No announcement yet.

The Legend of the Rangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't mind the 'Kung Fu'-thing that much. But when I saw it recently, I was disappointed that they didn't actually go down to the surface of that planet. After all: there was some sort of ancient treasure hidden there(or something like that)?

It was meant as a pilot, must have been. And jms would probably have explored the 'exploration-angle' more if a series would have been produced.

Possibly...
    "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

Comment

One second thing... the weapon system "worked" the first time I saw the movie much better than the second (and following) time(s). So yes, some part might have some nitpicking about it, too 8-)

Having said all that, I have to say that visually it just didn't work out. Maybe it was the "over-the-top" performance, or maybe my eyes just weren't ready for the concept, regardless of what my brain says. I think it was a great effort at a logical system, but it just didn't wind up working.
      Interresting... maybe there is something "wrong" under the surface... As I said above, the first time I saw it I was like "wow, a good UI after all". I mean, they have gravity control, so a zero gravity station for a all around combat simulation makes sense. No other film/series (I saw) had that idea. And - as I said above - next to a "direct link" the best combat awareness is using the "build in" combat movements of humans. So I was totally *WOW*. That second time I watched I was like "now she will kick serious ass" happy waiting for the scene. But when I watched it, it just... was a little bit wrong. And thinking about, the next quote comes quite near the feeling...

The one problem I did have with it was the screaming scene where she goes kukoo. I don't think that that was necessarily a script problem either; it could very much have been a director's choice for how to film that particular scene. Either way, the screaming was over the top. Alas, I can forgive, especially since I like the concept and other elements of its production.
      Maybe she did try *to hard*. It was nearly painful to watch all that fast acting. Especially the "kukoo"-scene, where she - in reality - wouldn't be able to act that quick and accurate. The reason I set aside for me was that if enough mines/rockets explode they kinda chain-react, and THAT was the reason they got out, not the "shooting like a maniac". So in my little mind she just went crazy of fear and stress for some seconds *g*. Maybe another take on the *how* to act in the simulation would have produced a "better" result... and also: Maybe if they wouldn't have tried to make her so "appealing" would have helped a little, too. Understand me right: I like beautiful woman... IN SPACE!!! (*g*)
      But if the beauty becomes a reason all by itself, it seldom helps the role to be good (in an acting/actor kind of sense).

PeAcE
      greetings from austria, best known for its history and fine wine... feels like a wine cellar on a graveyard 8-)

Comment

I don't know if I've posted this before, but here's what the script says about the weapons system:

Sara grabs onto a bar leading into a drop tube, falling into--

INT. GUNNERY POD
        --a round, black space that suddenly LIGHTS UP with the view of surrounding space in a complet 360 display, her seat suspended in the center of it all.
        (visually it's a cross between a WW2 flying fortress tail gunner, and the circular readouts on the fighters in the Lost in Space feature)
        The scene with the mines:

Sara is firing with everything she's got, spinning and firing, spinning and firing, pinpointing and hitting one mine after anouther, fast-fast-fast.

SARAH: (a growing yell)

It becomes a PRIMAL YELL as she scambles to keep up with it all.

EXT. MINES
        They're HIT over and over, EXPLODING into a FIERY CLOUD.

INT. GUNERRY POD
        TIGHT on sarah's eyes, frenzied, half-mad with effort.
        So my guess is that once they decided to drop the chair in the gunnery pod (which does sound very expensive), they were left to figure out how to have Sarah depict targeting and shooting and all that was left was to have Sarah showing the effort with her own energy.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Hmmm...

Doesn't sound terribly efficient...

Comment

Automatic?

One would have thought that they would have figured out how to use automatic recognition and targeting systems by then.
            Only unknown stuff would require human intervention.
            At the speeds used in space, human hand-eye coordination will not suffice.
            Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
            John Sheridan

Comment

At the speeds used in space, human hand-eye coordination will not suffice.
              True, but it tends to be a bit boring watching people sit in their chairs, doing nothing while ships fire and explode... takes the drama away, doesn't it? 9-)

Until some years ago I was a "reality"-fetishist, I wanted my SciFi as real as possible. But since then I have begun to appreciate the drama more, and if there is the question Reality or Drama... I tend to lean to Drama more, these days. Because something can be real as the Reality, and therefore boring as such *g*

But I still have my Problems with "deus ex machina" and "everything is as before" stories. If you need a miracle to "make things right" (in the end) you made an error in writing (IMHO). Good drama is an art, and JMS is so good with it, while still keeping enough reality so you think "it could happen". That's magic, the "make-believe". In Between the pure Drama and the pure Reality, there is the Area for good storytelling...

