Fleeting moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fleeting moments

Watching B5 in all its splender I realised there were moments, not really to do with the storyline, not the character moments, but just really quick scenes that made the show, a sort of OMG moment.

Three come to mind in today.

The first was when Sheridan is talking a space walk along the B5 antenna, can you imagine the feeling of standing tip-toe on the edge of B5s antenna and literally nothing around you, just space! this must be one fantastic feeling?

The second was in Revelations when the Shadow ships encounted the Narns at Z'ha'dum. the way the laser weopons sliced thru the Narn cruiser, this at the time looked amazing and still is, much better than the usual pulse lasers you get in other shows.

And finally, the moment an out of control Starfury crashes into C&C, this was a great OWW! moment, fantastic.

Have any of you got any favourites like this?

BTW I notice AOL has the first series to view online.

HoM
    "It is good to have friends, is it not, Mr. Garibaldi? Even if maybe .. only for a little while."
    "Even if only for a little while."

The end of "Severed Dreams". The 'cleanup' after the battle. Trust mr. Straczinsky to poignantly point out that any war is hell.
    "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

Comment

There are so many "OMG" moments, for example in Dust to Dust where G'kar sees his father and then boom an angel (Kosh), along with the music thats one hell of an OMG!!
      Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

The ones that stick out most for me are in

A View from the Gallery:

Bo & Mack stumble into the den of telepaths and the comment "I wish I could be out there with them" is utter. Byron grants his wish. This was an OMG moment for me ... the realization of what it must really be like to be 'out there'. How the bravado changed later. No other show deglorified war and brought out the reality of it, as well as B5 did.

Bo & Mack are talking about how they always have to clean up the "mess" and they come across Franklin standing over the bodies that resulted from the attacks. This moment was like a punch in the stomach ... perfectly executed and extremely poigniant ... i believe he was standing under the "Welcome to Babylon 5" sign too. Another OMG moment.

GROPOS:
        Garibaldi has a REAL reaction to things moving too quickly with Dodger. None of this 'studly' gotta have the testosterone addition for the sex-deprived viewers crap... a real reaction that a man might actually have in that situation.

Franklin's father is okay ... but all of the new friends that the crew made ... are laying in a pile of bodies on the Matok homeworld. OMG moment

Confessions and Lamentations:
        Franklin has the cure ... but he's too late?! OMG! Nobody does that! What no Star Trek Deux Ex ending? No reconfiguration of the warp plasma coils at the last second by some kid genius, who saves at least enough Markhab's so they can continue the species? No way. This is the kind of storytelling that made me never want to watch Star Trek again. OMG!!!

Sleeping in Light:
        1. JMS pulling the switch on his own creation. OMG so very cool.
        2. Sheridan actually dies for good. No bullsh*t miracle way to extend his life in fact Franklin is helpless to stop it. OMG he wasn't kidding about 20 years!
        3. The scenes between Delenn and Sheridan actually cause me to tear up ... Delenn watching the sunrise every morning for the rest of her life is the final mace in the eyes.
        OMG no television show has ever done that ... okay the last episodes of MASH and Cheers came close ... but nothing on this level.
        "If I could be a bird, I'd be a Flying Purple People Eater because then people would sing about me and I could fly down and eat them because I hate that song. " - Jack Handey

Comment

Sinclair = Valen
          My jaws dropped...
          Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
          John Sheridan

Comment

Oh, and I really must not forget that one moment. Allow me to elaborate for just a second.

Almost everybody here choked up when they saw 'Sleeping in Light'. As a matter of fact I didn't, I was warned of course but anyway; I knew that this would be the end. It had been set out from the beginning, and what better way to end the B5-sage than with the departure of John J. Sheridan? And to be honest, I'm not one for tear-jerkers.

Now, why do I say this? Because I had one(only 1) moment in the whole 5 years of episodes that I went to get a handkerchief(so to speak...), one moment that was really really really impressive.

It comes from 'Passing through Gethsemane' :

"I always wanted to know, if I would have the courage to stay at the garden at Gethesemane. Now I know."

Beautiful. Especially since neither the author JMS not me are religious people. And fuck! what an actor! Way to unknown for such a talent. I mean... Bride of CHUCKY!! Brad Dourif deserves so *much* more than that... Like maybe a Grammy for that episode.
            "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

Comment

Face of the Enemy: the fight scene with sheridan and the mob, totally awesome choriography, lighting, shooting and music. Just one moment that kinda puts B5 on a level above star trek

as an aside I have always hated every moment in star trek where in the last 10 mins of the episode they pull the 'particle of the week' moment on the viewer, what a cheat!

