JMS cleans someone's clock! (March 16)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanorc
    Never mind, there's nothing worth quoting there even though s/he found it necessary to edit the post to add a very old 'joke'.

Welcome to the china shop, bull...I mean troll.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by colonyearth
      I took the liberty of altering is slightly to fit this particular instance and moron.

CE
      Nicely done. I've just discovered a feature here I've never explored. You can click on the 'Members' button at the top of the screen, find the profile of a person who's no longer worth your time to read and click on a link to add them to your 'ignore' list. I've read that it's a truism in psychology that when one is totally and completely ignored, that person tends to go away.

Shall we test it?

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I can't believe he said that.....

He deserves the same fate as kosh's ship.
        Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

Comment

Yes the joke does imply that the US police are racist.
          Andrew Swallow

Comment

<<Yes the joke does imply that the US police are racist.>>

Some are. So are some firefighters. And some garbage men. And some librarians...
            Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

IS THIS THREAD BEING MODERATED?
              Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

Comment

Originally posted by circularREASON
                IS THIS THREAD BEING MODERATED?
                Doug doesn't moderate every thread, never has since the message boards began last year. Which is why I suggested using the 'Ignore' feature.

Jan

Comment

I think we need to have some threads locked out once we determine their redundancy, etc. Like the subject of the "Nightwatch lives" thread was moved to the OTD board.
                  Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                    Jeez, JMS is not a very humble guy. I dislike people who brag. This one guy I know used to call and e-mail every time he bought something. "I got a NEW laptop!" Awards mean pretty much nothing, unless they are chosen by fans. I don't know if Hugos and SFWA's are, but who cares? I would have just laughed off the ignoramus. My mom used to have a saying..."Laugh your way to the bank."

And even though Voyager buggered up the episode with The Rock, I think they could have worked a wrestler into an episode in a really creative way. The rest of the ideas from TNT were erroneous, though.
                    JMS is actually pretty humble, honest and straightforward.

It is amazing though, that you can deduce his character from reading his response there. That is quite an ability.

As others pointed out, he was merely listing awards the show had won, that were of value, unlike the many other silly awards that are given out.

What you have to understand is the 10+ year battle JMS has had to wage on the internet against critics, slanderers, and general morons from the time B5 was greenlighted until the present. Nincompoops with no facts, knowledge or anything else would frequently appear and spout off on the net. You can either let things continue, and they spread, or you can stamp them out immediately.

When you are faced with outright lies and distortions of fact, and your own decisions, motives and actions degraded, then you can either laugh off the ignoramus or respond. JMS chose to respond. There is a time to turn the other cheek, and there is a time to kick someone in the nuts. As a man of character once said, "You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word alone".
                    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Comment

<<As others pointed out, he was merely listing awards the show had won, that were of value, unlike the many other silly awards that are given out.>>

Hey, yay for the awards. You got'em, flaunt'em.

Babylon 5 is my favorite TV show of all time now that I have seen it all the way through. But I don't think the awards should be a gauge of a track record, as the awards are given out by intellectuals who no doubt see things differently than the average Joe. We are all pretty cultured people on this board. Now from where I sit at this moment, I can look down to the production floor and see people who barely know how to read. I am in the middle. I am a smart guy, but I am not into the whole intellectual thing. So JMS probably won over the intellectual crowd for sure, probably most people like me who are INTO the genre and probably people from the lower levels of society who liked to see space battles and gun fights. The ratings...why do you think these imbecilec reality shows get the ratings? One, they're trendy for the common man, two, they are "chix in bikinis, man! woooo!" for the cretins. I doubt many intellectuals watch Survivor: Bottomless Pit or whatever. My point is that pure intellectuals are in the minority, and JMS accomplished a lot by catching them and normal people like me. But when you don't get the ratings, it's bye bye. Yeah, TNT jumped the gun and messed with his concepts, and yes, I loved Crusade, but looking at it from a network exec's POV, I go "Hey, the ratings ain't what we thought they'd be! Get more sex and blood!" They were trying to go for the lowest common denominator.

