X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacantlook
    replied
    Originally posted by AmyG
    ...The point with Jan's various transcriptions is that they are of material that isn't generally available, like convention Q&As and Jerry Doyle's show (which isn't broadcast everywhere in the US, and you have to pay to have access to his show's online archive). The Babylon 5 podcasts are free, and available, and all anyone has to do who's interested in that particular dead horse's beating can go and listen to it themselves.
    And while the podcasts are available for download by anyone, people like me with dialup internet aren't very likely to be able to download them. Just for interest, I went and started to download the most recent podcast for the sake of seeing how long it estimates the download to take and it's between 6 and 12 hours. The files are just too large to make downloading them much of an option for someone who doesn't have broadband. But it can still be interesting to read specific transcriptions for discussion purposes, so I don't see a problem with it occationally; it's not like it's a transcript of the entire podcast.

Leave a comment:

• Shabaz
    replied
    I think it's hilariously optimistic to think that JMS listens to the podcast, especially now that he's exponentially more busy than usual. I think it's much more likely that people mention stuff to him once in awhile so that he stays in the loop.
    Again, I don't get them so I can't really check, but apparently he does say something to that effect in one of the scriptbooks with regards to the Jason Carter interview they did. If he listened to any of the shows beyond that I don't really know, so saying there is a "good chance" he would listen to the Claudia interview anyway was maybe overstating it a bit.

As for posting what you did on the newsgroup, I haven't seen your message in the queue yet, so it may be stuck somewhere. But if you're looking for opinions, what you might want to do next time is simply say that there's some interesting info in this week's podcast, and that people might want to check it out for themselves. And briefly describe it. The point with Jan's various transcriptions is that they are of material that isn't generally available, like convention Q&As and Jerry Doyle's show (which isn't broadcast everywhere in the US, and you have to pay to have access to his show's online archive). The Babylon 5 podcasts are free, and available, and all anyone has to do who's interested in that particular dead horse's beating can go and listen to it themselves.
    If it's lost in the usenet void, maybe it's for the best if it doesn't appear on the group then. I won't repost it.

The downloadable version of the interview won't appear for another couple of weeks on their website though. My sin is that of impatience more than anything else here, I think. But nobody seemed to mind it when I did it last week with Peter Jurasik's answer, so I thought I'd do it again.

And I'm not sure how it is all "beating a dead horse" when I transcribe what she said when asked about TLT. I mean, that's a pretty alive horse at this moment, I think. The point of that transcript was the "Yeah, I'd like to be part of it" more than anything else. But I couldn't really find a way to comfortably cut to that part without distorting her answer, so I kind of went to the other side and quoted everything she said in response to that question. And half of that still is her praising JMS, and the show, and the writing into high heaven, so it isn't all negativity and dead horse beating.

Also, I wasn't around when all of this originally went down (I was about 12 then, and worried about much different things than which actress was in command of a make belief space station ), so I don't exactly know how much this is all retreading old ground for people who were. But for me a lot of this was new, and in particular in the context of her potentially being part of TLT. I mean, I can guess at the type of flamewars and public mudslinging that must've gone down then, and I sort of glimpsed that via the Lurker's Guide, and it wasn't my intention to open old wounds or anything. But this seems the clearest piece of information on how things are with regards to Ivanova in TLT from the actress's side, and I know her answer made people on the podcast chat happy, and I thought I'd share what she'd said.

Maybe me paraphrasing her 8 minute rant to contextualize the answer is more beating a dead horse, I suppose. I for one didn't know she felt that strongly about it before hearing her in this interview, but maybe it is common knowledge for B5 fans better informed than me.

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    I think it's hilariously optimistic to think that JMS listens to the podcast, especially now that he's exponentially more busy than usual. I think it's much more likely that people mention stuff to him once in awhile so that he stays in the loop.

As for posting what you did on the newsgroup, I haven't seen your message in the queue yet, so it may be stuck somewhere. But if you're looking for opinions, what you might want to do next time is simply say that there's some interesting info in this week's podcast, and that people might want to check it out for themselves. And briefly describe it. The point with Jan's various transcriptions is that they are of material that isn't generally available, like convention Q&As and Jerry Doyle's show (which isn't broadcast everywhere in the US, and you have to pay to have access to his show's online archive). The Babylon 5 podcasts are free, and available, and all anyone has to do who's interested in that particular dead horse's beating can go and listen to it themselves.