Comment

The fight between Marcus and Neroon in "Grey 17 is Missing" is a particularly good revelation moment for me. Of course my revelation was, "Are all of those floor rolls really necessary?" But it takes all kinds I think.
                "Sector 87 by 20 by 42. At least a dozen ships have reported seeing something rather godlike in the area, and since neither you nor I were there, it must be one of the first ones." -- Marcus to Ivanova (J. Michael Straczynski)

Comment

Originally posted by Stunning_in_Purple
                  The fight between Marcus and Neroon in "Grey 17 is Missing" is a particularly good revelation moment for me. Of course my revelation was, "Are all of those floor rolls really necessary?" But it takes all kinds I think.
                  I can understand the floor rolls...sorta. What always bugs me is when one of the combatants turns their back on the other and still blocks a blow.

I got an enhanced appreciation for some of the fight scenes in the latest (I think) script book when JMS mentioned that Jason Carter almost always did his own fights, even the one where he ran up a wall and back down at the bad guys. Whew.

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I saw Jason Carter once at a Con. I can understand how he does it. That man has a lot of energy. He ran around in circles singing "Modern Major General" until he collapsed on the stage.
                    "Sector 87 by 20 by 42. At least a dozen ships have reported seeing something rather godlike in the area, and since neither you nor I were there, it must be one of the first ones." -- Marcus to Ivanova (J. Michael Straczynski)

Comment

I loved the scene in "A Paragon of Animals" when the Emfili dude in the bunker sees the jump points forming and tells "Lukhat" (I think his name is) that he first thought that it was a new star, meaning good luck, but "they are not stars.. look!'

Of course, we knew that they WERE stars. Whitestars, to be exact. Just some throughaway dialogue that meant a lot if you were paying attention.

The OMG scene of that episode, though, came with three words from Londo. Asked by the Drazi ambassador just how many White Stars were in orbit around Emfili, he replied, "all of them." Not so much an OMG moment for the viewer as a sympathetic OMG moment, feeling for the poor Ambassador.

Probably the first OMG moment I felt in the series was in "The Parliament of Dreams" when the camera panned past the representatives of Earth's religions, and you saw how many there were. That was something I had never seen before in a TV show; an attempt to show how religion (and though it, humanity) in general would look to an outsider.
                      I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

"Parliament of Dreams" was definitely a wow moment for me. I think it was the episode that really got me hooked on the series. The episode in the 5th season with Bo and Mack was a really good one too.

Comment

Originally posted by Stunning_in_Purple
                          ...The episode in the 5th season with Bo and Mack was a really good one too.
                          I really, really wish I liked this episode more. I loved the Bo and mack stuff, but the Sheridan and Delenn stuff (and the overall plot) were just so painfully bad, IMO. The dialogue where Sheridan orders delenn out, and then Delenn refuses to take the shuttle must have been painful for Mira to mouth, but it was even more painful to watch. Worse than any dialogue in the first season, IMO. I still cannot believe JMS wrote that bit of the show. I blame the cat.
                          I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Deconstruction of Falling Stars

The very end. Human walks towards an encounter suit and FLASH, he's a ball of energy that zooms into the suit. The helmet closes up to reveal a homo sapien-esque face that looks towards us as if almost to say 'Yep, just wait. It'll be our turn soon'

Comment

Signs and Portents: (Transcript from the "B5 Spoiler Junkies Archive" site)

Ladira: I don't know if Ambassador Mollari mentioned it to you or not, but when I arrived here, I had a vision about this place.
                              Sinclair: He told me, but we came through the attack in one piece. The station is safe.
                              Ladira: For now. But the vision, Commander. The vision is still there. It's not an easy thing, but I can let you see - if you will trust me.

She offers her left hand, and he takes it. She places her right hand on the side of his head. Sinclair sees a shuttle rocketing out of the docking ring as the station simultaneously disappears in a fiery explosion. The vision fades, but Sinclair is rocked by what he has seen.

Sinclair: This - Is it a vision of what will be or what might be?
                              Ladira: The future is always changing. We create the future with our words, our deeds, and with our beliefs. This is a possible future, Commander, and it is my hope that you may yet avoid it.

This hooked me for good! Up until that moment, B5 was an interesting show, but not a favorite. From that moment on though, I was obsessed! I wouldn't rest until I'd seen the very last episode, until the storyline had played out completely! -bows to JMS-
                              Last edited by white_star25; 05-29-2006, 08:09 AM.
                              What a sad thing you are! Unable to answer even such a simple question without falling back on references and genealogies and what other people call you! Have you nothing of your own? Nothing to stand on that is not provided, defined, delineated, stamped, sanctioned, numbered and approved by others? How can you be expected to fight for someone else, when you haven't the fairest idea who you are?

"Comes The Inquisitor"

Comment

Working...
                              X