X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by DeMonk
    Well, I don't think they were trying to escape their destinies, they are both trying to save the persons they care deeply about/love from suffering: Sinclair tries to save Garibaldi and Delenn does the same for Sheridan.
    Now that's an angle I hadn't seen and it's certainly possible. I'd tend to allow it for Delenn, though, moreso than Sinclair. After all, 'old Sinclair' would have already known that Michael would survive being shot in the back. If Garibaldi communicated any lasting trauma, we didn't see it other than the one episode where he temporarily lost confidence in himself. Sheridan's consequences were much greater.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• DeMonk
    replied
    Weakness?

Originally posted by Jan
    I like that we were given those two moments of weakness. I think I mentioned in the 'disrespected' thread that one thing we didn't see much of was the characters angsting and second-guessing themselves but with these two moments we do see them trying, albeit futilely, to escape their destinies.

Jan
    Well, I don't think they were trying to escape their destinies, they are both trying to save the persons they care deeply about/love from suffering: Sinclair tries to save Garibaldi and Delenn does the same for Sheridan.

They're both acting out of love for someone other than themselves.
    I don't know these instants are moments of weakness!

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by therichieboy
    By WWE it turns out it was Delenn in the suit and Sinclair's warning was to the season 1 Garibaldi flying away ('watch your back...'etc). Was it always the intention that this was the warning? Either way why did he say he tried to warn 'them'? I get the feeling that maybe the exact chain of events may have changed between the penning of B2 and WWE. Am I totally wrong? If so was the warning an attempt to help stop the assasination of Santiago? What would be the point of trying to re-write history like this?
    I think it was always intended to be 'watch your back' because it was actually foreshadowed in TKO, when Walker Smith kept telling Michael to watch his back.

I think what we saw in WWE was not only Sinclair having a moment of weakness, but Delenn as well.

What Sinclair tried to warn Garibaldi of was exactly when the road to his becoming Valen was set-when Garibaldi was shot and Jeff was called to Earth, then sent to Minbar.

Delenn, knowing what had to happen, even what *had* happened, still tells Sheridan not to go to Zha'ha'dum because it was there that he would die and she'd only have (at the time she said that) a few more years with him.

Both scenes were included in the Final Draft of the script which was generally the first one distributed to the cast and crew so it seems likely that they were originally intended.

I like that we were given those two moments of weakness. I think I mentioned in the 'disrespected' thread that one thing we didn't see much of was the characters angsting and second-guessing themselves but with these two moments we do see them trying, albeit futilely, to escape their destinies.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• vacantlook
    replied
    I figure that Sinclair's warning was an effort to try to warn them about Santiago's assassination (in the greater scheme of things, about Garibaldi being shot in the smaller more personal scheme of things), personally.

Leave a comment:

• Nacho
    replied
    'I tried to warn them....
    Well, at that time Sinclair knew he would become Valen. Perhaps he was referring to what he would do in the future, and so must have done in their past.

Leave a comment:

• therichieboy
    started a topic Watch your back, Michael

Watch your back, Michael

My question involves 'Babylon Squared' and 'War Without End 1&2' When the older Sinclair says 'I tried to warn them....'etc at the end of B2 I had always thought that this reffered to the appearence of the space suited man in the central coridoor of B4 gesturing to the young Sinclair. By WWE it turns out it was Delenn in the suit and Sinclair's warning was to the season 1 Garibaldi flying away ('watch your back...'etc). Was it always the intention that this was the warning? Either way why did he say he tried to warn 'them'? I get the feeling that maybe the exact chain of events may have changed between the penning of B2 and WWE. Am I totally wrong? If so was the warning an attempt to help stop the assasination of Santiago? What would be the point of trying to re-write history like this?
Working...
X