Final comment:

It's not a casting "idea" anymore...JMS straight up told us that it would be Lochley and Galen.
    SmileoftheShadow, where did you get this from? I don't think that's been said anywhere.

Amy

Leave a comment:

• Shabaz
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    I agree completely that many, many fans would love to see Ivanova in TLT. It was among the first questions asked of JMS after he announced it.

As for JMS listening to the podcasts...who knows? The only time that I can recall his commenting on them at all was when he said that he'd read a transcript of a particular interview with Matthew Sprange of Mongoose Publishing. For all I know, he lurks on many boards and newsgroups and follows every link and every discussion about B5. Or not. As busy as he is lately, I don't see how he could.

Please don't think that I was saying you should or shouldn't talk about whatever you like wherever you like, Shabaz. Your post asked what people thought and what I wrote was simply my personal opinion.

Jan
    Ok, sure. But you seemed to imply that putting it on the newsgroup may not have been the smartest thing to do, because it would be waking up sleeping dogs. Which you might right about, but like I said, I never really considered it in that way, so perhaps I at the very least should've thought about it in that way myself first.

And one of the hints I believe involved him referencing a recent interview with Jason Carter on a B5 related podcast, in one of the scriptbooks, that they felt could pretty much only be them. I can't really verify it though, since I don't get those scriptbooks.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    I agree completely that many, many fans would love to see Ivanova in TLT. It was among the first questions asked of JMS after he announced it.

As for JMS listening to the podcasts...who knows? The only time that I can recall his commenting on them at all was when he said that he'd read a transcript of a particular interview with Matthew Sprange of Mongoose Publishing. For all I know, he lurks on many boards and newsgroups and follows every link and every discussion about B5. Or not. As busy as he is lately, I don't see how he could.

Please don't think that I was saying you should or shouldn't talk about whatever you like wherever you like, Shabaz. Your post asked what people thought and what I wrote was simply my personal opinion.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Shabaz
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    What I think is similar to what JMS said about the change in Captains between season 1 and season 2. We weren't there so we can't know what happened and therefor we don't have any right to an opinion at all.

One other thought...by transcribing it to the newsgroup, there's every chance that JMS will read it. What good would it do for him to read that? I can't see where it would make him more likely to hire her, can you? And likely just the oposite.

I wish that sleeping dogs had been left alone, personally.

Jan
    I honestly hadn't thought about it in that way. Although from what I understand, the podcast folks have gotten some strong hints that he listens to the show, or at least some of it, so there's a good chance he would've heard it eventually anyway.

But it wasn't my intention to stir things up for sake of stirring things up. Claudia does spend some time, both in the bit I transcribed and in the rest of the interview, praising JMS, calling the writing brilliant, and him a genius. But she obviously still feels really angry about how she was treated, and wants that opinion to be known. I'm not sure if it is my duty as a fan to 'leave sleeping dogs alone' by not communicating some really clear spoken opinions by her to fellow fans, or if I am overstepping personal boundaries by putting it up in a place where JMS could see it. Perhaps I should've put more thought into it.

I just... I spend some of my online time on a couple of other forums, and in some of them I have talked about TLT, and the possibility of Ivanova returning seems to be really popular. And I'm a fan of that character too, would love to see her return, so I kind of jumped on it when she said here she would like to be a part of it.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    What I think is similar to what JMS said about the change in Captains between season 1 and season 2. We weren't there so we can't know what happened and therefor we don't have any right to an opinion at all.

One other thought...by transcribing it to the newsgroup, there's every chance that JMS will read it. What good would it do for him to read that? I can't see where it would make him more likely to hire her, can you? And likely just the opposite.

I wish that sleeping dogs had been left alone, personally.

Jan
    Last edited by Jan; 10-26-2006, 06:40 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• Shabaz
    replied
    I was listening to the live version of the Babylon Podcast again a few days ago, and they had Claudia Christian on. And they asked her about TLT, and her answers were... not exactly straightforward, but still of interest to the Ivanova fans out there, I think. So I thought I'd transcribe it for the newsgroup, where it hasn't appeared yet. So I thought I'd also copy paste it here, see what people think.
    Claudia Christian on TLT.

