Babylon 5- The Lost Tales *SPOILERS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shabaz View Post
    If you've looked at the storyboard, that sequence is pretty much what the spoiler is.
    Keep your eyes SHUT! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH......................*gurgle*
    Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

• great article, look forward to the next ones. cant believe the spoiler, will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
        Originally posted by KoshN View Post
        When the original B5 wrapped, all the wireframes, set pieces, wardrobe, designs, and renderings of the station, ships, planets, and everything was handed over to WB, which requested nothing be copied for personal archives.
        What makes you think they'd act otherwise?
        This:
        http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-16663
        "That's the logical thing, but logic and show business rarely dine at the same
        table.
        Studio logic is kind of like looking at the gorgon...too close and you're
        turned to stone."

When it comes to companies, I'm naturally pessimistic and paranoid. I tend to wear steel plate on my back to prevent getting stabbed there. I'm reminded of "The Scorpion and the Frog."
        http://allaboutfrogs.org/stories/scorpion.html
        It's the nature of companies like Warner Brothers to act like the scorpion.

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        The bit that you quoted is no more than standard business practice as is complying with same. What they produced was work for hire and had as much business being taken home as the memos or spreadsheets I produce at work - none.
        Yeah, I guess you could look at it that way. I came up against that once, and had to turn everything in, which I did. Still, I kept a copy of a few things (programming routines where I came up with something clever that I thought I might need again), and I've adapted them for use in my personal databases.

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        My reaction to that paragraph was kind of a wink-and-nod, though. Seems to me that if some personal archives from the former staff were quietly collected and used, it'd be a bit of protection for those folks to publicly claim that recreated fan files were used. Who knows, might be a mixture of both.
        Interesting. If it results in some of the original files being used, I'm all for it. It'd be good to see common sense find a way around a studio Catch-22.
        KoshN
        Vorlon Technomage
        Last edited by KoshN; 03-09-2007, 10:19 PM.
        Mac Breck (KoshN)
        ------------------
        Warner Brothers is Lucy.
        JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
        Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

• Over on B5TV.com, Shabaz posted a link to an .mp3 of JMS's spotlight at NYCC. It appears that the audio portion of the Director's Video Blogs is included so be aware that there are going to be some minor SPOILERS. It's a lot of fun listening to JMS at these things.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
            Over on B5TV.com, Shabaz posted a link to an .mp3
            Jan
            Link says "Sorry, no posts matched your criteria"

Comment

• Looks like it must have been pulled. It was there yesterday and I checked the link over at B5TV and got the same message. Drat.

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• In that case I'm so glad I decided to stay up late last night to listen to it, because I very nearly didn't. The new music and narration sounded great (actually I'm sorry now I can't listen to it again) - can't wait to see how it plays with the images that go with it. I wonder if it was pulled because they hadn't got the proper clearances, or for some other reason?

Comment

• Just a guess but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't supposed to have included the audio of the blogs. I love the new compostion, too.

Jan

Comment

• Like I said at B5TV, it's still part of the podcast, it's just the blog entry in their wordpress/podpress frontend that is gone for some reason. But you can still go to nycc.com and subscribe to the RSS feed with your favourite podcatcher, or get the MP3 file from the place the feed ispointing at. In the meanwhile I send them an e-mail to ask them what's up, and telling them that if it was their intention to pull they screwed up, and if it wasn't their intention, they still screwed up.

Also, don't you guys download your podcasts? I mean, the little PodPress flash players are handy, but you're allowed to download podcasts, since downloading the MP3 really is the standard behaviour. In fact, if you plan at all on listening to something multiple times, downloading is probably the preferred behaviour.

edit: Links removed as a courtesy, see next post.
                    Shabaz
                    Confirmed User
                    Last edited by Shabaz; 03-15-2007, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• Ok, that was fast, I just got a reply.
                      Hey Shabaz,

Thank you for your note. Indeed you are right. We unfortunately did have
                      to pull the post down. JMS requested that we do so, and we did,
                      immediately. It takes up to 24 hours sometimes for Feedburner to catch up
                      to changes in the blog and posts, which is why it was still up there.
                      Confusing. I just checked, and it's now off our feed as well.

I too am bummed. I don't like posting and then pulling down. But such is
                      life.

We have lots more stuff coming, so stay tuned. I hope we'll be able to give
                      you more good stuff that you and your friends enjoy.

Rob
                      In light of said request from JMS, I removed the direct link to the MP3 in my previous post. I suppose you can still find it, but as a courtesy to him I won't go passing around the link.

Comment

• Finally got around to listening to this last night ... only really interested in hearing the new music - happy to wait for the DVDs to see the blogs in all their , erm, glory.

Frankly, a little disappointed in the same way as I was with the LotR theme music. There didn't seem to be a strong theme underpinning the whole, and it sounded a little thin compared to the big, epic sound that CF got with his original series themes.

I would normally be prepared to put that down to the problems of listening to an mp3 of a recording from a live event, but they are the same two issues I had with the Rangers theme. Just a bit "meh!" for me ... and I am a big fan of Franke's stuff.
                        The Optimist: The glass is half full
                        The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                        The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

• I liked the new music a lot. For me it's a nice balance of old and new and, most importantly, it worked well with the visuals.

Jan

Comment

• Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
                            Frankly, a little disappointed in the same way as I was with the LotR theme music. There didn't seem to be a strong theme underpinning the whole, and it sounded a little thin compared to the big, epic sound that CF got with his original series themes.
                            I personally liked the LotR music. And I actually thought the TLT music thematically sounded closest to the season 5 theme, but a good deal grander and pretty fresh and new sounding. Also, I think most of the thin sounding stuff is probably because recordings like this wreak havoc on sounds with high dynamic ranges, i.e. music. It sounded pretty orchestral and big to me, and while it is really muted because of the recording, there is some really cool sounding choral stuff at the end of the theme (after the voice over).
                            Shabaz
                            Confirmed User
                            Last edited by Shabaz; 03-16-2007, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• As is the way of things, Shabaz's post to the newsgroup about the podcast being posted took a few days to show and by then it had been pulled. JMS wrote this in reply to Shabaz' note that it had been pulled at JMS's request:

Yeah, I had the piece pulled because a) I hadn't been told they were
                              going to be taping the appearance and putting it up there, and b)
                              there's stuff from the blogs that should not be out there because
                              they're still in progress. (The delay in posting the blogs has been
                              in waiting for the final CGI to be delivered in those cases where we
                              have before and after shots...which is nearly all of the blogs.)
                              Sheesh...not the first mistake that this con made, I'm afraid.

There's more to the post but this is all that's relevant to NYCC.

Jan

Comment

• Generic question. This may or may not have been posted before. Given the new B5 art/CGI we see below

Isn't this an impossibility? Given B5's orbit as shown in the series, at the L-5 point of Epsilon 3, the planet needs to be there! Just nitpicking.
                                "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Comment

Working...
                                X