Watching B5 with C&T - S5 (condensed)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jan View Post
    True. And I thought that at first since she'd give her 'legal' name at customs. But then the rest of the script doesn't match with what's said.
    So maybe it was changed on set, since Tessa is a nickname of Theresa and is easier to say? But that would seem to violate JMS' no ad-lib rule.

Comment

Just did a B5-Enc search:
      The printed Enc. solely knows "Theresa Halloran".
      The Online Enc. at least knows "Tessa" in 2 captions.
      (Where the source for both pics is the B5@20 book)

https://b5vault.com/?s=Tessa

B5-Stefan

--
      Franklin: "Excuse me, where I come from, one man from three leaves two."
      Marcus: "Where I come from is a far more interesting place."
      [Babylon5, Exogenesis]

Comment

Originally posted by B5-Stefan View Post
        Just did a B5-Enc search:
        The printed Enc. solely knows "Theresa Halloran".
        The Online Enc. at least knows "Tessa" in 2 captions.
        (Where the source for both pics is the B5@20 book)

https://b5vault.com/?s=Tessa
        B5-Stefan, thanks for sharing.

I wonder what Looney has to say on the matter. Come to think of it, no one's seen Looney in almost a week. I don't think he's frozen this time.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
          I wonder what Looney has to say on the matter. Come to think of it, no one's seen Looney in almost a week. I don't think he's frozen this time.
          <sarcastic mode on>
          Perhaps he is engaged watching StarTrek Discovery all over and again and again and again...
          <sarcastic mode off>
          ... or sth else happened.

Btw, about 1 month later as planned (must first finish my "The 100" rerun) I yesterday evening did start my 25th jubilee BABYLON5 rewatch with "The Gathering".
          B5-Stefan

--
          Ivanova: "You're a vicious man"
          Garibaldi: "I'm Head of Security. It's in the job description"

Comment

Btw, about 1 month later as planned I yesterday evening did start my 25th jubilee BABYLON5 rewatch with "The Gathering".
            B5-Stefan , how appropriate you're starting your rewatch as mine with C & T is coming to an end. As Lorien said in the next (and last) episode we'll watch, "This journey has ended. Another begins."

Comment

B5-Stefan , how appropriate you're starting your rewatch as mine with C & T is coming to an end. As Lorien said in the next (and last) episode we'll watch, "This journey has ended. Another begins."
              Babylon 5: Electric Boogaloo
              Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

"War Without End", Part Two (excerpt)

On May 28, 2017 we sat down to view the first episode of "Babylon 5", and on April 28, 2019 (23 months later), we watched the last.

But first I queued up "War Without End", Part Two. I told them the show lays out all the dots, but it doesn't do the best job connecting them all, so we were going to rewatch part of this episode from Season 3. I reminded them that the previous episode we watched was set in 2262, and that Londo gave Sheridan and Delenn an urn to give to their child... "When he turns sixteen," said C, completing my sentence for me. "That's right" I said, "So flashforward sixteen years, they hand over the urn to their son, who gets a Keeper on him. Under the influence of the Keeper, he heads off to Centauri Prime. Sheridan and Delenn follow, and now we're going to rewatch the events of 2278."

I wasn't sure how much of this they would remember. So I played all the 2278 events and fast-forwarded through all the 2260 events. It turns out that I made the right decision to revisit this material, as they didn't remember much of it. For example, during Londo's performance, C asked me if he was going to kill Sheridan and I said, "Watch".

I also took the opportunity to spell out some of the things that they wouldn't have understood the first time through. For example when Delenn said, "We created something that will endure for a thousand years", I paused the playback and said she was referring to the Interstellar Alliance. And when Delenn mentioned "the terrible price", I said that referred to Sheridan's reduced lifespan after dying on Z'ha'dum.

C asked me how they got the Keeper off David, and I said they killed the Drakh that had spawned David's Keeper, which caused it to die. She then asked how Londo was going to deal with his keeper, and I said, "Watch."

