Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just finished watching the entire series of Babylon 5 for the first time! (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked both Sinclair and Sheridan. Both were good leaders with different styles.
    RIP Coach Larry Finch
    Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
    Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

I think the example of the Shadows and Vorlons demonstrates the principle that you shouldn't make others to live like you. You can be an example, show others what you do and why, but from the moment on where you force somebody to live like you are living - either in a "hidden" way like the vorlons, manipulating the heck or in an "open" way like the shadows - you are evil. Funny how it works most of the time (for me).

Jesus and John Lennon and others are not great because they forced some to live like they do (like the church does by the way), but because they showed how you *can* live, and leave you the choice.

PeAcE
      greetings from austria, best known for its history and fine wine... feels like a wine cellar on a graveyard 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by SLerman
        The Vorlons were the good guys until they started smoking entire planets of innocent people. Kosh certainly cared about the younger races, but that was definitely not a universal feeling among the Vorlons.
        Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
        I don't like how that came out of nowhere.
        To me, it doesn't come out of nowhere. In "Comes the Inquisitor" the Vorlons use torture on Delenn and Sheridan. NO ONE who is spiritually advanced would do that.
        And no one ever comes back from Vorlon space (except for Lyta)... what are they hiding?
        Last edited by DeMonk; 03-21-2006, 02:40 AM.
        Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
        John Sheridan

Comment

Originally posted by DeMonk
          And no one ever comes back from Vorlon space (except for Lyta)... what are they hiding?
          Ninja monkeys....thousands of them.
          "Sector 87 by 20 by 42. At least a dozen ships have reported seeing something rather godlike in the area, and since neither you nor I were there, it must be one of the first ones." -- Marcus to Ivanova (J. Michael Straczynski)

Comment

Or Jimmy Hoffa
            RIP Coach Larry Finch

Comment

Nah ... Elvis
              The Optimist: The glass is half full
              The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
              The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                I don't like how that came out of nowhere. I understand the explanation of it, but it still seems quite out of place.
                The Vorlons began wiping out planets "touched by the Shadows" because they changed their strategy from one of indirect action to one of direct action. They had never confronted the Shadows openly because they thought it too risky. With Sheridan's success on Z'Ha'Dum, they no longer thought that, and decided to take the war directly to the Shadows and their allies. It does not seem out of place to me at all; their entire pose as "saviors" was entirely self-interested, barring Kosh's own personal feelings..
                I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse
                  I finally just finished watching S5 of B5. I was in tears when B5 exploded, and Sheridian gone. No TV show has ever affected me this way, all I can say is wow. While the first of S5 was weak, the last part of it is amazing. I'm nearly speechless now.
                  Isn't it just a great show ! What gave you the idea to watch it ? And why now instead of years ago ? I agree that NO show is as powerful as B5. It is AWESOME. Star Trek also is a good show, but in comparison to B5? there is no comparison ! What you need to do now is, watch it again. You'll see how much you pick up on 2nd time round that fits into place with the benefit of foresight. Enjoy ! Enjoy ! Enjoy !

Comment

Originally posted by burns3016
                    Isn't it just a great show ! What gave you the idea to watch it ? And why now instead of years ago ? I agree that NO show is as powerful as B5. It is AWESOME. Star Trek also is a good show, but in comparison to B5? there is no comparison ! What you need to do now is, watch it again. You'll see how much you pick up on 2nd time round that fits into place with the benefit of foresight. Enjoy ! Enjoy ! Enjoy !
                    Well I was around 8 years old when it went on, and I wasn't into sci-fi yet, well except for Star Wars. I tried watching it in the later seasons once or twice when I was older, but I couldn't follow what was going on. Then when I was in 9th or 10th grade, a friend of mine suggested watching the show, since it just started airing on the Sci-Fi channel. Unfortuantely I couldn't because I was working and didn't have my own VCR. Finally last fall I wanted to start watching 24, but didn't want to spend the monery on the box sets, so I subscribed to Netflix and watched seasons 1-4. After that I was thinking about what to rent next, and I remembered Babylon 5, so I decided to start watching it. Especially since I grew into a huge Sci-fi fan during my Intermediate school, years, which of course continues to this day, in my third year in college. I immediately got hooked to the show and fell in love with it. Before I watched Babylon 5, seasons 1-6 (it started going downhill with S7, and now the show is dreadfully awful) of Stargate SG-1 was my favorite Sci-fi show, but now it is B5 by far! I just bought the DVDs for myself, and started watching it from the beginning again!
                    http://card.mygamercard.net/Wicked%20Vorlon.jpg

