To Dream In The City Of Sorrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Dream In The City Of Sorrows

The power went out yesterday and has been out all day today, until now, so I had nothing else to do but read, and I chose City of Sorrows. I'd read it before, of course, but it had been a few years. I mostly really liked it. The constant dream repetition was annoying. I don't like having to reread the same thing over and over again. And it was weird having Sinclair constantly think about Valen since I knew he was Valen. The Catherine chapters before she showed up on Minbar were my favorite part. Marcus was so different at first, and I had a hard time picturing him as he who he was before he becomes our Marcus. Marcus tells someone in the show the joke about Sinclair being hard to understand and how you have to stand on your head to try and figure it out, but then he says it about Sech Turval in the book, and so that annoyed me. Especially since in the book, it made sense, but it didn't make any sense at all as a thing to say about Sinclair when you compare it to how Sinclair and Marcus interact in the book. I kept waiting for some payoff for that line and it never came. The only other thing I didn't like was having Sinclair and Marcus and Catherine all there at the time rift having this adventure that's as far as I remember never mentioned in the show. It just doesn't seem to fit at all with War Without End 2.

I did like how they showed Sinclair sending the message to Garibaldi. And I liked Ulkesh and how Sinclair was so suspicious and untrusting of him. I wished that the book would have included when Sinclair finds out he's Valen because that would have been really fun to read to get his thoughts and to re-read war without end with all his thoughts and feelings. I also wish they would have made the note more explicit like in the comic with, "I found her."

It was really a long time ago I read it, but remember it being one of my favorites of the B5 books. Maybe a re-read is something I need to do.

Comment

I would definitely recommend a reread. (nods head) I would try and read the comic which tells the story that is only referenced in the beginning, too, but I"m not sure which comic that was in. I don't think I have all the comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
        The only other thing I didn't like was having Sinclair and Marcus and Catherine all there at the time rift having this adventure that's as far as I remember never mentioned in the show.
        There's a brief mention in season 5 when Garibaldi says everything always goes wrong if he eats at the Fresh Aire restaurant and mentions that Catherine disappeared. Wasn't more detailed than that though.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post

There's a brief mention in season 5 when Garibaldi says everything always goes wrong if he eats at the Fresh Aire restaurant and mentions that Catherine disappeared. Wasn't more detailed than that though.
          He does? Thats great! I did not remember that. I thought that almost everything in that story was only portrayed in book or comic form.

Comment

Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
            He does? Thats great! I did not remember that. I thought that almost everything in that story was only portrayed in book or comic form.
            JoeD80 is correct. I haven't reached that point in Season 5 yet with C & T, but I remember that scene from previous viewings.

Comment

Working...
            X