X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinclair's Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Looney View Post
    It really is an odd bit of trivia. Why was he hired and why wasn't the part bigger? Anyone know if it was edited down? Is it possible they were originally intending for him to make more than one appearance? So strange that they would hire such an infamous person to play the role of a smuggler and then have his screen time be so limited. It is like they wanted the role to become oddball trivia. LOL
    I don't know what the original plan was, (or even if there was a plan to begin with!), and it would certainly be a great question to ask JMS, but yeah his appearance in the film is almost non-existent... until you watch the extended edition. Then the spoo really hits the fan!

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by Sinclair's Fan View Post
    It's comforting to know that -even after all this time- our beloved Babylon 5 still yeilds big surprises, and occasionally... magic!
    It really is an odd bit of trivia. Why was he hired and why wasn't the part bigger? Anyone know if it was edited down? Is it possible they were originally intending for him to make more than one appearance? So strange that they would hire such an infamous person to play the role of a smuggler and then have his screen time be so limited. It is like they wanted the role to become oddball trivia. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Sinclair's Fan
    replied
    Now there is an odd bit of trivia I didn't know. Everyone better remember that one. It will be on the final exam.
    It's comforting to know that -even after all this time- our beloved Babylon 5 still yeilds big surprises, and occasionally... magic!

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Now there is an odd bit of trivia I didn't know. Everyone better remember that one. It will be on the final exam.

Leave a comment:

• Sinclair's Fan
    replied
    I had an odd one recently! I was channel-hopping one evening when I stumbled upon a group of people talking about something called "Midnight Express". I continued watching because I thought they might be talking about a train!

Instead, the "Midnight Express" they were discussing is a graphically violent film based on the real-life case of a young American lad who had tried to cross the Turkish border whilst in possession of a quantity of contraband narcotics. He was arrested and sentenced to an ultra-violent prison which could easily be called Hell on Earth. However, the young man eventually escaped, and his story was dramatised in the film being discussed.

I kept looking at this guy and thinking "I know him from somewhere," and eventually it dawned on me; he played the Traveller in the extended edition of Babylon 5 - The Gathering. That's right; a real-life former-drug-smuggler was hired to play... a fictional "Dust" drug-smuggler in Babylon 5; Billy Hayes!

Like Sinclair says, there are "NO weapons or DUST allowed on Babylon 5!"
    Last edited by Sinclair's Fan; 05-10-2018, 07:56 AM. Reason: Grammar fix.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    While this one isn't an in-person appearance, it's worth noting that "Day of the Dead" (ad SO many other things) writer Neil Gaiman will be appearing on 'The Big Bang Theory' this week.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/big_bang_t...g-bang-theory/

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Gary Cole in Blockers (2018).

So this is a pretty raunchy comedy that I just saw. I was pleasantly surprised to see Gary Cole has a supporting role in it. And then I was shocked to see Gary Cole in it. I really don't want to spoil it, but prepare for Captain Gideon to shock you if you see this movie.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Raye Birk in Throw Momma From The Train (1987) as Pinsky. I REALLY like that movie and that is where my brain goes every time I watch Intersections in Real Time 4.18. I can just see him leaving the interrogation of John Sheridan and going to class in the Throw Momma From The Train Universe to discuss the story he has written.

Leave a comment:

• Morden
    replied
    Witnessed a short, but nice guest appearence by our beloved Peter Woodward as a "Pleasure Concierge" in the episode "Rage in Heaven" of the new Netflix show "Altered Carbon" (BTW, a very good show with interesting themes, in my opinion).

Leave a comment:

• Babel-17
    replied
    Andreas Katsulas in the movie Sunset

He plays the chauffeur/bodyguard and he offers up amusing non-verbal responses to James Garner's questioning of him. This is due to his "Narns" being squeezed by Garner.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    And on topic, watched TNG: The Vengeance Factor, 3.9, last night. Stephen Lee, Tharg from Babylon 5's Believers, 1.10, was a guest star. He was good too. I think he was better in Believers. His character in The Vengeance Factor was too close to others characters I've seen him play. Tharg in Believers really showed he had range.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    HAHA! Does that mean you have a "Too Intense" slot?
    I know I do. But when it gets to that point I simply stop watching. Usually, it's really more of a 'this is just too freaking depressing to be called entertainment' slot. New BSG and Game of Thrones are two of those. Excellently done, just without that leavening bit of snarky humor to vent some tension from time to time ("What, doesn't anything come under warranty anymore?").

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by WorkerCaste View Post
    but in general I think of the more intense ones as those where you have to think more, and where nearly every character, protagonist or not, is morally ambiguous. A much darker tone overall. As an example, how about "Game of Thrones"?
    OMG! I knew you were going to say that! Let me out of your head!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    Oh, lots of things are more intense. Probably more than a single slot. Maybe that isn't quite the right categorization, but in general I think of the more intense ones as those where you have to think more, and where nearly every character, protagonist or not, is morally ambiguous. A much darker tone overall. As an example, how about "Game of Thrones"?

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by WorkerCaste View Post
    That's actually the return of a character. Bruce also appeared in S8 E7 Broken Arrow as Admiral Chase.

NCIS is a pretty good procedural. We've stuck through all the seasons so far. It's has had some pretty solid runs and some that were fairly weak. It fulfils our "not too intense" slot. :-)
    HAHA! Does that mean you have a "Too Intense" slot?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X