Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know you've been watching too much B5 when....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Susitcha
    The only other suggestion, is to try and think of the episode that would appeal to her sense of humour, or personal preference in programmes. Only you know her well enough to know if such an epsiode exists...
    That is so true, even thou my daughter has not sat through all five seasons of Babylon 5à She still get s a kick out of
    ôthe Ivanova Danceö in "Acts of Sacrifice," with the Lumati ambassador, Lol.
    "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by rallytbk
      That is so true, even thou my daughter has not sat through all five seasons of Babylon 5à She still get s a kick out of
      ôthe Ivanova Danceö in "Acts of Sacrifice," with the Lumati ambassador, Lol.
      LOL
      I think us enthusiasts, sometimes have trouble seeing the smaller picture when it comes to B5. Most of us did not start the viewing experience thinking, this will be the best thing I ever watch, we started thinking, this looks good, I will give it a shot! Or maybe I am bored I wonder what this is?

It is why we try so hard to get those we like to give B5 a try, because we are sure they will appreciate it in the same way. It took us time to get there though and I think perhaps our enthusiasm can have the opposite effect than is intended.

Comment

When you see the headline "Shadow Transit on Uranus" and your first reaction is "oh noes".

http://skytonight.com/news/home/3823426.html

Comment

When you can't quite remember the precise name of the memocard of your camera and you hear yourself order "a 2 GB data cristal please".
          Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
          John Sheridan

Comment

Perhaps, it is best to leave it for her to discover...

The only other suggestion, is to try and think of the episode that would appeal to her sense of humour, or personal preference in programmes. Only you know her well enough to know if such an epsiode exists...

e.g. For me, as a non interested party who heard the show incessantly as my brother watched it, it was Ivannova's Wit and attitude that drew me in... I just liked her. I wanted to know more, and as I got to know her by watching a few episodes, I came to love the others too!

Pick an epsiode with a theme or focusing on a charactor who she will buy into....
            I have a feeling, she would be best suited to "A View From the Gallery" ... she tends to enjoy novels that take another perspective. The problem would be that you have to know frontstory to get what's going on in backstory. So ... dunno. Got her to go on Star Tours when we went to Disneyland. That was HUGE. She is vehemently anti Star Trek ... but that's okay because I'm not much a Star Trek fan. I think she would be okay with Babylon 5 is she were willing to give it a chance.
            "If I could be a bird, I'd be a Flying Purple People Eater because then people would sing about me and I could fly down and eat them because I hate that song. " - Jack Handey

Comment

I assume you have explained to her that it is like the "anti star trek" Meaning opposite not against. It took the mould for tv sci fi Star Trek had built and shattered it with five years of quality and consistently arced storyline.

For me Star trek is for the most part clean cut and idealised vision of the future...

B5 is a gritty, realistic kind of well actually this is what will probably happen. Their willl be good people and their will be bad people, and there are times you really are not sure which is which, and there are times when you will like that bad people more than the good people. It is like real life in that nothing is clear cut and no character is black and white. It is all shades of grey, and in the words of G'Kar, " no one here is exaclty as they seem"

THe only problem with view from the gallery is that for it to work as an alternate perspective you have to be familiar with the norm for B5.

It is a good episode though.

Comment

I assume you have explained to her that it is like the "anti star trek" Meaning opposite not against. It took the mould for tv sci fi Star Trek had built and shattered it with five years of quality and consistently arced storyline.
                No. I left well enough alone. It's one of those things where I feel that if I pushed it too much, it would turn her off altogether and then there will never be a chance.
                For me Star trek is for the most part clean cut and idealised vision of the future...

B5 is a gritty, realistic kind of well actually this is what will probably happen. Their willl be good people and their will be bad people, and there are times you really are not sure which is which, and there are times when you will like that bad people more than the good people. It is like real life in that nothing is clear cut and no character is black and white. It is all shades of grey, and in the words of G'Kar, " no one here is exaclty as they seem"
                I agree. However, it's not just the 'vision'. It's the improbability of it for her. She prefers CSI sorta stuff (which, incidentally, I like too) but her reasoning is that she can identify with it and it is based in the here and now and could potentially happen. Space stations in other galaxies and aliens are not something she sees as even close to reality (Inability to suspend disbelief and all), and I truly believe that for her, there has to be some element of reality to it. I even tried the argument about how Space Shuttles and cannons were not reality to cavemen but somewhere along the line someone dreamed them up (probably not a caveman but the point wasn't lost). They may have been science fiction at one time but eventually they happened. She acknowledged that but still to no avail.
                So, the fundamental problem is one that would be difficult to overcome at best. I forget that I am watching Science Fiction when I watch B5 but I think it might be a stretch for her.

THe only problem with view from the gallery is that for it to work as an alternate perspective you have to be familiar with the norm for B5.

It is a good episode though.
                Yeah, I aknowledged that in the post. I think she's just going to have to be bored at home one day and hopefully pop them in and start watching. Perhaps "In the Beginning" might be a better bet. Any thoughts?
                "If I could be a bird, I'd be a Flying Purple People Eater because then people would sing about me and I could fly down and eat them because I hate that song. " - Jack Handey

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow-Sentient
                  I agree. However, it's not just the 'vision'. It's the improbability of it for her. She prefers CSI sorta stuff (which, incidentally, I like too) but her reasoning is that she can identify with it and it is based in the here and now and could potentially happen. Space stations in other galaxies and aliens are not something she sees as even close to reality (Inability to suspend disbelief and all), and I truly believe that for her, there has to be some element of reality to it. I even tried the argument about how Space Shuttles and cannons were not reality to cavemen but somewhere along the line someone dreamed them up (probably not a caveman but the point wasn't lost). They may have been science fiction at one time but eventually they happened. She acknowledged that but still to no avail.
                  So, the fundamental problem is one that would be difficult to overcome at best. I forget that I am watching Science Fiction when I watch B5 but I think it might be a stretch for her.
                  I'm just the opposite as IMHO alot of "realistic" TV drama depends way too much on trying to co opt the viewers existing feelings. Murder, rape, the loss of a loved one or an incurable disease happening within a story set in the here and now can create emotion pretty easily so no effort is put into having them happen to interesting characters within an interesting plot.

What about "Passing Through Gethsemane"? thats pretty down to earth bar the use of telepaths and it doesnt depend that much on the larger plot.
                  Who are you?
                  What do you want?
                  What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

Originally posted by moreorless
                    I'm just the opposite as IMHO alot of "realistic" TV drama depends way too much on trying to co opt the viewers existing feelings. Murder, rape, the loss of a loved one or an incurable disease happening within a story set in the here and now can create emotion pretty easily so no effort is put into having them happen to interesting characters within an interesting plot.

What about "Passing Through Gethsemane"? thats pretty down to earth bar the use of telepaths and it doesnt depend that much on the larger plot.
                    i tend to think Parlament of Dreams is a good way to catch someone

Comment

Working...
                    X