Well, sort of on TLT. I was listening to the Babylon Podcast being
    recorded yesterday (which can be found here:
    http://www.babylonpodcast.com/ where the interview should appear in a
    week or two) via their live stream, and they had Claudia Christian on.
    Among other things, they asked her about TLT. Since I know a lot of
    people would like to see more of her story, especially with it being
    cut short a bit because of what happened during the 5th season, I
    thought I'd just transcribe her answers here in the newsgroup.

Now, what was leading into this was Jeffrey Willerth asking her about a
    faithful night where they were all getting sloshed, and them receiving
    a call that season 5 was going to be made anyway, and what happened
    then from her point of view. So this came after her talking about 8
    minutes straight about how fucking petty they were to her, and how they
    fucked her over, and were bastards, and behaving like infants, and they
    were paying Bruce a ton of money but begrudged her making some on a
    cable movie, and how she has a written letter from WB stating they
    fired her, and anyone saying otherwise is full of shit, and... well,
    let's just say it was one of the more profanity laden shows of the
    Babylon Podcast I've heard so far. <g>

Anyway, they came out of that, and when they asked her about TLT, she
    went on for a bit more about the season 5 thing. But I felt it would be
    a bit disingenuous to cut that out, and directly cut towards her
    stating that she does want to be a part of something new, which she
    does say at the end. So I left that in, and typed down everything she
    said after being asked about TLT, until the hosts changed topic, which
    does make the quote a bit long.

(start podcast quote)
    Tim Callender: Now I'm sure you're aware of the Lost Tales that's
    beginning production in Vancouver.

Claudia Christian: Lost Tales?

Tim Callender: The Babylon 5 Lost Tales? That JMS... it's going to be
    direct to dvd episodes.

Claudia Christian: Oh the new little vignettes that he asked only Peter
    to get involved with, yeah. *laughter from the hosts* I heard about
    that. Apparently he has nobody.. what, what?

Summer Brooks: Well, there are comments out there by him, saying
    "anything is possible" regarding a new Ivanova story. So, we were
    curious if you'd heard anything, but I'm guessing...

Claudia Christian: Oh no, he... Listen, I've never said a bad word
    about them, and he created a beautiful character for me. He just, in
    the end, he... he fucked me blind. Because I didn't see this coming,
    and I was with a manager that was like, "you've done your job,
    contractually, and they should be happy to have you for 18 episodes
    instead of 22." And I felt that would be fair. But then they didn't
    want me at all. And I was really hurt. And I thought, well the fans are
    going to be pissed off. They want me, they don't want somebody else.
    And I was actually quite insulted that they felt they could replace me.
    And I was like, no, you can't replace [phone cracks]. Not because of
    me, I don't think I'm that special, but... I think I'm good, but it's
    because the character he created that I fell into, and grew into, was
    very special. And Ivanova is extremely special. There would not be a
    reason why... I mean, I couldn't believe that he thought that he could
    get some chick in there to, you know, to... As much as I love Tracy,
    but it's like, how can you replace Ivanova? Ivanova is gone! I mean,
    she was a great character. And that's what upset me. I was like... It
    wasn't about me, it wasn't about... I mean, God knows I wasn't making
    any money of Babylon 5. It certainly wasn't about the money. It
    certainly wasn't about the job. It was just about, hey the fans are
    going to be really pissed off, you know. And every time I go out
    anywhere it's all about, why weren't you in the fifth season? And I was
    like, well, look at the fifth season; it wasn't that good. But
    sometimes you... He created some pretty amazing characters. And I'm
    very proud to have been part of that. I think it's one of the best
    sci-fi series ever to have been produced.

Tim Callender: So do we.

