25th Anniversary - "Midnight on the Firing Line"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25th Anniversary - "Midnight on the Firing Line"

Three weeks from today, January 26, will be the 25th anniversary of Babylon 5's premier in the US. "Midnight on the Firing Line" was the third episode produced and first to air.
    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

My god... I was 7 years old when it began... where does that time go...
    "Ahh...Beautiful. I will miss this. When it is gone." Kosh Naranek - 26 February, 2258.

https://babylon5.xyz

Comment

I recall seeing it on Dutch television a bit later. I did not like the pilot much, but this looked more like my cup of tea.
      The rest is history.
      Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Originally posted by Apsu View Post
        My god... I was 7 years old when it began... where does that time go...
        I was only 37 when it first aired.

I actually got to watch it a few days before it first aired thanks to having a C band satellite dish. Back then they didn't scramble the direct feed to their PTEN affiliates. I used to record both B5 and DS9 on a hifi VCR. DS9 would have either Michael Dorn or Rene Auberjonois do prebroadcast sound checks right after the SMPTE color bar went out. They would say "this is the left channel, this is the right channel, center and surround." I never heard the sound check for episodes of B5. Either they performed them before my VCR started recording or not at all.
        Last edited by Kraig; 01-06-2019, 05:56 PM.

Comment

About a month into being 19 for Looney. I wish I could say where does the time go, but in this instance it seems like 19 was ages and ages ago. Of course time speeds up as you get older.
          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

:O Look at us ! We are definitely a diverse and intergenerational bunch of people !
            In other words, the best way to learn and grow from experience of others.
            "Ahh...Beautiful. I will miss this. When it is gone." Kosh Naranek - 26 February, 2258.

https://babylon5.xyz

Comment

It aired in 1994? Feels like yesterday. First time I noticed the series was 1996. I am not sure they aired the first season in Sweden.
              But thanks for the heads up, that must be celebrated!

Comment

OMG! I was 30 freaking years old at the time. Where the hell has the time gone? So much has occurred in the past 25 years I have trouble believing it's been so long. In some ways I'm exactly the same person I was back then and in other ways entirely different.
                All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

So, how is everyone planning on celebrating?

I just realized that making the Bagna Cauda from Dining on Babylon 5 and watching the episode would be a good start
                  I've read somewhere though that there is something strange with how they eat it in the show. Does this sound familiar with anyone, or am I just remembering things wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
                    So, how is everyone planning on celebrating?

I just realized that making the Bagna Cauda from Dining on Babylon 5 and watching the episode would be a good start
                    I've read somewhere though that there is something strange with how they eat it in the show. Does this sound familiar with anyone, or am I just remembering things wrong?
                    I'm not sure I ever heard anything but as I recall, they were dipping bread cubes into the fondue and most recipes I see suggest dipping veggies. Though I'm sure bread would absorb more of the sauce.
                    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Satai with Punsch View Post
                      I just realized that making the Bagna Cauda from Dining on Babylon 5 ...
                      ... and You should respect what Dr. Franklin said ;-)

--
                      Garibaldi cooking Bagna Cauda for himself and Dr. Franklin.
                      Garibaldi: "Trust me, Doc, you are gonna love this!"
                      Franklin: "I can feel my arteries hardening just being in the same room with it!"
                      [Babylon5, A Distant Star]

Comment

Originally posted by B5-Stefan View Post

... and You should respect what Dr. Franklin said ;-)

--
                        Garibaldi cooking Bagna Cauda for himself and Dr. Franklin.
                        Garibaldi: "Trust me, Doc, you are gonna love this!"
                        Franklin: "I can feel my arteries hardening just being in the same room with it!"
                        [Babylon5, A Distant Star]
                        That is how you recognize good tasting food, right?

Comment

I will be taking part in a "Babylon 5 at 25" panel at Gallifrey One a couple of weeks later. They will also have a panel with Mira Furlan, Claudia Christian, and Pat Tallman on their main stage as well. Pat is definitely doing a solo panel and Mira may take part in a screening of Space Command with Marc Scott Zicree.

Jan, any extra B5 goodies you could ship to Jason for the panel?
                          Webmaster
                          SFTV.org
                          B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

Originally posted by sftv View Post
                            I will be taking part in a "Babylon 5 at 25" panel at Gallifrey One a couple of weeks later. They will also have a panel with Mira Furlan, Claudia Christian, and Pat Tallman on their main stage as well. Pat is definitely doing a solo panel and Mira may take part in a screening of Space Command with Marc Scott Zicree.

Jan, any extra B5 goodies you could ship to Jason for the panel?
                            Great news about the panel! I sent you a PM regarding swag.

Comment

Last weekend I was at a Science Fiction Marathon and they showed, presumably in honor of this anniversary, the "Babylon 5" Season 1 opening credits and followed by a few minutes of "Midnight on the Firing Line".

They also showed the opening credits of "The Six Million Dollar Man", but that was done as an intro to Upgrade (2018).

Comment

Working...
                              X