• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babylon 5 and Philosophy

Anyone know of any articles, essays, etc. that deal with "Philosophy in
    Bablylon 5"??

"The Book of G'Kar"

Comment

Is there such a book? With garibaldi's coffee stain? I would like to know... LOL
      "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by FCBertrand
        Anyone know of any articles, essays, etc. that deal with "Philosophy in
        Bablylon 5"??
        Long time lurker posting now to let you know about this book:

http://www.personal.rdg.ac.uk/~lhsjamse/babylon5.htm

I've got a copy and it's quite interesting, actually. I nearly ended up writing my undergraduate thesis on B5.

In the end I did it on The Philosophy for Children Program.

Comment

Philosophy in B5

Tks TurkishZath for your helpful and relevant reply. I've been intrigued
          for a long time by Straczynski's use of "philosophical ideas" in B5,
          in particular Political Philosophy, Ethics, and Philosophy of Religion. But
          I've found little in the way of useful discussion/dialogue/debate about
          this. Was not aware of the book you note: The Parliament Of Dreams.
          Anyone seen available used copies of this????

Comment

I've never heard of that book at all, though it sounds interesting. I have another, though, called "Interracting with Babylon 5" that I'd completely forgotten about. I'll see if I can't take a look and see if it has anything that might be of interest to you, FCBertrand.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

It's still out of print according to amazon, and ebay doesn't give any hits on it. Solly...
              "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

Comment

Philosophy in B5

Tks Jan and TowelMaster for your info. One of the few B5 books I do have
                at present is Kurt Lancaster's Interacting With Babylon 5. And on p. 12
                he does quote from a jms interview wherein jms indicates he likes writing
                stories about "issues of eternal debate, the Big Questions [such as] who are
                we, where are we going, why are we here, and what should we as a
                people be doing to create the future?" One could substitute traditional
                philosophical terminology for each of these and hopefully engage in some
                cogent discussion/dialogue/debate about how they are depicted in B5....
                But, my experience with Internet communities, albeit devoted to Philip K.
                Dick, Bertrand Russell, The Prisoner, etc., is that I'll find mostly irrelevant
                fluff consisting of posturing, pontificating, and cruel comments about other
                posters.

Comment

One could substitute traditional
                  philosophical terminology for each of these and hopefully engage in some
                  cogent discussion/dialogue/debate about how they are depicted in B5....
                  But, my experience with Internet communities, albeit devoted to Philip K.
                  Dick, Bertrand Russell, The Prisoner, etc., is that I'll find mostly irrelevant
                  fluff consisting of posturing, pontificating, and cruel comments about other
                  posters.
                  Well, we've been known to have our lapses, but most folks around here enjoy a good conversation. Any posturers or pontificators are easily put on 'Ignore', I think.

I'm not familiar with philosophical terminology but feel free to start a thread or give an example and we can see if folks are interested.

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Philosophy in Babylon 5

I would note the following from p. 28 of David Bassom's book Creating Babylon 5:

"As well as moral debate, Babylon 5 frequently touches upon the
                    subject of religion. Although Straczynski is an atheist, he has always
                    been interested in the subject and minored in philosophy at San Diego
                    State University. Given that religion has existed for 4,000 years of
                    recorded history, he feels that it won't go away within the next 250 years
                    or so."

jms also got BAs in Psychology and Sociology at SDSU, as well as a second
                    minor in Literature.

Anyone know what year he graduated from SDSU?

Comment

jms also got BAs in Psychology and Sociology at SDSU, as well as a second
                      minor in Literature.

Anyone know what year he graduated from SDSU?
                      Looks like anywhere from '75 to '78. There's this post :
                      Subject: ATTN JMS: When did you go to r
                      To: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
                      Date: 1/28/1995 2:39:00 PM

Okay...Kankakee in 1972-73; Richland 1973-1974; Southwestern
                      1974-1976; SDSU 1976-1977.

jms
                      And this one:
                      Subject: Re: a nosey question about jms...
                      To: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
                      Date: 1/3/2003 8:09:00 PM

>Just out of sheer curiosity, when? I was at SDSU in the early
                      >'70s (73 - 75). EE mostly.

From around 1975-78. About a year in, I started writing for the San Diego
                      State Daily Aztec, and ended up writing so many articles, reviews and columns
                      -- sometimes 4-5 per week, sometimes twice a day -- that the paper became known
                      on campus as the Daily Joe.

jms
                      Jan

Comment

Philosophy in Babylon 5

Whilst doing some Internet searching, came across a posting at B5JMS:
                        cs.columbia.edu, from [email protected], with some helpful info. In that
                        jms attended four different colleges, the question I now have is at which
                        one did he get his minor in Philosophy?? Perhaps jms can let us know??

p.s. Well, as a postscript, have found the archives at jsmNews. Searched
                        by "philosophy," and have gotten quite a bit of info. Apparently jms got
                        all his college majors and minors at San Diego State University.
                        Last edited by FCBertrand; 05-05-2006, 01:29 PM. Reason: additional info found at jmsNews

Comment

FC Bertrand, it looks as though you're in Manchester.

Harvard has a copy in their library, otherwise I only see it in Texas and a few British libraries.

Comment

Philosophy in B5

Tks, TurkishZath, for that info. I'm going to try ILL through the library where
                            I'm working on my MEd. Visited the website for the Philosophy Dept at
                            SDSU, to ascertain what it takes to get a minor in Philosophy -- 24 units,
                            of which there's one required course.

Comment

It may be a bit much, but may I suggest that the B5-canon in itself is a(minor) philosophical work?
                              "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

Comment

Working...
                              X