Claudia Christian: Yeah, I know. There's a reason why people keep
    coming back. I mean, when I watched it because I was writing the book,
    and I read all of Joe's short stories, I realized what a genius he is,
    and how it all fits into... everything. The future, current times,
    everything. And how everyone's fallible and human, and absolutely,
    just... It's such a great take, he's so talented. I'm really proud to
    have been part of it. And I will never stop being proud of being part
    of it. Had I been in the fifth series, I don't know if it would've been
    that good, you know. I don't know, I think I left at the right time for
    me. But, if they ever did another one... Yeah, I'd like to be part of
    it. *laughs*
    (end quote)

I personally would love to see that character again, so her saying she
    would like to be part of it is nice, I guess. But I admit, I was kind
    of hoping, maybe from a naive fan's perspective that doesn't really
    have all the facts, that the entire season 5 thing was water under the
    bridge for her now after all these years, and that this might make it
    easier for something like a TLT Ivanova story to happen. Obviously from
    her side at least this isn't true (no idea how it is from JMS's or
    other former B5 production staff's side), but the Ivanova fan in me is
    still hoping something can be worked out, and a good story be told with
    that character.

-Shabaz

Leave a comment:

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    Originally posted by SLerman
    Since I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it, I'll toss out my casting idea. One story will feature Sheridan, the other will feature Galen. Since Lochley is the one that's still on B5 (assuming both stories take place shortly after 2262), it would make sense for her to be the common character, interacting with the others as they pass through B5.

Then again, Galen and Garibaldi would definitely be an interesting pair.
    It's not a casting "idea" anymore...JMS straight up told us that it would be Lochley and Galen.

Jon

Leave a comment:

• SLerman
    replied
    Since I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it, I'll toss out my casting idea. One story will feature Sheridan, the other will feature Galen. Since Lochley is the one that's still on B5 (assuming both stories take place shortly after 2262), it would make sense for her to be the common character, interacting with the others as they pass through B5.

Then again, Galen and Garibaldi would definitely be an interesting pair.

Leave a comment:

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino
    As I recall JMS indicated that the stories in each set would be thematically related, but otherwise independent. The title that he intended to embrace all three stories was "Voices in the Dark" for what that's worth. I could swear I read somewhere that the first batch of three was going to be on the common theme of "command", which would certainly fit with Sheridan, Lochley and Garibaldi, but I can't find a citation. Galen could most easily fit into a Sheridan or Lochley story, since he's met both and would be more likely to be operating in the vicinity of Babylon 5 or Minbar during or after the Crusade period than in the Sol system. Although given Garibaldi's interest in Edgar's black projects, that's a pairing that could also prove... interesting.
    Yeah, it'd be interesting to see where they go with Galen. With Lochley, they developed her more as a character in Crusade than they ever did in B5, ironically enough.

We should organize a mass board rewatching of B5 in order to lead up to TLT with subsequent discussion on the board.

Jon

Leave a comment:

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    Because I can't not nitpick

Uh oh. I think double negatives are not proper...

Jon

Leave a comment:

• Dustin_S
    replied
    I love power, and the technomages were hinted at in the trilogy as being nearly as powerful as the shadows (their only weakness was they didn't understand the technology they were using, whereas the shadows, of course, did.)

Galen winds up being the most powerful of the mages so....I've already got a favorite!

Leave a comment:

• Joseph DeMartino
    replied
    See... I'm curious as to how the stories tie together or weave. It'd be unlike JMS to make them completely episodic and seperate.
    Well, there's separate and there's separate.

The stories, as noted previously, were huge... all over the map, from Minbar, to Earth, Mars, the future, the distant past, as well as B5 itself obviously.
    As I recall JMS indicated that the stories in each set would be thematically related, but otherwise independent. The title that he intended to embrace all three stories was "Voices in the Dark" for what that's worth. I could swear I read somewhere that the first batch of three was going to be on the common theme of "command", which would certainly fit with Sheridan, Lochley and Garibaldi, but I can't find a citation. Galen could most easily fit into a Sheridan or Lochley story, since he's met both and would be more likely to be operating in the vicinity of Babylon 5 or Minbar during or after the Crusade period than in the Sol system. Although given Garibaldi's interest in Edgar's black projects, that's a pairing that could also prove... interesting.

Regards,

Joe

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    Somebody elsewhere commented on the lack of a comma after the word Galen but that's simply correct sentence construction.
    Because I can't not nitpick, I have to mention here that in American English, the "extra" comma (between the last and second-to-last items in a list of three or more items, when "and" or "or" is used) is optional. It's not incorrect one way, and correct the other. Those of us who are comma crazy still use the so-called Harvard comma (or if you prefer, the Oxford comma).

Amy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X