So the awards aren't the true accomplishment here...the crowd that B5 garnered and maintained is...and the diversity of that crowd. I just felt like JMS was shortchaning us when he bragged about the awards. I am sure he loves the B5 fans, as well. They were his bread and butter.

So, I guess I was just bitter about that. Apologies for any confusion.

Comment

I am sure he loves the B5 fans, as well. They were his bread and butter.
                        Take a look in the Lurker's Guide and try reading some of the hundreds of posts JMS made while Conversing with Fans on a Daily Basis starting in November 1991. Daily. At a time when he was so busy he was only getting about 3 hours sleep a night.

Yeah, I'd say he considered the Fans.

Just a Few Things:

Quantium 40, the "element" needed to make Jump Gates work was named by a Fan on Genie. Dave still has the T-Shirt JMS sent him for winning the "Name That Element" Contest (Yeah, I know the guy who came up with it.)

And today I have amended the B5 bible to include the following notation:
                        "The Babylon 5 station is located in neutral territory, in grid epsilon, at coordinates 470/22/18."

Onward!

jms
                        Grid Epsilon (and those Coordinates) was the Science Fiction Roundtable - Babylon 5 - Topic on GEnie (Grid Epsilon) where JMS was Posting all those messages.

Oh, and of course, the most obvious reference to Fans On Babylon 5: The Lurkers in Downbelow...

Comment

<<At a time when he was so busy he was only getting about 3 hours sleep a night.>>

I rarely get more than five. I just feel so excited about life. I feel like sleep is a waste of time. I lay in bed some nights until 4:00AM, thinking of this and that. Not worrying...just thinking. It must be some kind of natural adrenaline, as I just don't feel tired. Sometimes I will get about ten straight hours on a weekend. But right now, I am working 6-7 days a week and then they asked me to work a few hours over into third shift because my third shift peer has been out for three weeks now (read: FMLA, another beaut signed by Clinton and abused by millions). But...I don't feel tired. Right now, I am ready to go home, shower up and watch some B5! I think I will head for home right now!

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                            Doug doesn't moderate every thread, never has since the message boards began last year. Which is why I suggested using the 'Ignore' feature.

Jan
                            Thanks for the tip Jan!

Aaron
                            ---
                            Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
                            www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

as the awards are given out by intellectuals who no doubt see things differently than the average Joe.
                              Not in the case of the awards being discussed: The Hugo (Babylon 5 won Two) is voted on by FANS. It is awarded each year at the World Science Fiction Convention. A 100% Fan Run convention. US Worldcons are 100% Non Profit. (I've worked on one or two.)
                              Most of the people who work on a Worldcon actually Pay to be there. As in pay all their own expenses, hotel, transportation, meals, etc.
                              In return, they get to Purchase "Limited Edition" T-Shirts and such like things that are only available to people who actually Work a minumum of 20 hours during the convention.

It's not like a Vulcon or Creation Con where the organizers are making a Living milking the fans wallets for cash.

Back to the Hugo: Fans vote for it. How many recognizable "Intellectuals" have YOU seen wandering the halls of a Convention lately?

The Bradbury, the other award mentioned, is awarded by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. A group no one ever accused of being "a bunch of Intellectuals". <G>

It's a Peer award. Writers saying that they think some Writer other than themselves has done a better job than any other Writer that year.

Considering the quality of Ego involved, it's not a bad award to get.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                                Nicely done. I've just discovered a feature here I've never explored. You can click on the 'Members' button at the top of the screen, find the profile of a person who's no longer worth your time to read and click on a link to add them to your 'ignore' list. I've read that it's a truism in psychology that when one is totally and completely ignored, that person tends to go away.

Shall we test it?

Jan
                                An excellent idea, and done. I would ask that no one quote the narc, either.
                                I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Working...
                                X