When G'Kar appeared, I said that he had somehow lost the prosthetic eye Dr. Franklin gave him, which is why he was wearing an eye patch. "But he went off with Lyta" C protested, and I said "Yes but he came back". When Londo and G'Kar strangled each other to death, and Vir came in and picked up the great seal of the Centauri Republic, they asked what role he had in all of this. I replied, "It's up to Vir to pick up the pieces, literally and figuratively."

"Sleeping in Light"

I introduced this by saying it takes places in 2281, so from the perspective of the characters at this point in their lives, Londo and G'Kar died three years ago.

When Sheridan was shown in his new uniform at the beginning, C asked if that was him and I said, "Yes, he's wearing a Ranger uniform, because he's now the head of the Rangers."

Through the final episode T enjoyed the humor, e.g., Ivanova's admission she's given speeches in her sleep and Vir's upside-down exasperated "What?!?"

When Garibaldi served drinks to himself and Dr. Franklin on Mars, C asked if he had started drinking again, and I said, "No, that's orange juice."

Sheridan's statement that he was going for a Sunday drive generated another Q & A with C:

Q. Where's he going?
                A. He's going out into space.

Q. Why is he doing that?
                A. Watch. He'll explain it.

As Garibaldi was leaving the station for the final time, I pointed out that, even though he was still on the wagon, he took a shot glass as a memento. And when JMS appeared I quickly said, "That's the creator of the show." T recognized, and commented on, that JMS was turning off the lights in his cameo.

When Marcus' credit was shown, C once again remarked that he was the only good looking guy on the show. T's final comment was, "That was very interesting" and I replied, "Good. I'm glad you liked it."

I let the end credits play all the way through:

Comment

"War Without End", Part Two (excerpt)

On May 28, 2017 we sat down to view the first episode of "Babylon 5", and on April 28, 2019 (23 months later), we watched the last.

But first I queued up "War Without End", Part Two. I told them the show lays out all the dots, but it doesn't do the best job connecting them all, so we were going to rewatch part of this episode from Season 3. I reminded them that the previous episode we watched was set in 2262, and that Londo gave Sheridan and Delenn an urn to give to their child... "When he turns sixteen," said C, completing my sentence for me. "That's right" I said, "So flashforward sixteen years, they hand over the urn to their son, who gets a Keeper on him. Under the influence of the Keeper, he heads off to Centauri Prime. Sheridan and Delenn follow, and now we're going to rewatch the events of 2278."

I wasn't sure how much of this they would remember. So I played all the 2278 events and fast-forwarded through all the 2260 events. It turns out that I made the right decision to revisit this material, as they didn't remember much of it. For example, during Londo's performance, C asked me if he was going to kill Sheridan and I said, "Watch".

I also took the opportunity to spell out some of the things that they wouldn't have understood the first time through. For example when Delenn said, "We created something that will endure for a thousand years", I paused the playback and said she was referring to the Interstellar Alliance. And when Delenn mentioned "the terrible price", I said that referred to Sheridan's reduced lifespan after dying on Z'ha'dum.

C asked me how they got the Keeper off David, and I said they killed the Drakh that had spawned David's Keeper, which caused it to die. She then asked how Londo was going to deal with his keeper, and I said, "Watch."

When G'Kar appeared, I said that he had somehow lost the prosthetic eye Dr. Franklin gave him, which is why he was wearing an eye patch. "But he went off with Lyta" C protested, and I said "Yes but he came back". When Londo and G'Kar strangled each other to death, and Vir came in and picked up the great seal of the Centauri Republic, they asked what role he had in all of this. I replied, "It's up to Vir to pick up the pieces, literally and figuratively."

"Sleeping in Light"

I introduced this by saying it takes places in 2281, so from the perspective of the characters at this point in their lives, Londo and G'Kar died three years ago.

When Sheridan was shown in his new uniform at the beginning, C asked if that was him and I said, "Yes, he's wearing a Ranger uniform, because he's now the head of the Rangers."

