No announcement yet.

The Legend of the Rangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just watched this movie for the first time a few days ago and I didn't have a too many problems with it. I didn't care much for Sarah's screaming but I overlooked it and stuck with the story instead. I'm quite sure had this movie made it to series, they would've toned-down her screaming or eliminated it all together.

I've watched it a few more times since then so I could get total absorption and I'm still wondering why the Valen was so easily taken out. I'm under the impression that it's their most powerful ship in addition to being their fastest. Seems like they could've either taken care of business or run away. I know one of the main themes about the movie was about Rangers not running from a battle, but they had all those Ambassadors onboard and if they couldn't defeat the Hand ships, they should've at least made a run for it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Regardless, I really enjoyed the movie.
    Ranger Code

We walk in the places no others will enter.
    We do not break away from combat.
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass.
    We do not retreat whatever the reason.
    We live for The One, we die for The One.

Comment

I didn't care for much in the pilot at all, and was somewhat relieved that it didn't make it to series, because I think we may have seen the death of the franchise if it had.

It is hard to say whether the acting made the dialogue sound so bad, or it was just bad dialogue. In any case, other than martell and Dulann, I was left pretty cold to all of the characters, who seemed stereotypes.

the whole "running away" thing was way, way overdone. We saw Ranger ships running away in B5, and this new plot "twist" seemed artificial as hell.

The weapons control thing didn't work for me at all. I understand the desire to make ship-ship combat more "interesting" but the system as described is not even logical. Any system which limits sensory inputs to the fairly limited view field of the human eye is flawed. Much better to have the standard system whereby the operator can see a representation of everything happening around the ship. The whole "I think it will miss us" thing is absurdly archaic - a computer representation of the geometry would tell the crew that beyond doubt.

There were a fair number of good moments in the show, and it certainly was not "horrible," but it left me cold and the news it was not going anywhere didn't disappoint me at all. Even JMS has his bad days, and the day he decided that this script was the one for the pilot was one of them.
      I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Grumbler, all I can say is I agree to all your points.

Comment

I am afraid that I have to agree with grumbler. The movie was IMHO flawed. The dialogue full o' cliches, the Hand was not a good nemesis. Although I did enjoy the banter between Martell and Dulann. G'Kar was quite lighthearted in the movie, maybe hanging aroung with angst-filled Lyta made him to loosen up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rikhard
            ...the Hand was not a good nemesis....
            We barely had any exposure to The Hand. We didn't see any of The Hand, only their servants. And the only information relayed to our heroes came from a single alien dude who could very easily have been deceived by a very successful public relations campaign.

"A huge empire!" -- Garibaldi
            "Come on! Public relations!" -- Londo on the Centauri's initial deception to Earth regarding their place within the galaxy upon first contact

We simply have no idea what jms's ultimate plans for The Hand were, but we do know enough from jms's writing style, especially when it comes to B5, to know that things are not what they at first appear to be.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFourtyTwo View Post
              I just watched this movie for the first time a few days ago and I didn't have a too many problems with it. I didn't care much for Sarah's screaming but I overlooked it and stuck with the story instead. I'm quite sure had this movie made it to series, they would've toned-down her screaming or eliminated it all together.

I've watched it a few more times since then so I could get total absorption and I'm still wondering why the Valen was so easily taken out. I'm under the impression that it's their most powerful ship in addition to being their fastest. Seems like they could've either taken care of business or run away. I know one of the main themes about the movie was about Rangers not running from a battle, but they had all those Ambassadors onboard and if they couldn't defeat the Hand ships, they should've at least made a run for it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Regardless, I really enjoyed the movie.
              See:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...62?tvc=1&hl=en
              Mac Breck (KoshN)
              ------------------
              Warner Brothers is Lucy.
              JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
              Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrdy View Post
                The human body is well build for combat, thousends of years of evolution have done their share.
                Actually the human body is not well built for combat. The reason why humans are such great "predators" is the unfair advantage we get with our greater brain capacity compared to the "lesser" species. Further more, as an omnivore humans
                weren't totally dependent on protein-rich animal meat.

If the evolution saw the need to increase our combat ability, we would have sharp claws, more muscle mass, added ligament support for our joints and so on.

At this moment, we are weak, break easily and utterly slow in response times and actual moving speed.

-Dip

Comment

Originally posted by Dipper View Post
                  If the evolution saw the need to increase our combat ability, we would have sharp claws, more muscle mass, added ligament support for our joints and so on.

At this moment, we are weak, break easily and utterly slow in response times and actual moving speed.
                  Our big skills were the ability to work flint - making extra sharp knives (claws), arrow heads and spears.

We are slow but have enormous stamina. We can literally walk most species to death. Fit humans can walk 26 mile marathons, few creatures can exceed 5 miles without eating and sleeping.
                  Andrew Swallow

Comment

I think it has a lot to do with other animals, especially predators, are conserving their energy for the kill since they don't know when their next meal will be.

Horses can run at a full gallop for about 40 miles a day before needing to rest. This was evident during the Pony Express days. Pony Express stations and forts were about 40 miles apart between the distances they traveled. Riders would change horses several times a day before resting at night, especially since horses don't have headlights.
                    Ranger Code

We walk in the places no others will enter.
                    We do not break away from combat.
                    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass.
                    We do not retreat whatever the reason.
                    We live for The One, we die for The One.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFourtyTwo View Post
                      horses don't have headlights.
                      Mine has....
                      http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                      Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                      47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

Not really...
                        47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

With a little ingenuity a bicycle lamp can be attached to a leather strap on the chest below the horse's head.

It is not accidental that out of the thousands of animals that horses and dogs are the animals we chose to go hunting with.
                          Andrew Swallow

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_Swallow View Post
                            With a little ingenuity a bicycle lamp can be attached to a leather strap on the chest below the horse's head.
                            NAY!!!!

Hello Andrew

Comment

How was the story-line?
                              "We are the universe, trying to understand itself."

Comment

Originally posted by EarthandBeyond View Post
                                How was the story-line?
                                To me, the storyline is the script (whereas the movie = script + implementation of the script.). I wasn't impressed with the script.
                                Last edited by KoshN; 01-13-2007, 07:23 AM.
                                Mac Breck (KoshN)
                                ------------------
                                Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                                JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                                Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Working...
                                X