Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satai Delenn
    replied
    "Only one Earth captain has survived engaments with the Minbari fleet. HE is behind me. YOU are in front of me.." (great line).

You know when I first saw the episode where this quote came from I still can't believe people actually like this quote and is for many there favorite of the entire series but for me it was a big YAWN and boring it certainly was not memorable in any way.
    Slightly off topic but I loved Delenn in season one she was so mysterius in her reasoning for being there and when she changed into a half human she became weak and a damsel in distress type.But Jan I think covered all questions and answers.
    Last edited by Satai Delenn; 11-04-2005, 06:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    This looks like fun...let's see what I can come up with. Remember..."No one here, is exactly as they appear."

Originally posted by The Puzzled Pak'Ma'Ra
    Let's take a look at Delenn's actions shall we?

... First Season, "Legacies". The dead body of the highly honored Minbari general, the Shai'Alit, has gone missing. It has been stolen... STOLEN BY DELENN.
    She felt she had to fulfill the wishes of her friend as well as to 'bring him back' to the Religious Caste ways.

... She stands beside Neroon with an expression of absolute outrage, speaking to / yelling at Sinclair, "This is a grave offense, Commander! Unforgiveable!"
    Yeah, politics is all playing to the audience...

... Later, a piece of the Shai'Alit's burial robe is discovered in the Alien Sector, outside the Pak'Ma'Ra's quarters - the carrion eaters... Which means Delenn has set up the poor Pak'Ma'Ra to get their stomachs pumped and have their rights violated, only to buy time to cremate the stolen body no doubt...
    Now, that *could* have been an accident, you know.

... (To quote Delenn: "A half truth is the worst kind of lie" ...) Hypocrisy.
    I thought that was Sinclair's line, not Delenn's.

... Then finally discovered, she plays it down - no big deal... The Shai'Alit was a priest as well as a warrior, so it's OK. Then she uses blackmail and threats to get Neroon to keep his mouth shut.
    Rank has its privileges.

... Honorable? The Minbari, by and large, yes. Delenn... hardly.
    It's an alien thing. If we can't even understand how respectful open gun ports are, how can we understand the nuances of Minbari honor?

... Moving along, it was Delenn who, kneeling over the body of Dukat who lie dying after an attack by an Earth Ship (B5 movie - "In the Beginning"), gave the vote that tipped the balance - to go to war with Earth. "They are animals!! Kill them all!!", she exclaimed.
    ... While her feelings were understandable, interesting, is it not, the fact that it was her rage-driven vote that nearly wiped out the human race, is never brought up during all 5 seasons? Does anybody even know? She has buried that dirty little secret quite well, I think.
    Now, now...she did try to stop it after that but wasn't able. Given their culture, it was difficult for her to finally strike out on her own and act as on individual convictions. As for her cover-up...Minbari are told only as much as they need to know, when they need to know it. Convenient, huh? She didn't invent it, just used it.

... Season 3, when EarthForce ships have come to do battle with B5, civil war, B5 had beaten off the first wave, then another shows up. Sheridan knows they're all about to die... then a flight of Minbari war cruisers show up . . .
    ... Delenn: "Only one Earth captain has survived engaments with the Minbari fleet. HE is behind me. YOU are in front of me.." (great line).
    ... It's just that FACE... Her face saying those words... It just didn't seem right. I can't take it seriously. Granted, the Earth ships hauled ass, but I doubt it was Delenn's "fearsome expression" that motivated them. Neroon would have been great there! Could have said something Clint Eastwood-like, perhaps, "Go ahead. Make my cycle!"
    Oh, I *loved* Delenn when she was pissed. The other one that had me cheering her on was whe she said "End this" when they went back to finish off the Drakh.

... Mira Furlan did an outstanding job with Delenn. The character drives me batty!
    Her work here is done.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• The Puzzled Pak'Ma'Ra
    started a topic Dissing Delenn

Dissing Delenn

... I recall Commander Sinclair's little talk with LtCmdr Ivanova in the very first episode, discussing possibilities as to who might have attacked the Centauri colony of Ragesh III. "It wasn't the Minbari", said Sinclair, "They are honorable..."

... well, is that so, Commander? Let's take a look at Delenn's actions shall we?

... First Season, "Legacies". The dead body of the highly honored Minbari general, the Shai'Alit, has gone missing. It has been stolen... STOLEN BY DELENN.
    ... She stands beside Neroon with an expression of absolute outrage, speaking to / yelling at Sinclair, "This is a grave offense, Commander! Unforgiveable!"
    ... Later, a piece of the Shai'Alit's burial robe is discovered in the Alien Sector, outside the Pak'Ma'Ra's quarters - the carrion eaters... Which means Delenn has set up the poor Pak'Ma'Ra to get their stomachs pumped and have their rights violated, only to buy time to cremate the stolen body no doubt...
    ... (anybody remember the episode in which it is revealed that "Minbari don't lie" ? )
    ... (To quote Delenn: "A half truth is the worst kind of lie" ...) Hypocrisy.
    ... Then Neroon and Sinclair get into an actual fist-to-cuffs and Neroon is ready to open fire on B5 with his war cruiser... all the while Delenn remains strangley silent . . .
    ... Then finally discovered, she plays it down - no big deal... The Shai'Alit was a priest as well as a warrior, so it's OK. Then she uses blackmail and threats to get Neroon to keep his mouth shut.
    ... Honorable? The Minbari, by and large, yes. Delenn... hardly.

... Moving along, it was Delenn who, kneeling over the body of Dukat who lie dying after an attack by an Earth Ship (B5 movie - "In the Beginning"), gave the vote that tipped the balance - to go to war with Earth. "They are animals!! Kill them all!!", she exclaimed.
    ... While her feelings were understandable, interesting, is it not, the fact that it was her rage-driven vote that nearly wiped out the human race, is never brought up during all 5 seasons? Does anybody even know? She has buried that dirty little secret quite well, I think.

... Then there is her "cultural superiority". As if, "Oh my, well you cannot possibly begin to understand our ways". Though never said as such, her manner clearly shows that this is her belief concerning most other races.

... Final comments...

... Season 3, when EarthForce ships have come to do battle with B5, civil war, B5 had beaten off the first wave, then another shows up. Sheridan knows they're all about to die... then a flight of Minbari war cruisers show up . . .
    ... Delenn: "Only one Earth captain has survived engaments with the Minbari fleet. HE is behind me. YOU are in front of me.." (great line).
    ... It's just that FACE... Her face saying those words... It just didn't seem right. I can't take it seriously. Granted, the Earth ships hauled ass, but I doubt it was Delenn's "fearsome expression" that motivated them. Neroon would have been great there! Could have said something Clint Eastwood-like, perhaps, "Go ahead. Make my cycle!"

... Mira Furlan did an outstanding job with Delenn. The character drives me batty!

... and I wonder if JMS might have modelled the Minbari on the Japanese to a certain degree...

... This string will probably die in a day or so, but it's raining, and I wanted to vent, for lack of better things to do. Just having some fun.

... Final comment: Found a pretty cool little B5 site just browsing around today:
    http://besterplace.green-sector.de/

Cheers.
Working...
X