Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The aliens in this novel are very different:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044...books&v=glance
    Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
      The aliens in this novel are very different:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044...books&v=glance
      Octavia Butler. I've heard of her. I'll give her a try.

Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
      I also think that sci-fi TV aliens are too antropomorphic (not only on the bilateral quadruped body plan, also on behavior). On SF books there are aliens that are more "alien", but truly alien ones are scarce.
      I'd say that's an unfortunate consequence of writers having to write for a human audience. The "average" viewer (even reader) might just not care for an alien that they can't relate too in any way (which would be a mark of true alienness).
      Yes. Technique in writing seems to require that writers make characters "easy" or "easier" to identify with so that readers want to read about the character until the end and there are techniques for doing this. (Of course some characters are the very opposite of this - the villains, etc.) This makes sense but may prevent a radically different character/mentality/race from being created and sustained indefinitely.

I wonder if the sheer mode of writing provides some limits to characterisation - the limits of language, etc. Interesting.
      Last edited by saori; 12-15-2005, 09:04 PM.
      "Not many fishes left in the sea. Not many fishes, just Londo and me."

Comment

Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis series, that's good, I read an omnibus edition of the three books recently.
        C.J. Cherryh's "Foreigner" series of six books (starting with the one that names the series) also has a quite alien culture (even if their form is entirely humanoid).
        Those have it comparatively easy with respect to TV in that the exposition and point of view through a human character makes relating to the aliens (or at least understanding their alienness) easier. In Butler's series the point of view shifts to human-alien hybrids, having their partial humanity (and their conversations with humans) as a device to make them easier to relate with.

I guess the alien through human eyes device was used in B5 by having Kosh appear relating to others, same for the Shadows. However since the Narn, Centauri, and Minbari had more screen time and were the point of view characters many times their alienness might have been de-emphasized to make them "likable" or easier to relate to.
        Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
        James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Working...
        X