Crusade Scripts Available Online???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jan
    Especially when it's pointed out *before* they start doing it, they do it anyway and then get upset when they're called on it.
    I didn't know it was illegal. I thought they were PUBLIC DOMAIN

Jeez. Stop assuming everyone is a thief. It was an honest mistake.

I'm repeating this message, because Jan is too busy yelling "thief! thief!" and being generally rude to bother reading:

questions/comments:

(1) Why is the rudeness and insults necessary? ANSWER: It Is Not.

(2) I didn't know the scripts were copyrighted, because I thought JMS had released them as PUBLIC DOMAIN for the fans. Authors do that sometimes.

(3) I was mainly curious about where the show was going. I had heard that episode 15 was a major plot episode similar in impact to "Signs and Portents" and wanted to see for myself.

(4) I never saw that message from JMS. But I do note that he was NOT rude... like you were. That's why I respect JMS, because he's a class act.

You're not.

Instead you act like an elementary school brat: Quick to name-calling.

Anyway, I will respect JMS' wishes. As I do with all things. I once asked him, "Do you get any money from the DVD sales?" because I feel he deserves to get profit for all his hard work. (Sadly he gets almost nothing.)

So, I will send JMS a note requesting he make the scripts available in some future book... maybe as a bonus.
    Last edited by RCmodeler; 03-15-2004, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RCmodeler
      I didn't know it was illegal. I thought they were PUBLIC DOMAIN

Jeez. Stop assuming everyone is a thief.
      Dude, you are on a site which archives every post JMS has ever made. Did you bother checking first? JMS made that request nearly THREE YEARS ago. One would think you would take the time to find out first. Why in the world would you assume something was public domain on so recent a project?

That is such a cheesy "I got caught and I'm not taking the blame" excuse.

In Valen's name, what were you thinking?

If you're going to bother posting here at all, try not being a complete and total jackass/moron. DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST.
      "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Or alternatively you could all stop fighting over who's gonna be first to the moral high ground and just point out politely that distributing the scripts is illegal and against the wished of JMS. The issue is not about whether the original post was wrong, it's about whether there's a need to react to that with rudeness. Generally, I've found that the more polite you are with people, the more likely they are to conform to your wishes. The ruder you are, the more likely they are to do the exact opposite of that which you wish.

Comment

questions/comments:

(2) I didn't know the scripts were copyrighted, because I thought JMS had released them as PUBLIC DOMAIN for the fans. Authors do that sometimes.
          Can you show me what it was that gave you that impression? I'm curious because JMS has never, in anything I've read, indicated anything like that.

What part of "bootleg" didn't you understand?

Anyway, I will respect JMS' wishes. As I do with all things. I once asked him, "Do you get any money from the DVD sales?" because I feel he deserves to get profit for all his hard work. (Sadly he gets almost nothing.)

So, I will send JMS a note requesting he make the scripts available in some future book... maybe as a bonus.
          It's been requested before and also requested as extras on the Crusade DVDs. I hope they will be but to date, JMS has been silent so far, at least in public.

As for my rudeness, if what I described didn't apply to you, then you weren't called any names.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

(1) You think you are perfect and flawless. You are not.

(2) I'm not a perfect person. I made the mistake.

(3) Nothing justifies your rudeness. NOTHING.

Comment

(1) You think you are perfect and flawless. You are not.

(2) I'm not a perfect person. I made the mistake.

(3) Nothing justifies your rudeness. NOTHING.
              You keep telling yourself that, and when Warner Bros. sues you for copyright infringement and your ass lands in federal P.M.I.T.A. prison, don't come whining to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor
                Or alternatively you could all stop fighting over who's gonna be first to the moral high ground and just point out politely that distributing the scripts is illegal and against the wished of JMS. The issue is not about whether the original post was wrong, it's about whether there's a need to react to that with rudeness. Generally, I've found that the more polite you are with people, the more likely they are to conform to your wishes. The ruder you are, the more likely they are to do the exact opposite of that which you wish.

Ahhh... finally someone who understand manners.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor
                  This was pointed out in a calm, non-flaming post. I know. I was the one who posted it, quoting JMS's request. Then I was attacked. Explain, please, how I was rude in that original post. Explain also how what I said/quoted could so anger someone to be rude to me in turn.

Comment

I quoted Jan, and directed my comments at Jan. REVIEW THE THREAD CAREFULLY.

Comment

I think everyone needs to take a breather here. Personally I've read JMS's posts here quite exhaustively and I still completely forgot that that section of bookface.com where the scripts were posted wasn't public domain (if memory serves me correct there were a good deal of things on bookface that were public domain, so the mistake is understandable). The reason for that? It was *3* years ago, also 3 years ago since that post was made and thus 3 years ago since I've read it. So quite frankly, I forgot. That's not an abusrd idea when you look at it from the view of someone who's been away from the B5 community for a couple of years.

I don't think you'll find anyone here who's purposely trying to pirate anything, and I think it'd be best if we all chilled out and relax. I think everyone here has great respect for JMS's works and no one would purposefully try to do any harm to that.

So on that sentiment... let's all play nice ;P No more personal attacks are needed (or accusation of personal attacks ;P), from either side

Comment

Here are links to REVIEWS of the Crusade scripts:

A Bester episode:
                        http://worldsofjms.com/crusade/reviews/script2.htm

First Major Arc Episode (think Signs and Portents):
                        http://worldsofjms.com/crusade/reviews/script1.htm

Season One Finale:
                        http://worldsofjms.com/crusade/reviews/script3.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                          As for my post being rude, perhaps I should apologize to anybody here who's never heard of "Copyright". Does that apply to you?
                          In this case, yes it does. From what I had heard, my understanding was that JMS had made the scripts available to the public - i.e. had abandoned his copyright on those scripts. It turns out that I was wrong, but since I hadn't heard these were copyrighted I accept your apology.

I still think it is obnoxious to attack a person you don't know as oposed to an action you don't like, but you clearly disagree.
                          I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar
                            Jan, isn't it amazing how quickly people will attack you when you point out their illegal activity?
                            Who has attacked you? I specifically said that your post (decrying behavior rather than charactor) was spot on.
                            I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Jesus H Tapdancing Christ on a Pogo Stick.

Fire department, this way, as you can see it's an inferno.... just a match it was, but people tried to blow on it instead of stamping it out...
                              Radhil Trebors
                              Persona Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by Radhil
                                Jesus H Tapdancing Christ on a Pogo Stick.

Fire department, this way, as you can see it's an inferno.... just a match it was, but people tried to blow on it instead of stamping it out...
                                Someone say "blow"?

Oh CE, darling ....

Comment

Working...
                                X