Babylon 5- The Lost Tales *SPOILERS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by quicksilver
    Hope JMS changes his mind and decides to bring back the characters of Dr Franklin and G'Kar.
    I think JMS is doing the right thing and absolutely support his decision. To have new actors mixed in with the original cast would not work on a number of levels, and - as he has said repeatedly - he cannot write those characters now. Emotionally he is not capable of doing so. They were too bound up his own mind with the actors (who were his friends) for him to "turn their voices on in his head" again. He couldn't even face the task of writing around them when Warner Bros. offered him a feature film - which is the main reason we're getting The Lost Tales in the first place - the new anthology was JMS's suggested alternative to the feature film he wasn't ready to tackle yet.

And Andreas's G'Kar was so much more than make-up that I simply cannot envision any actor embodying that role again. As JMS will be the first to tell you it wasn't just his words that made the character. As with all the roles the words formed the basis of the performance, but as the show progressed the performances began to shape the words that were written for each character. Real-life qualities of the actors were written into their characters, and as the show progressed the distance between the two narrowed.

There will never be "another" G'Kar. There will never be "another" Franklin. Not while JMS has any say in the matter. And I think most fans will agree that that is as it should be.

"Here was a Caesar. When comes such another?"

Regards,

Joe
    Joseph DeMartino
    Sigh Corps
    Pat Tallman Division

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan
      YAY!! Christopher Franke is doing the music!!!

Jan
      I know! You have no idea how much that makes my day.

Jon
      Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
      True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Joseph DeMartino]I think JMS is doing the right thing and absolutely support his decision. To have new actors mixed in with the original cast would not work on a number of levels, and - as he has said repeatedly - he cannot write those characters now. Emotionally he is not capable of doing so. They were too bound up his own mind with the actors (who were his friends) for him to "turn their voices on in his head" again. He couldn't even face the task of writing around them when Warner Bros. offered him a feature film - which is the main reason we're getting The Lost Tales in the first place - the new anthology was JMS's suggested alternative to the feature film he wasn't ready to tackle yet.

And Andreas's G'Kar was so much more than make-up that I simply cannot envision any actor embodying that role again. As JMS will be the first to tell you it wasn't just his words that made the character. As with all the roles the words formed the basis of the performance, but as the show progressed the performances began to shape the words that were written for each character. Real-life qualities of the actors were written into their characters, and as the show progressed the distance between the two narrowed.

There will never be "another" G'Kar. There will never be "another" Franklin. Not while JMS has any say in the matter. And I think most fans will agree that that is as it should be.
        QUOTE]

I agree with that. Though I would love to see those characters, those two actors were really what brought the show to life, and I think it would be pretty disrespectful to rescast them. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to have someone you worked so close with for years die like that. I'd imagine it'd be hard to go back and write B5 again at all because it would obviously bring up their memories, though I'm glad JMS is doing that.

Jon
        Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
        True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

• Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow
          I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to have someone you worked so close with for years die like that. I'd imagine it'd be hard to go back and write B5 again at all because it would obviously bring up their memories, though I'm glad JMS is doing that.
          That was why JMS turned down doing a feature film in favor of doing TLT. At least for now, while the loss is still so new, he said that he's not able to see a big B5 story. Maybe in a couple of years he will.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• It indeed wouldn't be the same without Franke. I'm glad to hear they're trying to get him aboard.

And yes, recasting just wouldn't work. Perhaps someday their characters could reappear on the page, but no actor could replace either Mr. Biggs or Mr. Katsulas.
            Schlock Mercenary: comic space opera

Comment

• If you'd look back a few pages, you'd see I was hoping that Franke would be back, so I'm really happy he almost definitely will be back too.

And I don't think the two characters should be recast either. As I said on another board, the only way I would want to see a story about them is if it is about the way these two men have touched other characters and the B5 universe in general. But it would be a hard thing to write, I think. Since talking about what the 2 character's left behind in the B5 universe would undoubtedly to some degree touch upon the two actors and what impressions they have left behind in our universe.

Comment

• Franke is in whoowhoooooooo, at least the music will kick ass!
                Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

• Franke! Yippey! Harrdy goes to Happy Land now 8-)

PeAcE
                  Harrdy
                  Confirmed User
                  Last edited by Harrdy; 10-13-2006, 05:03 AM.
                  greetings from austria, best known for its history and fine wine... feels like a wine cellar on a graveyard 8-)

Comment

• Great news about the music! yay!
                    Fallout 3: A Post Nuclear Blog

Comment

• This is now getting REALLY exciting
                      http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                      Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                      47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

• Another update from JMS:

Subject: Re: Further B5:TLT update from jms
                        Date: Today 3:52 AM
                        Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

Fast follow-up....

