but it's never been something I've mourned being canned.

I feel much the same about Crusade, it has a few nice moments, but on the whole it felt far behind the curve of SF TV when it aired. TV had moved on, and Crusade just didn't cut it. It looked cheap, felt cheap at the time. When I last revisited it, I just found it very poor and almost cringy to watch. Again, it has some rare moments of quality (Path of Sorrows being the only really good episode IMHO), but overall the bar is just too low and again, I never felt it deserved to continue. None of what came after the original B5 had the same energy or creativity. Even Lost Tales, with it's lovely modern CGI, felt empty and hollow. Like an empty husk, compared to what the series was.

So, yes, I am tempted to say that the prospects of further B5 are very much dead. Perhaps that's a good thing. I do occasionally yearn for something more, but that's nostalgia for the series speaking, more than any great need for it. If there were to be something set in that universe, or indeed a hard reboot, let someone else have a go at it. I don't think JMS has that many stories left in the B5 universe that urgently need telling. Nothing since the original 5 year arc has persuaded me otherwise. I'm sure he mentioned on twitter he'd happily let Joss Whedon handle a B5 reboot. Now, that would be a thing to behold!

I would however, be overjoyed to see JMS work on something entirely new, with a space opera bent. Whilst Sense8 had loads of potential, I also came away quite disappointed that the show's central message (wonderful thing that it was) seemed to take priority over telling a good story.
    Last edited by Ubik; 03-11-2019, 04:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    And of course nothing is ever dead if people are still talking about it - see this conversation as an example.

Truth be told it might be dead to Warner Brothers as long as JMS has a say in it. I was thinking about this question after I responded yesterday. In this era of reboots, prequels, and sequels there is a key component B5 has that others don't, JMS. Most of what we see these days comes to be because new people come to power with regard to what might happen with those properties. B5 still has JMS. In terms of what Warner Brothers looks at there have been five attempts to keep the Babylon 5 franchise going - Season 5 and The TV movies, Crusade, Legend of The Rangers, The Memory of Shadows, and The Lost Tales. Through plenty of fault of their own, all of those examples did not bare the fruit Warner Brothers was looking for. I think those examples might give us a clue as to why Warner Brothers might see JMS as a liability rather than the asset we know. So while we all want to have JMS give us more Babylon 5, Warner Brothers likely would prefer JMS give them total control over the property before they even begin to discuss a future project.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Also, the football game was unforeseen when Rangers was scheduled as the game had been postponed due to the events of Sept. 11 that year. Whether we get anything more or not, I don't think it's the right mind-set to consider it 'dead'. We did, after all, get a complete story.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by Truth66 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what happened with Legend of the Rangers. A pilot that wasn't well promoted and aired in direct competition with a major football game.
    Consider yourself corrected - in part. It did end up airing against a major football game, but it was well promoted. There were trailers in theaters as well as television ads.

Sorry I can't respond more to your topic, but I have to go to work.

Leave a comment:

• Truth66
    started a topic Is The Babylon 5 Universe Dead?

Is The Babylon 5 Universe Dead?

I know that the question of whether the Babylon 5 Universe is Dead will be viewed as sacrilege. But, seriously. If memory serves me correctly, it's been almost 5 years since there was any reference to a motion picture in the Babylon 5 Universe. A couple of years before that there was a possibility of a Babylon 5 reboot series.

We are in an age surrounded by sequels, prequels, reboots, etc. Yet for some reason the Babylon 5 Universe continues to be an after thought, if at all. I seem to recall JMS indicating once that if they can make a Brady Bunch movie, they can make a Babylon 5 movie. Everyone knows how vast the Babylon 5 Universe is with an infinite possibility of quality stories to be told. Yet there seems to be no interest to explore that vast potential. It really seems that the Babylon 5 Universe has joined the First Ones and gone beyond the rim.

Having said all of that, I do have a great concern. If by chance that someone does do a project in the Babylon 5 Universe, there's a huge risk that it to will get the short end of the promotional stick like the original series did. I've always maintained that had Babylon 5 got the same level of promotion that other series do, it would have had a much larger following that it does now. If that happens, then the powers that be will view any new project as a failure and kill it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what happened with Legend of the Rangers. A pilot that wasn't well promoted and aired in direct competition with a major football game.
Working...
X