I'm new to the B5 universe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shadow-Sentient
    Babylon 5 is much more intense when you watch it straight through. A friend of mine and I did that. Essentially watching all day and night and stopping to rest and eat. We watched all of the episodes within the space of about a week and it wasn't our first time seeing the series. The show is far more powerful. Would I do it again? Probably not ... it's harsh on the body to sit a whole week doing that. But Babylon 5 was worth it just the once.
    It is more intense, and certainly more gratifying to run through it quickly, but I have to admit, it loses some of the epic feel when you don't see it in real time, i.e over five (plus) years. Having been there the first time, you almost feel like you lived through it (and all of the drama behind the scenes, as well).
    Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

Originally posted by B5_Obsessed
      It is more intense, and certainly more gratifying to run through it quickly, but I have to admit, it loses some of the epic feel when you don't see it in real time, i.e over five (plus) years. Having been there the first time, you almost feel like you lived through it (and all of the drama behind the scenes, as well).
      Spread it over five years? Are you absolutely nuts? I was proud when I managed to restrain myself and watch only one episode a day. That took me months. Now... I managed not to watch it for over a month... I wanted to catch up on Judge John Dead, Sea of Souls, Waking the Dead and New Tricks (I had recorded them but never made the time to watch them).
      But I caved in again. I simply MISSED those B5 characters... And now I started another ride. Aahhh, undiluted pleasure.
      And combined with the script books... simply heaven! I hope I'm only slightly mad.
      Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
      John Sheridan

Comment

No matter how much I like a series, I do not watch it more than once per year. I haven't watched DS9 (aside from an ep here or there) in almost two years. I have BSG Season 2.5 coming up, plus the third season, and then I have to finish my Dallas, Wild Wild West and War of the Worlds sets. Seinfeld Season 5 won't take long at all. Oh, and on Saturdays I watch Justice League with my son. We're almost to the second season. If you put more time between viewings, shows will seem so fresh.
        Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by B5_Obsessed
          Furthermore, what it wins in intensity it loses in suspense. It's just much more exciting if you have to wait for another week for a new show and/or a couple of months or (as has happened in Germany with Season 4) even 1-1/2 years until a Cliffhanger gets resolved. If you rush through it, you never have that level of excitement, because before you even can ask yourself "What does this mean?", "What will happen next?" "What NOW?" the answer already presents itself within the course of the show.

Comment

A big part of the fun of watching B5 over five years was the space in between where we B5-geeks could gather in our small holes on Usenet and talk about what had happened and speculate on what it all meant for the story and what might happen in future episodes.
            The Optimist: The glass is half full
            The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
            The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Working...
            X