Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranger1
    replied
    Up-scaling B5 to HD wont get rid of its dirt, thats another process which is very costly.

Since i dont have a real HD TV im not in a hurry to get either BR or HD-DVD, if ill get one of 'em it would be for backup'ing purposes on my puter.

Leave a comment:

• moreorless
    replied
    Originally posted by NotSoWize
    Funny, I never really thought about how rare it was for anyone to be "outdoors" on B5 until now.
    Watch an episode of Startrek TNG where they visit a planet and I think it becomes clear why they avoided it. Either you end up with a "pop on the bus to the nearest desert/field" look or the same plastic rocks we saw last week rearranged.

I'd say most of the CGI did a good job of hiding its limatations aswell, ships with limated animation and lazers/explosions must me alot easier to produce than CG characters for example.

Leave a comment:

• SLerman
    replied
    Also, Garibaldi runs through an alien (I cannot remember which race) city at least a couple of times during season five when he is nearly assassinated while drunk.
    That was the Drazi homeworld, for those that care.

I also remember some outdoor(-ish) scenes on Minbar, such as the beginning of War Without End when Sinclair talks with Rathenn.

Leave a comment:

• FuryPilot
    replied
    Funny, I never really thought about how rare it was for anyone to be "outdoors" on B5 until now.
    Don't forget those times when Sheridan went outside B5 in nothing but a suit.

FP

Leave a comment:

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    Don't forget about Mars! There were at least a couple of outdoor scenes on the red planet. When Stephen and crew sneak up on the bunker and when Lyta heads outside to signal the teeps throughout the Earth Alliance ships for example.

Also, Garibaldi runs through an alien (I cannot remember which race) city at least a couple of times during season five when he is nearly assassinated while drunk.

I think most of those shots aren't real outdoor scenes though but are just CG and sets made to look like they're outdoors. But even those are rare also.

Leave a comment:

• NotSoWize
    replied
    Don't forget about Mars! There were at least a couple of outdoor scenes on the red planet. When Stephen and crew sneak up on the bunker and when Lyta heads outside to signal the teeps throughout the Earth Alliance ships for example.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    I live to serve, I serve to live.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    Sure. We saw Londo go outside to see the Shadow ships passing overhead. AFAIK, that was the only real 'outdoor' scene. But there were faux outdoor scenes on Centauri Prime. And maybe you could count the scenes in the core of the Station since that space was large enough (theoretically, of course) to have its own weather patterns.

Jan
    I can always count on you for knowing trivia that I want to know.

Jon

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow
    I guess that's a good point. I just don't like things being messed with after they're already done. Just weirds me out. And...there were outdoor scenes?
    Sure. We saw Londo go outside to see the Shadow ships passing overhead. AFAIK, that was the only real 'outdoor' scene. But there were faux outdoor scenes on Centauri Prime. And maybe you could count the scenes in the core of the Station since that space was large enough (theoretically, of course) to have its own weather patterns.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    Originally posted by moreorless
    I wouldnt really mind considering the originals would still be out their on DVD. I'v only watched a few clips but the potential problem I see with the CG trek stuff is that it doesnt really fit in with the rest of the production.

In B5's case the live action stuff hasnt IMHO dated much, the lighting maybe isnt quite as good as top range productions today but generally they worked well within the limations of the budget(low number of sets, limated outdoor scenes etc). If you grafted state of the art CG onto that I don't honiestly think it would look very out of place. The problem I'd guess is that other than season 1 to get much improvement on anything but the the composite scenes you'd need to spend alot of money.
    I guess that's a good point. I just don't like things being messed with after they're already done. Just weirds me out. And...there were outdoor scenes?

Leave a comment:

• moreorless
    replied
    Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow
    Aww...the B5 CGi is part of the charm. I would be offended if it was redone. Kinda like I'm offended by the trek rerenderings I see that someone already quoted JMS before I could get to it though. heh.

Jon
    I wouldnt really mind considering the originals would still be out their on DVD. I'v only watched a few clips but the potential problem I see with the CG trek stuff is that it doesnt really fit in with the rest of the production.

In B5's case the live action stuff hasnt IMHO dated much, the lighting maybe isnt quite as good as top range productions today but generally they worked well within the limations of the budget(low number of sets, limated outdoor scenes etc). If you grafted state of the art CG onto that I don't honiestly think it would look very out of place. The problem I'd guess is that other than season 1 to get much improvement on anything but the the composite scenes you'd need to spend alot of money.

Leave a comment:

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil Harmonic
    Eh some stuff grated on me. The the intake engines of the Vorlon ships. And what about when the Vorlon killed Deathwalker, why on Earth did they miss the first time? And alot of explosions, usually when fighting raiders I didn't like. They could be redone following the old style. But like in the Ranger movies I LOVED how Hyperspace looked.

Yeah, some of it was a little bit cringe worthy, but these were all really big breakthroughs in CGI at the time. Redoing them, in my opinion, would cheapen some of the innovativeness of B5.

Leave a comment:

• Phil Harmonic
    replied
    Eh some stuff grated on me. The the intake engines of the Vorlon ships. And what about when the Vorlon killed Deathwalker, why on Earth did they miss the first time? And alot of explosions, usually when fighting raiders I didn't like. They could be redone following the old style. But like in the Ranger movies I LOVED how Hyperspace looked.

Leave a comment:

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil Harmonic
    Suppose it would be too much to ask to redo all of the CGI, hehe.

Aww...the B5 CGi is part of the charm. I would be offended if it was redone. Kinda like I'm offended by the trek rerenderings I see that someone already quoted JMS before I could get to it though. heh.

Jon

Leave a comment:

• Phil Harmonic
    replied
    Suppose it would be too much to ask to redo all of the CGI, hehe.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X