Watching Babylon 5 with L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching Babylon 5 with L

So I started a thread back in July (whihc seems to ahve disappeared) about watching B5 with my Girlfriend. However we have many other series to watch and B5 has been put on hold.

Instead I've engaged with L another friend to whom I showed Midnight on the Firing line and Soul hunter.

I'll try and do it in teh style of the C^T thread, however I'm going to be showing her the whole thing, warts and all.
    I've eplzined it's a "novel for television" with season 1 as prologue, seasons 2,3 and 4 as acts I , II and III and season 5 as epilogue

Thus far she's quite engged, she likes Ivanova, loves Michael Garibaldi, a little cool on the commander, thinks Talia's accent is "affected and put on, it anoys her.

Other poitns to note
    Native finnish spekaer, but exceleltn linguist with skills in english, swedish, dutch and german. She's irked by the fact the subtitles on the DVDs in english are innacurate.
    So here's to hoping she'll engage, Iv'e bribed her with "you can wathc dr who on my projector and big screen if you le tme show you B5." I'm hoping as the stoies move on she'll get more engaged, plus it's an excuse for em to do a rewatch.
    I'l keep ye informed.
    Phaze
    on the "I stopepd doing these in 2016, I think I'll revive them for 2019" ID
    "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
    So I started a thread back in July (which seems to have disappeared) about watching B5 with my Girlfriend.
    It didn't disappear, it is still right here.

Instead I've engaged with L another friend to whom I showed Midnight on the Firing line and Soul hunter.

Native finnish speaker, but excellent linguist with skills in english, swedish, dutch and german. She's irked by the fact the subtitles on the DVDs in english are inaccurate.
    I turn the subtitles on when I watch the episodes with C & T. I have noticed that sometimes, JMS' dialogue is so wordy, that the subtitles rephrase it so it all fits on the screen. It's not that they change the meaning, they just tighten the wording, e.g., "Four score and seven years ago" gets changed to "87 years ago".

BTW, the next C & T update is coming, but it'll be another week or so. I normally do two episodes at a time, but treating "In the Beginning" as part of Season 4 means the last major update will be three episodes. At this point, they've seen everything except "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars".
    Last edited by alpha128; 12-01-2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Born to the purple:
      I opened this episode by explaining it was a londo centred one. L shuddered at Londo's use of the word "Femlaes",not so much skeevy as we discussed later, more that she fiinds the term disgusting. She loved the moments with Vir playing the game and then ko'dath stealing it once Vir went to fetch londo. She also comented that "if he's been dong what I think he's been doing, his hair looks remarkably well. No partiuclar arc type moments here
      I did tell her about this thread and it makes me wonder if alpha128 told C&T about his thread?
      Infection:
      We didn't have time to watch all of this so we'll come back to it on her next visit. She's an NCIS fan so when David walked in she gave a dleighted cry of "ducky". Also comented that "four inches isn't very much to hide something", L may be along to the forums, i've given her the link. We stopped this episod eabout 15 minutes in, so not much else to say. I did ppen with JMS quote form the script books "mia culpa, mia maxima culpa"
      "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

"Females" aside, still one of my favorite scenes in the series when you look at the grand scheme of everything. A moment before everything happens where G'Kar and Londo sit and enjoy themselves together.
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Infection (continued) and Parliment of dreams
          She agreed that infection looked silly, when Helson rips the insect lke protrusion from his chest and is puctred lying, presumably naked, on teh floor I got "us that ducky", u explained no, it was nelson, his assistant. She also seemed to delightin franklin arranging to get ducy arrested, overall o imression
          Parliment of dreams:
          Seemed to enjoy the humour in this episode, especially the drunk Londo scene (a comment re gods by the bushel, gods by the pound being a quote from somewhere else) She also noticed the look on g;kars face when Delenn said "the moment of your death" as he took a piece of rred fruit.not much else to say, apart from her comment about sinclair iintroducing the ahtiest first in the long line of "earth's dominant religion". She also seemed to enjoy the B plot and the fact that my cat's namesake was introduced as g;kars aid. There's a lot of humour n this episode.

We should ettle down in to about 2 episodes a week now, so expect more frequent updates.

Comment

Mind War
            Our introduction to bester, she kept asking me if I knew hin, said he reminder her of George Takei, rather than keep her in suspense I pointed out he had, in fact, been chekov. She loved, loved LOVED g;kars voice. Also had a lot of time for Bester chewiing the scneery, gave me a quote from Alan rickman "I dont play villains I play interesting characters. Seemed to really enjoy the humour as well. She described the aliens in sigma 957 as a "jellyfish". Also pointed that australian border patrol must be more vigilant than Babylon 5 customs as they'd never let an Ant through
            War Prayer
            Hated Malcom pretty much on sight, foudn him utterly sleazy and unlikeable, couldnt belive ivanova didn't see straight through him. Also noted that she didn't like Delenn or the Minbari generall, not sure if that's the bone on the head thing or what, but not keen. More G'kar love. Noted that was a very clear "A" arc and a "B" arc to the story, in this case the two young cnetari wanting to mary each other. Seemed to gain humour from Vir's effort at a poker face when Londo was explaining about the fostering. Lauhged out loud at two of Londo's comments "Love! what has marriage got to do with love!!" and his entuseastic nodding with the hair bouncing up and down at yes you can marry each other. Seemed somewhat puzzled by Londos speech about the shoes being too tight.

we'll continue this next week. I also pointed out that each season is a calendar year. and she asked to see the credits again durng war prayer as she'd forgotten what Sinclair said in the intro voice over.

