Direct to DVD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct to DVD?

There has been some talk about Joss Whedon creating some Buffyverse movies directly to DVD. I hope he'd entertain the same for the Firefly 'verse. (especially after seeing the poll at The New Scientist.

Anyhow, DVD sales are a HUGE market. One could state that they make up a more important market share than actual movies.

So is there any possibility of B5 stories being made directly to DVD? They would probably be easier to generate and require less of a capital investment. There is a proven market that would buy them. I'd buy them sight-unseen.

What do you all think?

I think the possibility of direct-to-dvd is a lot more viable than it was, say, a year ago. For example, I just read last week that writer/director John Harrison was talking to George Romero about the possibility of maybe some direct-to-dvd 'Dead' sequels, which suggests that if you keep the budget sensible, there must be a market out there.

Last year, I saw one of the executives from Fox being interviewed by Charlie Rose, and I think he mentioned up to 40% of a film's gross revenues now come from home video/DVD sales. By now, I should think that figure is probably climbing towards the 50% mark.

Aside from that, I don't think there's as much of a stigma attached to direct-to-DVD projects anymore, whereas the perception used to be that they weren't good enough for cinema release. Several million Disney animation sequel DVDs have probably helped change that perception in recent years.

Comment

If I am not severly mistaken Paramount is launching a direct to dvd movie thing pretty soon as well because it caused many people to get their hopes up that maybe TPTB would make a Ds9 movie .And yeah I would buy a B5 sight unseen as well that's another avenue that could be purseued.

Comment

Disney has found direct to video to be tremendously profitable for their sequel machine. They started by making them more cost effective through lower production values. Mind you, story suffered quite a bit, too. They have started to put more effort into the new productions, though, and it is still a lucrative market for them. Even though animation targeted at children is a different market, Disney's success must be making an impression on other studios.
        "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

My guess is any B5 direct to DVD thing would have good story elements. If it had production values similar to the series, even considering how long ago that was, I'd be satisfied.

A DS9 movie? Really? I thought the last ep pretty much summed up everything we needed to know.

Comment

A DS9 movie? Really? I thought the last ep pretty much summed up everything we needed to know.
            YUP a alot of fans want to know what happens to Sisko his wife ,kira etc after What you leave behind they have been trying to get Paramount to do a ds9 movie for a while now.

Comment

I agree. I've been buying books for more insight, but I would rather have liked to see how it would've unfolded on TV. it was left with quite a wide opening.

I too would love to see new B5 material, dont matter if its Direct to DVD or not, I'd watch it.
              "It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world, because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past." -- G'Kar in Babylon 5:"In the Beginning"

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Code=trektoday

The Ultimate Star Trek Collection from Amazon.com

I wonder if Paramount is just trying to get more money out of the series, before going HD-DVD or Blue-ray. Trek fans are suckers for stuff like this.
                "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

Comment

Let's put it this way: you've now put out every episode of every Star Trek series, as well as 'deluxe versions' of every Star Trek film. That's followed by a jumbo collection of all of the above for a slightly lower price. So aside from Star Trek: The Animated Series, what can you now sell? Maybe weird compendiums like Picard's Greatest Hits or The Date Collection, but if you already have every episode, why would you want them.

Seems obvious to me: the only thing to do is create new Star Trek whether it's for television or DVD. Incidentally, the same goes for Buffy, Angel, The X-Files or Babylon 5. Otherwise, slapping a new cover on the same old episodes ain't gonna do it.

Comment

You know I actually think there is a Picaard's greatest episodes collection I am almost certain I have seen it for sale .

Comment

It seems to be that if Star Trek wants to start moving it product again the first place to start would be by lowing the price. I Mean $140 list price for the first season of TNG thats insane. I like Star Trek but not that much. I had a roomate who liked to buy cheep Chinee knockoff half the time they didn't work but it was $10 rather than $140.

Granted if you hold up season one of Babylon 5 next to season 1 of SmallVille you will see suprisingly few differance. But on the shelf B5 cost $80 where Smallville only cost $30. Good to know one is getting ripped off.
                      "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Originally posted by Satai Delenn
                        You know I actually think there is a Picaard's greatest episodes collection I am almost certain I have seen it for sale .
                        Yep

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...655848-2750838

Comment

Just wait for the HD-Edition....i wont be surprised at all.
                          Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

Originally posted by rallytbk
                            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Code=trektoday

The Ultimate Star Trek Collection from Amazon.com

I wonder if Paramount is just trying to get more money out of the series, before going HD-DVD or Blue-ray. Trek fans are suckers for stuff like this.
                            Gods, I lust for that collection.
                            "Ivanova is God!"

Comment

Originally posted by Night Marshal
                              Granted if you hold up season one of Babylon 5 next to season 1 of SmallVille you will see suprisingly few differance. But on the shelf B5 cost $80 where Smallville only cost $30. Good to know one is getting ripped off.
                              That would be anybody who buys Smallville.

B5 would not be a ripoff if it were MORE expensive than Trek.
                              "Ivanova is God!"

Comment

Working...
                              X