• iamsheridan
    replied
    I love them!
    /IamS

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied
    Originally posted by colonyearth View Post
    Those who prefer the old look to the new one and those who are loosing touch with BSG and those who and those who and those who...blah, blah, blah! Are the reason why SF gets cancelled and the industry decides it's not profitable or worth a risk. Are stuck in some kind of backward memory of times past that are somehow brighter by distance and made to be more "special." Are proof positive that no matter how hard someone tries to make something better or give people what they want but do it to the best of their abilities, you can't satisfy all the idiot....all the people all the time...harumph! Jeeze people, whine much!? I've been gone a long time and come back only to find you all whining.

BSG is probably one of the best shows ever made, much less SF shows...and for the goddess' sake you're getting new B5...quit your bitchin'! Yicks!
    So making comments about the differences and coming to the conclusion that the shot may not be finished, is whining? I like both the new logo and the CGI frame, and said as much here in Post #1:
    http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=9735

Leave a comment:

• Joe Nazzaro
    replied
    I don't think it was me; unless my memory is playing tricks, I haven't posted there in ages. But not a problem. At least most people on these sites are civil enough that we can usually have a reasonable discussion without the problems that seem to plague some other fandoms out there.

Leave a comment:

• Garibaldi's Hair
    replied
    Originally posted by thebaron View Post
    OMG! He's back from the Vorlon home world!
    And as cranky as ever ...

Leave a comment:

• Whyruss
    replied
    I love the new shots! Very detailed textures, nice lights and I love the new look of Epsilon 3. You have to imagine these scene in motion O_O!!

Leave a comment:

• AaronB
    replied
    Originally posted by colonyearth View Post
    Those who prefer the old look to the new one and those who are loosing touch with BSG and those who and those who and those who...blah, blah, blah! Are the reason why SF gets cancelled and the industry decides it's not profitable or worth a risk. Are stuck in some kind of backward memory of times past that are somehow brighter by distance and made to be more "special." Are proof positive that no matter how hard someone tries to make something better or give people what they want but do it to the best of their abilities, you can't satisfy all the idiot....all the people all the time...harumph! Jeeze people, whine much!? I've been gone a long time and come back only to find you all whining.

BSG is probably one of the best shows ever made, much less SF shows...and for the goddess' sake you're getting new B5...quit your bitchin'! Yicks!
    OMG! He's back from the Vorlon home world!

Leave a comment:

• B5_Obsessed
    replied
    And Joe, I'm sorry I brought you into that one. I was actually quoting your post on B5TV regarding the nebula.
    In the past year or so, I've come to think of this site and that one as virtually the same place.
    Last edited by B5_Obsessed; 02-21-2007, 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• B5_Obsessed
    replied
    Colony, I didn't say I didn't like the new shot. To my mind, the shot looks great, with the exception of some of the scale-related comments I made. And if those proportions are correct, then I don't have a problem there either.

I think the new Nebula looks very cool, I just hope we don't get too much of a washed out BSG look all in the pursuit of strict realism. JMS and Ron Thornton both touted the use of color in B5, stating that space didn't always have to be a black void with stars so they added a bright palette of celstial objects to the backgrounds.

It ain't bitching or whining to make an observation about something you've seen. From what I've seen, no one wants to "go back", no one is clutching their mouse in fear of cataclysmic change, we've just had a few comments wondering if the color/lighting/texture are completed in the shot.

I wonder myself: Is this indeed a shot from TLT or is it something the FX co threw together as a proof of concept or to whet the appetite of the fans?

If anything, from JMS's comments about a new look, I'm actually surprised that the look is very consistent with old B5 (aside from groovy high-res models).

Leave a comment:

• Joe Nazzaro
    replied
    Just for the record, my Feb 6th post that people are quoting had nothing to do with the CG shot now in question. If you go back and look at my original post, what I was trying to say is that I could see why folks might be reluctant to bring any unfinished footage to New York this weekend because it could be taken out of context as not looking very good, as opposed to unfinished. Because I often get sent material to look at for interviews/reviews, it's not uncommon to see a project that's far from finished, so of course I take that into account.

Having said all that, I just looked at the link that Kosh provided and I don't think it's too bad, although again, to my eyes, it doesn't appear entirely complete. It's not uncommon for companies to go back and tweak shots right up until just before the finished work has to be delivered, so I think I would be a bit more comfortable reserving my opinion a bit longer.

Leave a comment:

• Circular Reason
    replied
    For what it is worth, I think it looks fabulous.

Leave a comment:

• colonyearth
    replied
    well people who prefer

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
    It's interesting; I'm so used to seeing rough footage of projects without all the digital elements finished, that part of my brain tends to compartmentalize it as not finished, but I suppose it's more difficult for some people to think of it that way.
    [...]
    That said, I can certainly see why some folks would be hesitant to show that kind of rough footage to an audience that is maybe not used to seeing it that way. I know people are frustrated about not seeing any new B5 material just yet, but at least it's something to look forward to.
    Is that how you see this shot, as unfinished?
    http://www.babylon5scripts.com/Shot-From-Lost-Tales.jpg

To me, it seems lacking in color saturation and too high in contrast. The skin colors and patterns of the ships, except perhaps for the Sharlin, looks like it still needs to be added.

Leave a comment:

• Shabaz
    replied
    If you compare it to the closest shot in the original like I did here, the TLT version actually seems to be more colourful, using a higher range of colours, and uses brighter highlights and better lighting in general. The original actually seems to be the more muted in comparison.

Leave a comment:

• B5_Obsessed
    replied
    Thanks Jan,

No one included a link, so I thought they might be fooling around. Just saw the pictures. I like. Not much different, except for heightened detail on all our favorite ships. I don't know if I like the monochrome nebula. Like Joe Nazarro, I too prefer the bright colors presented in the original.

I do have some quibbles of scale, though. In the image the Centauri warship is in front of the Minbari ship. Is the Sharlin THAT much bigger? Similarly, it looks like the top of the Hyperion is in front of the Vree ship, which would make the Vree ship utterly gigantic. I could be wrong on that one, though.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    No, B5O, it's a link that came with the new Script Book Alert email. Check out for the new logo and CGI shot.

VERY cool!

Jan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X