No announcement yet.

"Missing" JMS Posts from '92-'93?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for the sake of having it easily accessible in this thread: Hawthorne High School Comic Con transcript

JMS:... I ran into some guys who worked for TNT about two years after Crusade went down. And they said, "Did you ever hear the rest of the story?" JMS: "What rest of the story?" TNT guys: "We found out, we did a research survey, a five year long study of our ratings. This was just after Crusade got going. And, we found out that the audience for B5 came for B5, then left afterward. And the TNT regular viewers didn't stick around for B5 and went away and came back. B5 wasn't adding to our viewer base." So...they decided to pull the plug on Crusade for that reason and use the money to buy another show. But they couldn't say that because they'd be in breach of contract with Warner Bros. So their job was to make it impossible for us so they could then say, "We aren't getting the show we want, our notes aren't being dealt with, therefore we aren't responsible, we're canceling the show, this is your nut Warner Bros., you take care of it." That is why all the notes became so egregious. If I had given them everything they wanted, they still would have pulled the plug. They just wanted out....

Comment

Missing Posts

Most of the missing posts were from GEnie, which was where Joe was posting most of the time. At the time, I think we were archving some of them on the ftp site that turned into the Lurker's guide. When things got put together to archive them here, not all of those posts were up there.

I've done some digging in my old Atari ST 3.5" floppy disks and have found some that may have missing posts. Unfortunately, some of them aren't readable from a PC and may no longer be readable from an Atari ST. Disks formatted on an ST weren't readable on a PC, but ones formatted on a PC were readable on an ST. I don't have a working ST to check them out.

Before GEnie went under, I probably should have made sure the B5 archives there were preserved but never got around to it in time.

Lee Whiteside
      SFTV.org Webmaster
      Webmaster
      SFTV.org
      B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

Fortunately, DougO's post (see the first page on this thread) contains a link to a bunch of the "missing posts." So, while I doubt that every JMS post ever is now accounted for at least there are no huge gaping months of emptiness in the archive.

Of course if more of the posts are discovered and added to the database, that would be a very good thing.

Comment

I think there are still quite a number of JMS posts from the forum on AOL. I'd love if they were found (quite selfishly) because that's where I asked him my first questions.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by sftv
            I've done some digging in my old Atari ST 3.5" floppy disks and have found some that may have missing posts. Unfortunately, some of them aren't readable from a PC and may no longer be readable from an Atari ST. Disks formatted on an ST weren't readable on a PC, but ones formatted on a PC were readable on an ST. I don't have a working ST to check them out.
            I have a working ST. If you want me to give it a try, let me know.

Mike

Comment

Atari ST Files

I'll see what I can dig back up, although it appears that the archive David Strauss provided Doug O covers most of the missing GEnie posts. I missed that link when I first looked through the thread.

It's hard to believe its been 14 years since the Phoenix WesterCon presentation mentioned at the start of that archive file. Rick Sternbach was one of those squeezed into the room, BTW. He was the artist Guest of Honor.

Lee Whiteside
              Webmaster
              SFTV.org
              B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

Working...
              X