Watching B5 with C&T - S5 (condensed)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"And All My Dreams, Torn Asunder"

I began by reminding them that, in the previous episode, Lennier had uncovered evidence that the Centauri were behind the attacks. I told them this was a very important episode in which the other shoe drops. And when Sheridan dropped his slipper I said, "And there it is" and T said, "Ah the other shoe." As an aside, I still don't understand why "The Wheel of Fire" is the "title track" for this season and not this episode.

C asked, "Are the Centauri really behind the attacks?" and I replied, "Yes and no." "Some of the Centauri?", she wondered aloud.

When Garibaldi was shown passed out drunk C said, "I knew that was going to happen."

When Londo was protesting G'Kar's arrest order and saying "I go where he goes", T saw where this was heading and said, "They'll arrest him too." And when Londo said, "Even one as arrogant as this one would not take it upon himself to imprison his own Prime Minister", and then was shown in a cell, C said "Wrong!"

"Movements of Fire and Shadow"

At the beginning I reminded them that the Alliance had declared war on the Centauri, the Centauri had declared war on the Alliance, and that Londo and G'Kar were locked up together in a cell on Centauri Prime.

During the scene in Vir's temporary quarters, I noted that I wouldn't want to sleep in one of those "tube beds":
    Click image for larger version  Name:	movements-of-fire-and-shadow-04.jpg Views:	7 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	151285

Not a lot of commentary from C & T. C noted that there were a lot of explosions in this episode. At the end when the Drazi and Narn fleets opened fire, T asked rhetorically, "How are they going to get out of this one?"
    Last edited by alpha128; 03-19-2019, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
      T asked rhetorically, "How are they going to get out of this one?"
      HAHAHAHA!!!!! So true. Makes me wonder what might have been if Season 5 hadn't been the end? What if JMS had been able to keep the show going? Think of how the Universe might have changed. I am totally serious. I know certain things would have had to remain on track, like Londo and G'Kar's fate, but there could have been so many other things that changed. We could have seen Vir as a really leader of resistance and so much more.

So do you think their lack of commentary means they are more or less engaged with this season?

Side note: How does that "tube bed" really save any space?

Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
        HAHAHAHA!!!!! So true. Makes me wonder what might have been if Season 5 hadn't been the end? What if JMS had been able to keep the show going? Think of how the Universe might have changed. I am totally serious. I know certain things would have had to remain on track, like Londo and G'Kar's fate, but there could have been so many other things that changed. We could have seen Vir as a really leader of resistance and so much more.
        Yes, we could have seen, on screen, events that were instead fleshed out in novels like the Centauri Prime trilogy and the Psi Corp trilogy.

So do you think their lack of commentary means they are more or less engaged with this season?
        Engagement remains high, particularly for T. I'm sure C will perk up for the next episode. She's asked me more than once if Londo has his keeper yet.

Side note: How does that "tube bed" really save any space?
        As you can almost see in this still from "Day of the Dead", the guest quarters feature two "tube beds", one directly above the other:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	xB5AG-101-featured.jpg.pagespeed.ic.FVu9HMEiZ-.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.8 KB ID:	151308

But still, a conventional bunk bed would take up only slightly more space, and be a heck of a lot easier to get in and out of, particularly for the sleeper in the top bunk.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha128 View Post

But still, a conventional bunk bed would take up only slightly more space, and be a heck of a lot easier to get in and out of, particularly for the sleeper in the top bunk.
          Exactly!!!!! Wait I would actually argue it would take up far less space. I mean what is happening with all of the space on the other side of the wall the tubes go into? Do the tubes just protrude into the room next door?
          Last edited by Looney; 03-20-2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Exactly!!!!! Wait I would actually argue (a conventional bunk bed) would take up far less space. I mean what is happening with all of the space on the other side of the wall the tubes go into? Do the tubes just protrude into the room next door?
            Good point! Now you've got me wondering what the room next door looks like!
            Last edited by alpha128; 03-20-2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

"The Fall of Centauri Prime"

As we sat down to watch this, I told them that we were heading into the final five episodes of the series. T said, "That should last us another month." I told C that a specific event, that she had asked about more than once, was happening in this episode.

During the opening credits, when Jerry Doyle appeared, C asked if Garibaldi was still drinking. I replied that he was holding it together lately, but he hadn't quit drinking. When Jeff Conaway's credit came up C said, "This probably wasn't as prestigious as 'Taxi', but it did give him several years of employment."

