X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DougO
    replied
    Originally posted by Shabaz View Post
    Well, technically if the discs are HD then they can't be DVDs any more.

But seeing how the show is shot in HD, there is certainly a good change that TLT will at the very least see a Blu-ray and/or HD-DVD release eventually (I don't believe WB has chosen one side in the format war), although I'm not sure if it will actually be released in July already.
    Both HD-DVD and Blu-ray are in their infanacy and only a small percentage of new or old material is being released in these formats. It's sort of like the early days of regular DVDs again. If the format(s) catch on I'm sure we'll see the number of new HD releases each week rise. It's definitely disappointing to have a HD-DVD player but still have to buy new releases in the regular DVD format.

-DougO

Leave a comment:

• iamsheridan
    replied
    Originally posted by Quarxius View Post
    I was just doing a little browsing and stumbled upon something. First ever post.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/767/767712p1.html
    Thanks a lot for the link. Very interesting.
    Does anyone know if the video blogs have found their way to the 'net yet? Or will they "only" be included in the DVDs?

And who was on the blogs? Was it JMS himself? Anybody else?

Regards,
    IamS

Leave a comment:

• Shabaz
    replied
    Originally posted by LightStorm View Post
    I cant wait for the DVD - which (I am sure) will be available in HIGH DEFINTION. It is going to look stupendous.
    Well, technically if the discs are HD then they can't be DVDs any more.

But seeing how the show is shot in HD, there is certainly a good change that TLT will at the very least see a Blu-ray and/or HD-DVD release eventually (I don't believe WB has chosen one side in the format war), although I'm not sure if it will actually be released in July already.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    I don't really think that's what he said. For sure David's mentioned in this disk but I don't think JMS actually said we'd see David in another one. The question was whether we'd see David and JMS answered in the affirmative but then seemed to backtrack a bit to say that he'd be mentioned in this disk and that we might learn more about him at some point.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Morden
    replied
    Originally posted by Quarxius View Post
    I was just doing a little browsing and stumbled upon something. First ever post.

Welcome!

Well, most of what's covered in this article are details we already know, but the last sentence surprises me:
    "If and when those films happen, look for one set in the world of the PsiCops, and another that will give us a look at Sheridan's son David."

PsiCops, OK, that may have to do with a Garibaldi-story and may lead to a future TeepWar-Movie (our best hope... ). But I never thought JMS would do a David-Sheridan-story (I remember someone saying that he may have never intended to show this boy, and all we need to know about his Keeper-connection is covered in the Centauri-Trilogy).

Anyone else surprised...?

Leave a comment:

• DGTWoodward
    replied
    Short update on the going-ons at Atmosphere Visual Effects via the blog of one of the folks working on TLT, Alec McClymont:
    Reading this took me back to the kinds of things Ron Thornton and crew were saying, way back at the start of the show. It seems to be a labour of love for some.

I really cannot believe it! BABYLON 5 is on it's way back...

I cant wait for the DVD - which (I am sure) will be available in HIGH DEFINTION. It is going to look stupendous.

Leave a comment:

• Quarxius
    replied
    Article about TLT from NYCC

Leave a comment:

• RMcD
    replied
    I can think of a couple of specific places where it distracts me from the action onscreen, rather than underscoring or reinforcing it - when Captain Anderson sets ramming speed, for example, and after the 'comedy' scene involving the Drazi's armpit.

However I still think Chen was absolutely the right choice (a couple of tiny moments in that many hours of television is no mean feat). I think that he brought a refreshingly different, experimental, and suitably much more alien feel to Crusade. To me he was coming from much the same place as Franke during Season 1, using layers of sound to build up a strange, interesting and very unique atmosphere. If you unpick the production order, you can hear how his style was changing with experience. There are some bits that I really, really like - the little melody in Well of Forever, for example. Who can say where he would have been after 5 years, or even 1 for that matter. And would anyone seriously prefer the looped and utterly bland and forgettable elevator music that you heard in certain other shows?

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied
    Originally posted by Shadow-Sentient View Post
    If they use the same guy as from Crusade I can pretty much guarantee I'll have a hard time watching. What made the B5 music great was that it was thematic and meant something to each scene evoking maximum emotion with telling effect. Crusade seemed as if some guy sat on a Korg Wavestation and just created waves that were randomly placed as background in the series and the music was ENTIRELY disconnected from the action on screen.
    I was not impressed at all. My personal opinion ... but when you offer a universe as dynamic as Babylon 5, the music should be representative and dynamic as well.
    I guess you're a musician? I'm not, and back when I first saw Crusade (1999 on TNT), the music in some of the places in A Call to Arms and Crusade didn't feel right to me, either. However, now, I'll be damned if I can find any of those places other than the end credits "music" (noise) from Ruling from the Tomb. All the rest seems A-OK to me now, and adds just the right otherworldly, strange and alien feel to the show.

