No announcement yet.

On recasting G'kar and Stephen. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the other differences in stage is that even the best seats are still the equivilent of an establishing shot in TV and movies. Performances are more broad to make up for the lack of intimacy. You can't sell much on the stage with just a raised eyebrow, tightening of a jaw, narrowing of eyes, etc. Therefore it becomes easier have more than one actor portraying a part. Don't construe this, though, as saying that stage actors don't need to be skilled and that they're interchangeable. It just becomes easier to replace one good actor with another. Then there's the practical consideration of an actor in theatre needing time off, so the audience has to accept that the actors will change from time to time or performance to performance.
    "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

The other prominent role that JMS recast was Na'Toth, because the story at that point required that she still be around. She was the only character who knew certain things G'Kar knew and who could handle certain plot functions. But since the actress didn't work out as well as JMS hoped he got rid of her and the character (having Na'Toth disappear during the bombing of Narn) at the earliest opportunity. (And brought her back for a final bow with the original actress because - well, because he could.)

The nature of theater is different than the nature of television.
      Absolutely. There "the play's the thing" as somebody once said. Nobody expects to see the original cast in Medea, or Hamlet, after all. It is the nature of the beast that plays are going to be produced in different ways, directed with different emphasis, played by different actors. (Orson Welles did a production of Julius Caesar on the eve of WWII that was set in Mussolini's Italy.) Even on film we've had (and expect) complete remakes of older films and new adapations of works from other media. (How many versions of the Shakespeare plays I've mentioned have been done on film? For television? How many films based on the stories of the Bounty or Titanic?)

Some film adapatations become so iconic they overshadow all future stage productions. It is hard for even the best actor to do Mr. Roberts without everyone in the audience measuring him against Henry Fonda's definitive interpretation. (Fonda had also originated the role on Broadway.) On the other hand it almost never works (as was suggested above) for a new actor to try to do a frank imitation of an earlier actor's performance. When I've directed plays that have been adapted for film or TV I beg my actors not to watch them because I don't want to see an impersonation, I want a performance of the character.

Years ago NBC did a live production of Mr. Roberts with Robert (Airplane) Hayes in the title role, Kevin Bacon as Ensign Pulver and Charles Durning as the evil captain. Hayes never had a chance. He did an earnest job, but he wasn't going to make anybody forget Fonda. Pulver tried so hard not to copy anything that Jack Lemmon did that he acheived the miraculous feat of making Pulver boring and unfunny. Durning did a distracting Jimmy Cagney imitation instead of trying to act. Not a good idea.

JMS is not going to recast either role. The show is not still in normal series production, so there is not even some theoretical compelling reason to do so. JMS can choose the stories he tells in the B5 universe from now on - and the ones he doesn't tell. After his statement that he won't even write any prose short stories featuring G'Kar, I don't see how anyone could ever think otherwise.

I agree with Amy, this is so not going to happen that it isn't even a topic worth discussing. Our energy will be far better spent madly speculating about the kind of stories JMS might actually decided to tell, and which of the living cast members and characters might make it into the first batch of episodes.

Regards,

Joe
      Joseph DeMartino
      Sigh Corps
      Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino
        I agree with Amy, this is so not going to happen that it isn't even a topic worth discussing. Our energy will be far better spent madly speculating about the kind of stories JMS might actually decided to tell, and which of the living cast members and characters might make it into the first batch of episodes.

Regards,

Joe
        Exactly. I've already asked Maggie Egan, and she said that although she has retired from acting, she would be back in a heartbeat if Babylonian called her up.

So ... Jane. Yeah, she needs to come back.
        "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Our energy will be far better spent madly speculating about the kind of stories JMS might actually decided to tell, and which of the living cast members and characters might make it into the first batch of episodes.
          Just a quick reminder about that....remember to *not* post story ideas, okay? Not even spoiler tagged. Yes, I know that JMS isn't here but the rules and guidelines state that we stay story idea free just in case he ever does decide to read or post on this site.