Through the final episode T enjoyed the humor, e.g., Ivanova's admission she's given speeches in her sleep and Vir's upside-down exasperated "What?!?"

When Garibaldi served drinks to himself and Dr. Franklin on Mars, C asked if he had started drinking again, and I said, "No, that's orange juice."

Sheridan's statement that he was going for a Sunday drive generated another Q & A with C:

Q. Where's he going?
                  A. He's going out into space.

Q. Why is he doing that?
                  A. Watch. He'll explain it.

As Garibaldi was leaving the station for the final time, I pointed out that, even though he was still on the wagon, he took a shot glass as a memento. And when JMS appeared I quickly said, "That's the creator of the show." T recognized, and commented on, that JMS was turning off the lights in his cameo.

When Marcus' credit was shown, C once again remarked that he was the only good looking guy on the show. T's final comment was, "That was very interesting" and I replied, "Good. I'm glad you liked it."

I let the end credits play all the way through:
                  Wait, no tears? No emotional overtures? Sleeping in Light always gets me.

Comment

WHY PUT THE CREDITS HERE?!?!?!?! ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE ME EMOTIONAL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

BTW, Are we going to get a "Final Thoughts" segment from C & T?
                    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Yeah, also curious to know what their final verdict was? As viewers used to more modern TV, did they find it dated in any way?

Comment

Yes please: Did they give a sum up?
                        Perhaps comparisons to other sf-shows?

Btw, about 1 month later as planned (must first finish my "The 100" rerun) I
                        yesterday evening did start my 25th jubilee BABYLON5 rewatch with "The Gathering".
                        A few days later -yesterday- I progressed to
                        The Parliament of Dreams and Mind War.
                        B5-Stefan

--
                        David Sheridan: "Never start a fight, but always finish it."

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                          Wait, no tears? No emotional overtures? Sleeping in Light always gets me.
                          There seems to be two schools of thought regarding SiL:
                          1. It's epic and incredibly moving
                          2. It's boring as hell
                          I think C & T fell somewhere in the middle, but much closer to #1. I think they were reasonably engaged but thought it was a bit slow. But no tears.
                          Last edited by alpha128; 04-29-2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                            WHY PUT THE CREDITS HERE?!?!?!?! ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE ME EMOTIONAL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
                            Nah, I was just trying to get you to come back - and it looks like it worked!

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                              BTW, Are we going to get a "Final Thoughts" segment from C & T?
                              Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                              Yeah, also curious to know what their final verdict was? As viewers used to more modern TV, did they find it dated in any way?
                              Yes please: Did they give a sum up? Perhaps comparisons to other sf-shows?
                              I didn't ask them for a final verdict. But if you've been following these threads, you'll know what they think of the show. I think their minds were pretty well made up by Season 4 and neither Season 5 nor SiL moved the needle for where they ended up.

I think they both followed the story pretty well, but we all know that the B5 story can be hard to follow at times.

T consistently enjoyed the humor and the action in the show.

C, who early on said she's "not 'wired' for fantasy", got sufficiently engaged to make predictions as to where it was going and ask very sf questions like, "Does David have a headbone?"

As for as being dated, C did mention on more than one occasion that the computer graphics looked inferior to those of today. Of course we all know that the DVDs cropped and blew up the special effects, so it's not exactly a fair comparison to the effects of today.

As for comparisons to other sf-shows, they don't really watch sf, so for them to get through the entire series (even if Seasons 1 and 5 were condensed) is an accomplishment IMO. The only other sf show we all watched together is "Person of Interest". I can say that C was not happy that
                              Former CIA agent Reese (Jim Caviezel) was killed off
                              on POI and likewise was not happy that Marcus (in her opinion "the only good looking guy on the show") was killed off in B5.

That said, if they give any follow-up comments, I'll add them to this thread.
                              Last edited by alpha128; 04-29-2019, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Cheers Alpha! Sensing we don't have two news mega fans or anything of that ilk. Nice that they gave the show a chance and enjoyed it.

Comment

Working...
                                X