Near the beginning C reiterated her past comment about Sheridan and Delenn having the most chaste romance in history and said, "They'll never have a son if they don't do more than hold hands." And when Sheridan was told that Delenn's White Star has been missing for almost 12 hours C joked, "That's OK, he can find someone else to hold hands with."

C asked why the Regent had turned off the Centauri planetary defense network, and I said "He was told to." "By whom?" she asked, and I said she'd find out in a minute. When the Drakh was shown, T said he was ugly. C quipped, "They kill off the good looking ones on this show. He's so ugly he'll be on the show forever."

C then asked, seriously, if the Drakh was going to kill Londo and I replied, "No, not literally." The Regent then reinforced that the Drakh did not want Londo's life. Later, I had to explain to them that the keeper killed the Regent when it detached itself from him. C asked if it was going to attach itself to Londo now, and I said "Not that one."

T got a good laugh when Londo said, "You would have done the same (risked your life to save mine)" and G'Kar replied, "Yes, but I am a better person."

When the second Keeper was about to attach itself to Londo, C asked why Londo was allowing it and I reminded her that the Drakh would otherwise kill millions of Centauri, so Londo had no choice. When the montage of carefree happy Londo was shown, C asked the purpose of that sequence. I said it was because, in a way, Londo's life is now over.

When Londo walked to his inauguration, C noted how there was debris in front of the Royal Palace, but none in front of the Centaurum. Speaking of the palace, T said that it looked like a model was used, but I told him it was all CGI.

"Wheel of Fire"

I introduced this one by saying with the Centauri War ended, the focus was shifting away from Londo and on to the other characters for a while. I reminded them that although Londo is now the emperor, it is the Drakh who are in charge on Centauri Prime.

T as usual enjoyed the humor chuckling when, e.g., G'Kar raised his hands and the crowd of Narns fell silent and dropped to their knees.

During the scene when Earth Security HQ was briefing Lochley and Zack about terrorist attacks on Psi Corps property, C & T gave out an "Oh yeah" of recognition when the phrase "Remember Byron" was mentioned.

C was engrossed in Lochley's story about her father, even speculating that he was unhappy because he wanted a boy. "That wasn't it" I said.

When Delenn collapsed, C asked if Lyta was responsible, and I said there was another reason. "She's pregnant?" C then inquired. "Very good", I replied. "Will he be born in a cocoon?" was C's next question. I said nothing more on the subject.

They both laughed when Lyta telepathically destroyed the camera in her cell, with C adding, "That takes care of that."

When G'Kar started outlining the solution to his problem, C asked if he was going to take the other Narns with him. I said no, only Lyta.

When the truth of Garibaldi's deal was revealed, C asked if he would be stealing money, and I said no, he would be laundering money. She then asked, "That doesn't violate his principles?" I replied he was willing to do it to get back at Bester.

T got another good laugh when Delenn told Sheridan, "One would think that you've never seen a pregnant half-human, half-Minbari before."

When Londo was shown on the throne at the end, C asked if he was drinking to put his keeper to sleep, and I replied "Not yet."

Comment

That was tough to read - flash backs of when I was first GOING THROUGH these episodes. I use that phrase because nearing the end of the series I wasn't "watching" anymore. The end was near and I knew it. My only solace was hope that the B5 Universe was continuing with Crusade and more movies. It was still emotionally draining to sit there and watch as things came to a close.

I am glad that are so engaged. I can't wait to hear some real emotional reactions. I think, at a minimum, we'll get a little. At least I hope.

Comment

I am glad that are so engaged. I can't wait to hear some real emotional reactions. I think, at a minimum, we'll get a little. At least I hope.
                  I'm sure there will be some emotional reactions, even if they're just from me. I can't listen to Christopher Franke's "break our hearts" theme without getting a little emotional.

Last edited by alpha128; 04-09-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I don't know why you would want to do that too me. If I want to hear it I'll watch the episode or put the CD in and cry at the time of MY choosing.

Comment

I don't know why you would want to do that too me. If I want to hear it I'll watch the episode or put the CD in and cry at the time of MY choosing.
                      To paraphrase the Psi Cop in "And Now for a Word", now it's everywhere - for your convenience.

At this writing, the next episode is "Objects at Rest", which is the first time we'll all hear this theme.

Comment

Working...
                      X