Watching Babylon 5 with L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"by any means necessary"
    Much laughter at the comedy in this one, especially the interplay between G;kar and Londo. I pointed out that on other shows, even now, you wouldn't have a woman in charge of the dockers guild, ever forward thinking bablyon 5.Also a coment about narn light years vs earth light years.
    "signs and portents"
    When Morden began visiting the diffferent ambassadors L first pointed out that he was "creepy looking". We also get our first sighting of a certain type of shp and mentioning of the shadows. There was some ccomment about the ship and also the fact that ivavnova got to go out on patrol again, so I think she's definitely engaging with the content.
    Next weeks review will be longer, i promse, my back went out friday evenign and i was in agony for much of the week so not focused,
    "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
      When Morden began visiting the diffferent ambassadors L first pointed out that he was "creepy looking".
      C says the same thing about Bester.

Comment

So Tuesday rolls around again and we watch this weeks episodes
        TKO
        I admit i did say to her this was considered one of the worst episodes in the show. She liked the hummouor of the jewish side of things with yossell. Also commented that Ivanova would not be happy with the Rabbi interfering and talking to the commander on her bhalf. Mentioned cultueral appropriation and how it resonated with today and the humans vs muh tai. Otherwise not much to say. she also metnioned the white star, which i'd forgotten about and the fact the titanic was part of white star lines. i'm saying nothing else on that here and neither are you lot.

Grail
        Much laughter, especially at the londo scenes. i ponted out that duece was in blade runner. She picked up on feeders to the right of me as a quote and I suggested it might be form the steelers wheel song "stuck in the middle with you"Liked Ivanvona's "no boom today, there's always aboom tomorrow, sonnner or later BOOM".
        Smething I noticed was that no g'kar in either episode, felt weird to have such a londo episode without g;kar.
        Last edited by phazedout; 02-12-2019, 01:12 PM.
        "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

iiiits tuesday, I'm sad nobody commented on last weeks episodes. but here we go again
          Eyes
          Initial confusion with Ben Zahn as Mr Morden (although not named, more "was he the one who went around everyone"). Took a fiarly instant dislike to him though, as we are supposed to. When Harriman tries to talk to Ivanova in C&C she was impressed by Susan's calm before finally losing the head with him and laughed out loud at the head a chamber pot comment) During the final confrontation scene she asked if Zahn's scar got darker. I didn't notice it at the time and may rewatch to comfirm (although that will involve swapping discs) overall seemed quite engaged with the episode. She realy seemed to enjoy the scenes with the mtoro cycle (although there was a comment of "it's not a realy motorcycle if it doesn't make the sound").
          Legacies
          I did point out towards the end of this one that it's not the last time we'll see neroon. She did speculte about whether they ever had the body in the first place. Not that much commentery on thsi episode but she's definitely noticed we haven't seen G'Kar for a while and in these two episodes, no londo either. I also pointed out no vir and got a "what?" I guess Vir hasn't made much of an impression on her yet.
          we#re now on the penultimate disc of season 1, I'll need to get my DVD player back from Essi soon as my season 2 is region one. I may show the gathering once i get the dvd player back. Just so she knows where it came from.

Comment

If she survived 'Eyes', I think she's golden. Although this one has some excellent Space Ham comedy moments courtesy of Gregory Martin's over-acting and scenery chewing. Always enjoy reading these, so do keep it up.
            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

When Harriman tries to talk to Ivanova in C&C she was impressed by Susan's calm before finally losing the head with him and laughed out loud at the head a chamber pot comment).
              "I will twist your head off and use it for a chamber pot!" is one of the great Ivanova comments. But I have to wonder if a human in 2258 would really know what a chamber pot was, given they've had indoor plumbing for three and a half centuries.