I could run A Call to Arms and Crusade past my cousin Jim, who is a musician, and has a PhD in music and music education, except that he'd never sit still for it. See, he reflexively HATES all sci-fi, and wouldn't be able to refrain from trashing every single second of the show and those who enjoy the show, long enough to concentrate on the "music problem." When anything sci-fi comes on, he's completely insufferable, won't shut up, and is a complete ass until somebody gives in and changes the channel/DVD/tape.

All I can say is that the music in A Call to Arms and Crusade works for me, with the exception of that one notable example. <shrug>

If you could point out any of Evan Chen's A Call to Arms and/or Crusade music that seem most wrong to you, I'd be happy to revisit it and check it out.

Leave a comment:

• Shabaz
    replied
    JMS confirmed a while ago that our favourite German synthpop musician is indeed working on TLT. From 22 October last year:
    Tomorrow morning at 9 a.m., the Babylon 5 TLT production offices in
    Vancouver will officially open up next door to the stage we're using.
    The crew has been hired, Chris Franke is on board for the music, cast
    deals have been set.

Interesting times all around.

jms

Leave a comment:

• Shadow-Sentient
    replied
    Any idea on who's scoring the series? Christopher Franke perhaps? Hopefully? Anyone?

If they use the same guy as from Crusade I can pretty much guarantee I'll have a hard time watching. What made the B5 music great was that it was thematic and meant something to each scene evoking maximum emotion with telling effect. Crusade seemed as if some guy sat on a Korg Wavestation and just created waves that were randomly placed as background in the series and the music was ENTIRELY disconnected from the action on screen.
    I was not impressed at all. My personal opinion ... but when you offer a universe as dynamic as Babylon 5, the music should be representative and dynamic as well.

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied
    Short update on the going-ons at Atmosphere Visual Effects via the blog of one of the folks working on TLT, Alec McClymont:
    If the scripts are better than the Rangers pilot and the we have the familiar ties to the B5 universe seen in
    http://www.babylon5scripts.com/Shot-From-Lost-Tales.jpg
    ...I'll be extremely happy.

Leave a comment:

• Shabaz
    replied
    Yes, I'm Still Here
    2007.02.23 - Friday

I didn't want to let an entire month slip by without a post, so I figured I should get one done while there is a pause at work, at least for 3D. The new Babylon 5 project has been going well, but it's been extremely tight for time and everyone's been working like crazy. I've put more hours into this show than any other I can think of at the moment, and I hope people will be pleased with the work once they see it. Being Babylon 5, however, I'm pretty sure it will be impossible to please everyone. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I'll be taking a couple of weeks off once the show is done, which shouldn't be too much longer. I'm hoping to get a bunch of computer chores done in that time, maybe even put a new system together for the first time four or five years. I want to get setup with Vista, and I've had a recent urge to go back and play my way through "Freespace 2" again. I'd also love to catch up on some movies. "Children of Men", both "Flags" and "Iwo Jima" if I can find them playing somewhere. I don't even know what else is out right now. Maybe I'll even see "Ghost Rider", just for fun.

Ah yes, the other news was our recent VES win for "Outstanding Visual Effects in a Broadcast Series" for "Battlestar Galactica, Exodus Part 2". I took a couple of days away from B5 to go down to LA for the awards ceremony, which was a lot of fun. I hope to get some pictures up on here over the weekend, so keep an eye out for that.

I should be able to get back to regular posting soon, as well. I've got a few things I want to cover, so I should have more than enough time during my break.

Leave a comment:

• Darth_librarian
    replied
    Very good to hear from you CE!

As for the contrast issue with the shot, I suspect that is down to the nature of the screen grab more than anything...

Leave a comment:

• DGTWoodward
    replied
    Originally posted by colonyearth View Post
    Those who prefer the old look to the new one and those who are loosing touch with BSG and those who and those who and those who...blah, blah, blah! Are the reason why SF gets cancelled and the industry decides it's not profitable or worth a risk. Are stuck in some kind of backward memory of times past that are somehow brighter by distance and made to be more "special." Are proof positive that no matter how hard someone tries to make something better or give people what they want but do it to the best of their abilities, you can't satisfy all the idiot....all the people all the time...harumph! Jeeze people, whine much!? I've been gone a long time and come back only to find you all whining.
    Good point.

Welcome back Anthony!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X