Just got back tonight from Vancouver, and we've now nailed down/hired
                        nearly all of our key department heads and the Director of Photography
                        who I'll be working with closely during production. We spent today in
                        the first informal production meeting going over how we're going to
                        shoot this, reviewing the storyboards, determining what's going to be
                        green screen and what's going to be practical set...this should be a
                        pretty cool looking project, with some sights we haven't really seen
                        before as well as some more familiar sights.

What I can say about the three episodes is that we go to Mars, Minbar
                        and of course B5, we introduce a new kind of Minbari cruiser, and
                        there's a rather startling sequence on Earth. I've decided to shoot
                        each segment a little differently from each other, so they each have
                        their own visual style that complements that particular story. On
                        Monday the B5 team up north will be checking out the stages, and about
                        a week or so from now the actual B5 offices will open up and folks will
                        start moving in.

It's starting to feel a lot like fun.

We'll also be working with WB to put together a special reel from the
                        shoot that we can bring to debut at San Diego Comic Con next year.

Meanwhile, not only has the Universal feature deal noted in another
                        thread been finalized, so I'm writing that now, but the Paramount
                        feature deal has *also* been closed, so now there are two big-budget
                        feature screenplay assignments that I have to write, the first due by
                        late November/early December, the second one sometime to be delivered
                        shortly after the first of the year. A third assignment is kind of
                        nibbling around the edges which could be very cool, even though I
                        couldn't start writing it until I finish the other two, which means
                        it'd have to be spring 2007 to turn in the script if the assignment
                        comes in.

Finally, now that Ron has said it's okay to bring in other directors on
                        Changeling, there's been a small flood of a-list directors coming
                        around to try and pick up the assignment. Part of the attraction is
                        not just the script, but the acting talent involved...as noted in the
                        LA Times piece, Reece Witherspoon (and two other oscar-winning leading
                        female actors) are extremely interested in the lead role. I imagine
                        we'll start having meetings in the next few weeks to narrow down the
                        list of directors.

It's crazy-busy, but good.

jms

message content (c) 2006
                        synthetic worlds, ltd.
                        permission to reprint
                        specifically denied to
                        SFX Magazine

Comment

• Considering what Peter Jurasik said that first DVD is about humans, then

Minbari = Sheridan?
                          Mars = Garibaldi?
                          B5 = Lochley?

I can hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sigma
                            Considering what Peter Jurasik said that first DVD is about humans, then

Minbari = Sheridan?
                            Mars = Garibaldi?
                            B5 = Lochley?

I can hope.
                            That was my guess as well, also based on him mentioning that specific group in Dreamwatch, but I didn't mention it on the newsgroup since I thought it might get a bit too close to story ideas.

I'm kind of curious what the Earth sequence will be.

Comment

• I agree with the suggestions made above, especially given JMS's stated desire to "cycle through the regulars" and Peter J's comment that the first batch would deal with the Humans. Didn't JMS also say that the first group would deal with issues of command? That would make Lochley more likely in my mind than Zack, for instance.

Originally posted by Shabaz
                              I thought it might get a bit too close to story ideas.
                              If it were, the mods would have bounced it. Besides, the definition of a story idea on the mod is pretty clear:

A "Story Idea" can be the description of a new character or event
                              in the show, the exact scripting of a scene, or any detailed
                              discussion of events which have not already appeared in an aired
                              show, been described on-line by show production staff, or
                              specifically predicted by dialog and events in shows already aired.
                              (Obviously, "joke" entries, outlandish dialogue, situations that will
                              not occur in the series, and parodies, may be acceptable.)

Speculation is allowed, however. The difference between speculation
                              and a story idea is that a speculation is directly supported by
                              events or dialog on the show or stated on-line by show production
                              staff.

We know that after 2262 Sheridan is based on Minbar, Garibaldi on Mars and Lochley on B5. It could hardly be a story idea to speculate that a story set in one of those places might involve one of those characters - especially given Peter Jurassik's comments (never contradicted by JMS) that the first batch would be about humans, which makes it that much more likely that the Minbari story would focus on Sheridan and the B5 story on Lochley, because the other likely candidates are aliens and thus excluded. To say "I hope (or think) that the Minbar story will be about Sheridan" is legitimate speculationi. To say "I hope the Minbar story will be about Sheridan having trouble adapting to life on the planet" or "I hope the Mars story is about Garibaldi connecting one of Edgar's black projects to Shadowtech" is a story idea.

Regards,

Joe

(Who just reviewed this whole issue in another context with Amy and some of the mods. )
                              Joseph DeMartino
                              Sigh Corps
                              Pat Tallman Division

Comment

• Thanks for the reminder of what constitutes a story idea, Joe. This seems to be a good time to remind people that we also steer clear of story ideas here on the off chance that JMS might ever come to visit.

Jan
                                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Working...
                                X