Comment

Have you been showing her the opening credits with every episode? I am planning a re-watch with someone and I am looking to pinpoint the episodes in each season where I should start letting him see the opening credits. I don't want him to get any chance of spoilers until the time is right.

Comment

the chapter stps are just after the opening credits so i usually skip then as we only have abot 2 hours to watch so tw episodes a week, then the write up here while it's still fresh in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                  Have you been showing her the opening credits with every episode? I am planning a re-watch with someone and I am looking to pinpoint the episodes in each season where I should start letting him see the opening credits. I don't want him to get any chance of spoilers until the time is right.
                  As I noted in Watching B5 with C&T - Season 2, you will definitely want to skip the opening credits for the first two episodes of Season 2, as they spoil
                  the result of Delenn's transformation.
                  Last edited by alpha128; 01-24-2019, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Alpha she reads this thread, can you please cover that part up
                    OK Tuesday so it's B5 time again

And the sky full of stars
                    This one didn't go down too well, wasn't keen on the episode and deeply unimpressed with knight 1's acting"is he famous, should I know him from somewhere"I explained that season 1 is mostly setup and the payoff will come later.

Deathwalker
                    Much better eposode, possbly less cerebral, with league of non alligned worlds stuff. Plus of course g'kar. There was some commentary on na'toth mostly as her namesake was purring up a storm on the couch, leaning aginst L with happily slitted eyes as she was fussed over. Liked the vker stuff too and was much amused by the exchanges between abuut and Kosh.

Comment

WHY HASN'T ALPHA COVERED THAT SPOILER!!!!!

Very interesting that L didn't care for AND THE SKY FULL OF STARS. Can you elaborate?

As to fame:

Knight One - Judson Scott https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0779401/?ref_=tt_cl_t13 (Lots of stuff in the 80's and 90's. Multiple Star Trek appearances including Wrath of Khan.)

Knight Two - Christopher Neame https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0623762/?ref_=tt_cl_t12 (Lots of stuff including Star Trek and Doctor Who.)

Comment

Alpha she reads this thread, can you please cover that part up
                        Originally posted by Looney View Post
                        WHY HASN'T ALPHA COVERED THAT SPOILER!!!!!
                        OK. Fixed!

Comment

well it's tuesday so time for a , slightly later than usual "watching B5 with L, two imprtant episodes tonight and one of my persnal favourites from season 1
                          Believers
                          I gave very little intro to this one, beynd saying it was a franklin centred episode. she noted the lack of G;kar and got really REALLY angry at how pople had to relate everything to a religion centred eposode, she kinda predictd the illing of the chld, referring to the great robe for travelling as a "funeral lshroud" before the reveal. I pointed out that Star Trek would never air an episode like this and it's what I loved about babylon 5, how they sometimes ahve the main characters get things wrong. I also said that JMS was an avowed athiest, but touches on the religious well, She mentioned anti vaxxers and I agreed that even in a show 25 years old we can draw many paralells with the word of today
                          Survivors
                          She laughed a lot at this episode, especially the exchange between Ivavnova and sicnalir in the C&C "I'll just sit here and knit something". Again and possibly still angry form belivers giving out aouthe need to moralise things and see them from a religious persepctive. I think reflecting back on belivers also she sid G'kar seemed mean, but perhaps it's the nature of the narn, so she's thinking about the differnt races.
                          We had some discussion aterwards about the way season 1 is intro, we've had episodes focusing on g'kar, on Sinclair, on Garibaldi, on Franklin, it allows us t see the depth of the characters.

Comment

Believers
                            I gave very little intro to this one, beynd saying it was a franklin centred episode. she noted the lack of G;kar and got really REALLY angry at how pople had to relate everything to a religion centred eposode, she kinda predictd the illing of the chld, referring to the great robe for travelling as a "funeral lshroud" before the reveal. I pointed out that Star Trek would never air an episode like this and it's what I loved about babylon 5, how they sometimes ahve the main characters get things wrong. I also said that JMS was an avowed athiest, but touches on the religious well, She mentioned anti vaxxers and I agreed that even in a show 25 years old we can draw many paralells with the word of today
                            Interesting enough, this episode is not written by JMS, but by David Gerrold.
                            True, that would never have happened in Star Trek.
                            Last edited by babylonlurker; 02-07-2019, 11:55 AM.
                            Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Well I think I've given my thoughts on BELIEVERS many times before. I think it is one of the best from Season One. And yes it is definitely not a plot Trek would tackle. And yes another great thing about B5 that comes right out in Season One, main characters can be wrong. I've seen it so many times that I think my biggest issue has become that I wish a bit more of a riffed had carried over between Sinclair and Franklin.

So glad that L seems engaged with Season One. I know many pan SURVIVORS, but it sounds like L found it to be entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                              X