PeAcE
              greetings from austria, best known for its history and fine wine... feels like a wine cellar on a graveyard 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by Harrdy
                In Between the pure Drama and the pure Reality, there is the Area for good storytelling...

PeAcE
                I agree with you, but the need to know who is pulling the triggers or how it done is not the drama (IMHO).

A human can see only a small section of sky. On her own she has to cover a 360░ arc, in all directions, left-right, above-beneath... and she hasn't grown eyes in the back of her head yet.

What of the space she can't cover?
                John Sheridan

Comment

Originally posted by DeMonk
                  I agree with you, but the need to know who is pulling the triggers or how it done is not the drama (IMHO).

A human can see only a small section of sky. On her own she has to cover a 360░ arc, in all directions, left-right, above-beneath... and she hasn't grown eyes in the back of her head yet.

Presumably, the targeting systems track objects and alert the operator to their presence. It could use telltales to effectively yell "Look out behind you!" The targeting systems also would refine the aim of the weapons systems so she could "strike" at a target rapidly and move on. In that way, the operator makes the final decision, but the systems handle everything else.
                  "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

True, I wouldn't argue about that. As I wouldn't argue that there is no sound in space, that there is only light where you point it, and other reality based thoughts. But again, if they destroy the drama then it doesn't work, and keeping the story alive is more important (to me) than reality, as I said before.

What would your solution be? Because, we could use Wide-Area Lenses, but then our "natural" way of watching the environment gets disorted to a point where you cannot use the system without training. And a fully automated system would be... boring I fear. Maybe if there would be a "3D-Hologram" (thingie) floating where the gunner selects the targets with pointing his finger, and then a lot of slides to the outside, where his actions get carried out, a lot of explosions and stuff, to keep it "exciting"?

PeAcE

Comment

Vulnerability

If your defense depends on individuals with this specific training, how many do you take along?
                      What happens if your gunners are sick or killed? Are you then completely defenseless?
                      I'm willing to accept a lot... but sometimes I need believability, even if it is only the tiniest bit of it.
                      As my understanding goes... this sucks... big time!
                      But I admit... my understanding has big holes sometimes
                      John Sheridan

Comment

Originally posted by Laiden
                        If I find anything good about that 2 hour waste of time . . . I'll let ya know
                        Agreed, it was a complete pile of shit. Bad acting, boring plot, tokenistic use of G'Kar, idiotic weapons console, characters with no gravity, did I say crap plot? CG stuff looked nice though, hyperspace was very well done. Thank god the series never went ahead if this is anything to go by...

Comment

The weapons is a great (and stangely unprecedented) concept that didn't work on screen. The characters had potential (the main Minbari was quite good) but I, for one, hate too many young actors in anything unless its meant to be a teen-flick (which mainly suck anyway).
                          I got the feeling that the one seasoned B5 vet who was in it (Katsulas) shouldn't really have been there, and had a fairly crappy script to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrdy
                            Until some years ago I was a "reality"-fetishist, I wanted my SciFi as real as possible. But since then I have begun to appreciate the drama more, and if there is the question Reality or Drama... I tend to lean to Drama more, these days. Because something can be real as the Reality, and therefore boring as such *g*
                            Still not seen legend of the rangers(perhaps if I see the DVD cheap) but I'd agree with this. I'd guess its down to what was on TV at the time, when all there is are old buck rogers repeats then a bit of reality goes down nicely. Recently though things have IMHO started to go the other way (not just in sci fi but TV generally) with "reality" used as a substitute for good characters and an interesting plot. Part of what brought the latter star trek series(Voyager, Enterprise) down a little for me was the po faced self importance given to almost everything.
                            Who are you?
                            What do you want?
                            What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

Originally posted by moreorless
                              Still not seen legend of the rangers (perhaps if I see the DVD cheap)
                              Amazon has it for about $12, if memory serves. I've seen it as low as $9.99, as when Amazon had all the B5 DVDs on sale a couple of weeks ago.

Regards,

Joe
                              Joseph DeMartino
                              Sigh Corps
                              Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Don't waste your money, just wait for it too appear on tv/borrow it/dl from somewhere. It's really not worth the money. The only B5 purchase I regret making...

Comment

Working...
                                X