• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpooRancher
    replied
    Originally posted by spikey thing
    what is wrong with roundabouts?

Nothing that a good bulldozer couldn't fix!
    Roundabouts, in traffic terms, called "Circles" in America, are where instead of intersections, you have the roads all merging into a circle around a central grassy area or monument. All roads merge into a circle, clockwise in England and "left-side-driving" countries, counterclockwise in America. Traffic is "theoretically" less slowed, but all of the merging and threading is often difficult (apparantly by the number of accidents I have witnessed at these formations) for people to wrap their brains around.

Leave a comment:

• spikey thing
    replied
    what is wrong with roundabouts?

Nothing that a good bulldozer couldn't fix!

Leave a comment:

• SpooRancher
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoo Junky
    I just got back from a vacation in Paris (my first time in Europe). After seeing the streets there, ours seem so tame. I can't believe I didn't see an accident - very unusual intersections and roundabouts

When I first arrived and we were getting a ride to our hotel, I wondered what I had gotten myself into. Luckily we didn't have to drive - just look 360 degrees before crossing. After a few days I got used to it (sort of), but I'm sure glad to be home. Makes me appreciate our streets more
    You can find a lot of those wonderful "roundabouts" in New Jersey as well, one of the reasons I tend to stay away from there.

Leave a comment:

• Spoo Junky
    replied
    I just got back from a vacation in Paris (my first time in Europe). After seeing the streets there, ours seem so tame. I can't believe I didn't see an accident - very unusual intersections and roundabouts

When I first arrived and we were getting a ride to our hotel, I wondered what I had gotten myself into. Luckily we didn't have to drive - just look 360 degrees before crossing. After a few days I got used to it (sort of), but I'm sure glad to be home. Makes me appreciate our streets more

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Thanks, TB...but I grew up in Chicago and saw plenty of them. I can understand it in huge cities that simply ran out of room but in an area like this, it's just poor planning. But I get a few pages read now and then which saves my blood pressure.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• AaronB
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    Oh, sure! There's the parking lot affectionately known as I-4 and the ONE road I can use to get home becomes a parking lot at the smallest fender-bender.

Of course, it's *always* a tourist's fault! <g>

Jan
    Jan, next time you are up this way I would be happy to show you some of the parking lots in the NYC area

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    traffic jams? HA!

Originally posted by Jan
    Oh, sure! There's the parking lot affectionately known as I-4 and the ONE road I can use to get home becomes a parking lot at the smallest fender-bender.

Jan
    oh please, I live roughly 11 km from Dublin city centre, IF I leave after 07:15 in the mornign the least amount of time it takes me to get in is an hour and a half. A motorway which cuts across the city routinely has 8 mile, non-moving for 20 mins at a time, tailbacks.

8 lane highways you have, honestly, you don't know you're born
    Phaze,
    on the "grumpy old man" ID

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied

Jan

Leave a comment:

• AaronB
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    I've got a book with me at all times. I read in traffic jams (when you're at a complet stop for minutes at a time), in long lines in restaurants when I'm on my own...I usually have about 3 books going at once.

Oh, and if you can find the trade paperback of Midnight Nation you *won't* be disappointed.

Jan
    There are traffic jams in Orlando?

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Yes, that sounds like it. In comics, when they gather up multiple issues into one big book, that's a trade paperback.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• DeMonk
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    Oh, and if you can find the trade paperback of Midnight Nation you *won't* be disappointed.

Jan
    What is a trade paperback?

Mine is ISBN1-58240-460-7

2004-SECOND PRINTING - with an afterword by JMS on page 271
    Black cover with a light shooting upwards from the I of Midnight

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by DeMonk
    The stack is going to hit the ceiling.

Just ordered
    I've got a book with me at all times. I read in traffic jams (when you're at a complet stop for minutes at a time), in long lines in restaurants when I'm on my own...I usually have about 3 books going at once.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• DeMonk
    replied
    Done

The stack is going to hit the ceiling.

Just ordered

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Here are some listings for Tribulations.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• DeMonk
    replied
    Books

Well, I got you beat there.
    The ones that are obtainable ... I ordered.
    Some I already got. The 3 trilogies, in the beginning, the 5 season guides

I liked JMS's way of telling and so went for some of the comics too. Hardcover RISING STARS, found only the first 2 of supreme power, midnight nation.

Tales from the New Twilight Zone; Straczinsky unplugged.

Demon Night and Othersyde : Amazon asked if a delay of 2 months was OK.

But Tribulations, they couldn't find it anymore.

So, can you guess why I'm a bit behind with my reading?
    The stack simply gets higher.

Thank God I had an excellent English teacher.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X