For that matter, I question whether twenty-third century humans would know what a VCR is. If "Deathwalker" was made today, I'm sure the dialogue would be changed to, "He's a Diver. It's a slang term from Earth tech, a DVR."
              Last edited by alpha128; 02-20-2019, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha128 View Post

For that matter, I question whether twenty-third century humans would know what a VCR is. If "Deathwalker" was made today, I'm sure the dialogue would be changed to, "He's a Diver. It's a slang term from Earth tech, a DVR."
                I don't think it will be an issue. Movies will likely survive well into the future and plenty of movies display VCRs as a means of watching movies during a certain time period. I happen to love EYES, but it is totally because of Jeffrey Combs. As I've stated in the past, I would love to see a story about what happened to Harriman Gray after he left B5.

Surprised L didn't have more to say about LEGACIES. That is really a great episode with a pretty good twist.
                Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                  I don't think it will be an issue. Movies will likely survive well into the future and plenty of movies display VCRs as a means of watching movies during a certain time period.
                  I agree that movies will likely survive into the future, and some of those movies will serve to document old technology like VCRs. That said however, there's no guarantee that future audiences will recognize what the old tech is, and know what it does.

Here's a real life example. I go to a science fiction marathon every year that prides itself at showing movies from every decade. One year they showed Destination Moon (1950). During the film a character says something like, "Now we're going to determine our trajectory", and the film cuts to a room full of gears mounted inside wooden boxes, all spinning wildly. "What is that? What the hell is that?" we shouted. Then somebody else shouted back, "It's a computer!"
                  Last edited by alpha128; 02-21-2019, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                    As I've stated in the past, I would love to see a story about what happened to Harriman Gray after he left B5.
                    Looney,
                    It's NOT a story idea. It's a story WISH. See the difference
                    And I'm a backer.

B5-Stefan

--
                    JMS: "Never Surrender Dreams"

Comment

A voice in the wilderness parts 1 and 2
                      'm confabbing this in to one episode, it effectiveley is so, there you go. Much laughter ,i mean seriously huge amoounts of laughter. That being said seemed a tad confused in pat one and commented epon the second departure of the shuttle to epislon 3 just prior to the ivanova is god speech "I'm still not clear about what's going on here" I explained it's a two parter and things would be revealed in time. When londo popped up with delenn L noted that there was still no g'kar. In truth I didn't realise there was such a long gap, one wonders if perhaps Andreas was foing a movie during this season, hence the long abscence. I'd also forgotten how short part 1 seems. When the hyperion emerged from the jump gate she said it looked like the yellow submarine, then went and looked up the name on her phone to confirm it was the same as the book by Dan simmons. When ivavnova commented that "whoever is piloting that shuttle is a madman" L correctly predicted it would be londo. She also commened that it was nice that when they went to an alien planet they didn't ust automatically be able to breathe. She really didn't like general pearson, several comments along the lines of "he's only making the situation worse". Iverall seemd to like the episodes even if it took a while for the plot to shake out and become clear.
                      On a perosnal note I checked as my multi region dbd player is currently in the girlfriends apartment and my season 2 is also region 2, so I'm not in as much of a rush to get it back. /My seasons 3, 4 5 and the movie collection is region one however, so the ps3 won't play that.

Comment

A voice in the wilderness parts 1 and 2
                        When the hyperion emerged from the jump gate she said it looked like the yellow submarine, then went and looked up the name on her phone to confirm it was the same as the book by Dan simmons.
                        A few years ago I went to a training class for Hyperion Planning, which includes a utility called Essbase Administration Services (or EAS for short). During a break I went up and told the instructor there was a science fiction show called Babylon 5 with a spaceship called the EAS Hyperion. She got a big kick out of it and said, "I'm going to tell the other instructors about this!"