Comment

I just finished watching the series for a second time. It's amazing all the little clues you pick up on the second time around. So many plots that seem meaningless at first become so important. I finally get the Jason Ironheart story, and how it connects to important events. I also forgot what an ass G'Kar was early in the series, and also Londo. I still felt so sorry for the character even after all that he did. Still cried at the end of the series also.
                      http://card.mygamercard.net/Wicked%20Vorlon.jpg

Comment

Yup, the first time I watched B5, there were times I was yelling at Londo "What the hell are you doing?!", and G'Kar never failed in making my jaw fall off my face as the series progressed. Not from the makeup, but the depth of character.
                        RIP Coach Larry Finch

Comment

ThatÆs one of the reasons why I am so disappointed with TV and movies todayà No wow factor is put into it. In reality, can anybody watch some the junk being produced today, a second or third time around? i.e. War of the Worlds.

Babylon 5 was a sophisticated well planed and executed show from beginning to end. While it did have rough edges in the beginning I accepted all of it as part of whole story.

Note: I enjoyed season one even more now the (umpteen) second time around knowing what was to be come of all the main characters in the end was enlightening.

As G'Kar said:
                          "Let me pass on to you the one thing I've learned about this place. No one here is exactly what he appears. Not Mollari, not Delenn, not Sinclair .. and not me."

-- G'Kar to Sakai in Babylon 5:"Mind War"
                          "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by rallytbk
                            ThatÆs one of the reasons why I am so disappointed with TV and movies todayà No wow factor is put into it. In reality, can anybody watch some the junk being produced today, a second or third time around? i.e. War of the Worlds.
                            You know ... that is a far more interesting question than you might imagine (oops, crossover from the 'You know you've watched too much B5 when ...' thread).

I do not consider myself to be a TV junkie of any description. I don't actually watch that much, except news (of which I am a junkie), and generally follow a few shows, the current crop consisting of 24, BSG, Lost and (to a smaller extent) NCIS and CSI: Vegas.

But of all the shows I have followed over the years, B5 is the only one that I watch through repeatedly on DVD - start at the beginning go right through, take a couple months off and start again.

I am a rampant 24 fan, particularly seasons 1 and 2, and have the first three seasons on DVD, but they have barely been out of the box (hence I didn't bother getting S4 in spite of watching it avidly). I love BSG, missed most of the first season on first run so bought the DVD boxset, watched the eps I missed and it has sat on the shelf ever since.

There is just something about B5 (and no other show in TV history) that keeps pulling me back in time after time after time. I can't explain it, but wouldn't have it any other way.

Perhaps JMS was even more forward thinking than we gave him credit for. For me there is just something about the structure of the various story arcs, the way there is so much interwoven stuff that is gradually and subtley pulled together over 5 years that makes it work even better on DVD to watch at your own pace than it did on TV.

Other shows may have taken on the continuing, pre-planned story arc thing, but I don't think any of them have yet nailed it quite as well as the original and still the best.
                            The Optimist: The glass is half full
                            The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                            The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Plus, as stated countless other times before by others, repeated viewings bring up new things.

The only other work that has done that for me has been the 12-issue comic book series "Watchmen" by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. Just about every panel in the comic is packed with detail and subtlety that no matter how many times I've read the tradeback, I still notice something on a particular page, and flip a few pages back and see it in the background of a particular panel.

I know that a TV show and a comic book are 2 different mediums, but the amount of depth found in these 2 particular works is pretty neat.
                              RIP Coach Larry Finch

Comment

Working...
                              X