Wow, isn't it cool to actually have to be careful about it because there's actually going to be new stories?

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar
            Exactly. I've already asked Maggie Egan, and she said that although she has retired from acting, she would be back in a heartbeat if Babylonian called her up.

So ... Jane. Yeah, she needs to come back.
            Was that before or after she reminded you about the restraining order?
            ---
            Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
            www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

Originally posted by thebaron
              Was that before or after she reminded you about the restraining order?
              That's an advantage for her ... with her number one fan being a gay male, I would never even consider what was on your mind with that post. :P

perv.

lol

Although, after the incident at Shore Leave, Jamie Bamber did mention something about a restraining over. Anyway ... That's a story for another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                Just a quick reminder about that....remember to *not* post story ideas, okay?

Wow, isn't it cool to actually have to be careful about it because there's actually going to be new stories?

Jan
                Doh! Sorry. I post to a lot of places, so sometimes I forget which rules apply where. (Especially since no rules seem to apply in some of them. )

A thousand pardons. Forget what I said. No story ideas. They told Zathras not to be giving story ideas. Or mention story ideas. Or "story". Or "the story" or "ideas". Zathras not so good as rememberings.
                Joseph DeMartino
                Sigh Corps
                Pat Tallman Division

Comment

A thousand pardons. Forget what I said. No story ideas. They told Zathras not to be giving story ideas. Or mention story ideas. Or "story". Or "the story" or "ideas". Zathras not so good as rememberings.
                  Nonono, you're fine, Joe. I just thought it was a good time to make the point.

Just to clarify for anybody not used to the drill -- speculation is fine but story ideas aren't. In other words, if we know from the show that Morden is afraid of green penguins, it's okay to say we'd like to see a segment about that. On the other hand, we can't post and say that we'd like to see a segment about Morden and the purple platypusses (platypi?) of Mars because we don't know anything about them from the show.

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

^ I'm sure it's fine to post that we'd like to see much more of Jane, though. Right?

Comment

Oh, absolutely! Or any other characters. Just no Omaha/Jan fanfic, okay?

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                        Oh, absolutely! Or any other characters. Just no Omaha/Jan fanfic, okay?

Jan
                        Naw .. That would get boring real quick. And then JMS might stumble upon it. Then his brain would freeze up. Then hordes of angry Fivers would hunt me down. It wouldn't be pretty.

I'll just stick with the whole promoting Jane thing for now.

Comment

Originally posted by AmyG
                          No one will play G'Kar other than Andreas -- and no one will play Franklin other than Richard Biggs -- in B5 productions featuring the original cast. It's a done deal, set in stone, so let's turn our energies to something more productive than fantasy-casting replacements for our beloved dead.
                          I just wanted to note that the point of my original post had nothing to do with whether or not the roles should be recast or who should play the roles if they were.

Lots of good posts here, thanks for all of the responses.

Comment

Some film adapatations become so iconic they overshadow all future stage productions. It is hard for even the best actor to do Mr. Roberts without everyone in the audience measuring him against Henry Fonda's definitive interpretation.
                            I actually meant to make this point too, Joe - but it can also apply to a definitive performance in a stage production. Weren't we talking about Zero Mostel and Fiddler on the Roof some time ago (or am I remembering a conversation I had with someone else)?

Even so, as definitive as Zero Mostel's performance was, no one would expect the show never to return to the stage now that he's dead. It's just different than television, in so many ways.

On another subject, guess I ought to read the FAQ for this place. I had no idea there was a ban on story ideas simply on the optimistic theory that JMS may one day choose to read and post here. Well, hope springs eternal, I guess! :-)

Comment

On another subject, guess I ought to read the FAQ for this place. I had no idea there was a ban on story ideas simply on the optimistic theory that JMS may one day choose to read and post here. Well, hope springs eternal, I guess! :-)
                              It was discussed and decided a while back by the posters and DougO incorporated it into the Rules and Guidelines

Jan

Comment

Well, hope springs eternal, I guess! :-)
                                It's the one thing we haven't figured out how to kill yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X