Comment

I respect the Google search on the Dan Simmons book! Loved the Hyperion cantos. Proper good space opera. L has excellent taste.
                          Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

so a special this week (hence the slightly later posting) we watched 3 episodes in a row to round off season 1.
                            Babylon squared
                            not a huge amoount of commentery here. She said Delenn as she flew off looked like she had a stick up her butt (well not quite that, the word probed was mentioned). Thsi got her on an LOTR kick as she thought Zathras was kinda like gollum :O She also gueessed "the one" would be sinclair and "h we won't get to see the great war, as we only get five years and he look sa lot older than that in this episode. She did comment that babylon 4 looked a good bit bigger than our station
                            The Quality of Mercy
                            Loved, loved the Londo and Leineer scenes, to the extent she had to read the subtitles as she was laughing so much she missed some of the dialogue. Also afterwards when he explained what he had been using to grab the cards with it got an "ew his penis" comment. When Talia was scanning muller (who on his first appearance said he looked very german, why so german) There was no comment BTW on teh reappearance of the ombuds, I didn't bring it up. But anyway, she seemed to think that Talia should have been able to pull herself out of Meuller mind better than that, my response "she's only a P5" when she seemed to realise about the different P ratings, I didnt bring up bester again but she'll read this later once I tell her i've posted it.
                            Chrysalis
                            Lots to talk about here, when she spotted the date she commented that I had said that each season spanned a year (who knew, i said that during episode one, didn't think she'd remembered). when delenn was bulding the chrysalis device I pointed out that she had been building it throughout the season and got a reply was 2did she hadn't noticed (the joys of rewatch value folks) she commned thatshe figured itwas some sort cocoon when she sw the spinning effect and also knew the triluminary (whihc, when produced again she asked was that the thing delenn had been given in Babyon squared) looked like it was designed to fit in to the top of the thing she was building, when Leineer pointed out it was a chrysaliss she recognised the episode title.Soem comments on clarke and also the sort of man garibaldi is, he'd still be crawling towards the lift when other people would have bene dead 50 meters ago. There's a scene in medlab with his traitor having shot hi was then assinged to watch and L's comment about "yeah we see him you don't need to zoom in", ws delighted upon the return of g'kar, I told the story of how a throwaway line in the script by JMs (g'kar in a bath robe) led to a huge job for effects and make up as they had to do a full chest and shoulder piece. She was also kinda creepd out by Morden (whihc i suppose is sort of the point) Seh reconised him as the guy who went around to everybody and felt how awful it was when he was talking to his associates that nobody had noticed them on the station. She felt that Sinclair's closing line of the episode "nothing's the same any more" was very appropriate.

and that was pretty much it. i then committed an act of potentially pure evil
                            Since there was a half hour to go before her bus i said she had a choice. She could be left with the questions raised by that epiosde until next week or I could show her the teaser for season 2 epsode one and see if it answered any of those quesitons or raised more, Strong woman that she is, she reisted temptation.
                            Following her departure i asked her what she thought of sinclair. this spin off in to a question and a discussion whihc i've reproduced verbatum
                            He is okay. But not as colourful as some others. A bit too bland and proper to be truly interesting.
                            His arc might be interesting but as a character he fails to rouse much emotions in me. Dont dislike him either.
                            If we continue with LOTR comparisons. He is Frodo.
                            When Aragorn is the cool guy. And not sure if that would be Garibaldi or Ivanova.
                            Maybe they are Legolas and Gimli
                            From the movies, not the books.
                            Somehow it is not working very well. Feel like humans should be hobbits. And the ambassadors the rest of the 9. But then I am left with one.. or two?
                            Delenn would be Gandalf.
                            This is insane

so limiting your answers to aspects of their character in season 1 only how do you think our characters in Babylon 5 compare to LOTR, having spun of Zathras as smeagol/gollum. That might be speech mannerisms thing referring to self in the third person, but that's just me.
                            Last edited by phazedout; 03-05-2019, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Personally I've never been one to lean too heavily on the Lord of The Rings analogy. I feel the connections are VERY loose.
                              Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

I'm afraid I don't know the Lord of the Rings story well enough to comment. I've never understood how a quest story could be so heavily equated with a space opera like B5 but, as I said, I'm not really that familiar with LotR as I had to force myself to read it all (despite having loved The Hobbit).
                                "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Working...
                                X