No announcement yet.

Yet another poll..vote for your favorite B5 TV movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since The Gathering aired all by itself in 1993... with no connection to any series... I consider it to be a movie. (And it was advertised as such.)

If it had aired like TNG's or DS9's first movie (as part of the series in the regularly scheduled time), then I'd consider it an extra-long two-part episode.

(Same reasoning applies to A Call to Arms. It aired separately from the series, and was advertised as a movie, so I consider it to be a movie.)

EDIT: I consider In the Beginning the best. As my English professor once remarked, ITB was like a movie that Shakespeare would have written. Exactly. It's a modern version of Greek Tragedy... hubris, violence, massive death... brilliant.

The other B5 movies were entertaining, but didn't impress me much. The only one that rises to the level of "Shakespearean" was A Call to Arms because of the tragic poisoning of Earth, but unfortunately the writing and dialogue and characterization was "off" for some reason. Like JMS rushed through the script.

Thirdspace was dull. River of Souls dull. Legend of Rangers dull.

IMHO, Mr.Straczynski is not very good on the "short format" storytelling. He does a much better job with the multi-part epic stories.

Last edited by RCmodeler; 03-13-2004, 03:54 PM.

Comment

ThirdSpace was dull? this is the first time i hear this.
      Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

Really? Cause I've meet few people who say anything differently

First half of Thirdspace was a bit humdrum but still pretty good and rather interesting followed up by a second half that seemed a bit impossible as well as bordering on the ridiculous.

Comment

I've been watching sci-fi TV/movies a looooong time. To me Thirdspace was just another "aliens invade/threaten destruction/we push them back"-type of story. Same-old; same-old. It's been done to death.

Now if you want a REALLY good aliens story, go read "The Mote in God's Eye". Lots of cool and original ideas there. Far more interesting than Thirdspace was.

Comment

You can call TS anything you like but dull is not one of them,you can hate it for all i care,but how can you say its dull? its action packed (omg i feel like watching it again....)

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger1
              You can call TS anything you like but dull is not one of them,
              I can call Thirdspace whatever I want Ranger1. It's called "free speech" and "my opinion".

I watched Thirdspace twice, and both times I found it to be boring. I'm sorry you don't like my opinion, but nothing you say will change it. "To me Thirdspace was just another 'aliens invade/threaten destruction/we push them back'-type of story. Same-old; same-old. It's been done to death," is what I said and I'm standing by that position.

So back off. You have no right to dictate to me what I can or can not like.

Comment

I have to say i nearly turned thridspace off at least twice during watching and found it a real strain to complete. Yes it was dull because the story wasnt interesting or at least not in a different way ( it appeared to me like a bad version of event horizon) .
                I like action, but only if there is some relevance behind it, the drama didnt get me caught up enough in the story to be interested in the action (ditto for LotR). River of souls i won't comment on (suffice to say Lochley: Underware)

I love The Gathereing, its just one problem after another, and the resolution of one problem being the cause of another - there is never a point in that movie that i switch off. It fascinates me.

In the beginning was good, and was made believable - i really felt we were on the brink of anhilation and that is what it would be like - no cheesyness there.
                A call to arms though is probably my second favourite (havent seen it for ages mind). That had the real feeling of being a B5 movie (unlike TS, LotR and RoS <---- these are like the Ep1's of B5)

Don't get me wrong, i don't want to slag any of the films off immensley, i guess Jms shot himself in the foot when he wrote B5, my expectations when he writes are so high (he is the shining beacon of light - in a sea of over priced over produced crap ).
                One up for the angry Teep

Comment

P.S. Ranger1: Rather than debating with me/us, why don't you go read "The Mote in God's Eye" like I suggested? Trust me, you'll like it. In fact, it was so popular it had a sequel.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

In the year 3016, the Second Empire of Man spans hundreds of star systems, thanks to the faster-than-light Alderson Drive. No other intelligent beings have ever been encountered, not until a light sail probe enters a human system carrying a dead alien. The probe is traced to the Mote, an isolated star in a thick dust cloud, and an expedition is dispatched.
                  In the Mote the humans find an ancient civilization--at least one million years old--that has always been bottled up in their cloistered solar system for lack of a star drive. The Moties are welcoming and kind, yet rather evasive about certain aspects of their society. It seems the Moties have a dark problem, one they've been unable to solve in over a million years.

This is the first collaboration between Niven and Pournelle, two masters of hard science fiction, and it combines Pournelle's interest in the military and sociology with Niven's talent for creating interesting, believable aliens. The novel meticulously examines every aspect of First Contact, from the Moties' biology, society, and art, to the effects of the meeting on humanity's economics, politics, and religions. And all the while suspense builds as we watch the humans struggle toward the truth

Comment

Originally posted by RCmodeler
                    I can call Thirdspace whatever I want Ranger1. It's called "free speech" and "my opinion".
                    Relax,take a pill,i didnt say you can talk whoah....bad day eh?

Comment

Yes, you did: "You can call TS anything you like but dull is not one of them". You're telling me what I can or can not say.

Comment

Oh boy

Comment

RCmodeler,

You are another victim of the loss of the second-person-impersonal pronoun of "one" in general use in English.

It is clear to me that Ranger1 meant "One can call TS anything one likes but dull is not one of them" in the impersonal sense. "You" was not meant to mean "RCmodeler" in this context, so don't feel personally offended.

As a matter of fact, I tend to agree with you. I found TS rather dull myself, because even the attemped drama and action came off as disinteresting. To me, it was more like the old Del Rey B5 novels - I just didn't consider the charactors to be the Sheridan et al that I knew.

I did like the dream sequences, though.
                          I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Okay, well, I still think Ranger1 should go read "The Mote In God's Eye".

(Ain't I persistant?)

Comment

Originally posted by RCmodeler
                              Okay, well, I still think Ranger1 should go read "The Mote In God's Eye".
                              Why? Just because it is the best science fiction novel ever written?
                              I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
                                Seems to me that most people have ITB as their favourite and ACtA as their second favourite... with LotR almost always dead last.

Maybe a better focus for this topic to start taking is why ITB and ACtA tend to be everyones top favourites and why Thirdspace, River of Souls, and Legend of the Rangers (in paticular) failed to make such a dent on most of the fanbase.
                                Re. letting the old cast go, I did that with Crusade. That wasn't the problem with the Rangers pilot. The problem was that the story was weak (seemingly pointless and irrational). There a lot of things that could have been done to make it more interesting, e.g. showing the artifact (or whatever it was) being found on that alien planet (potentially by MAX EILERSON). showing the probe that came back deformed/distorted, etc.
                                Mac Breck (KoshN)
                                ------------------
                                Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                                JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                                Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Working...
                                X