• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"And I want to be the king of all Londinium and wear a shiny hat."

- Mal Reynolds
    "Ivanova is God!"

Comment

You forgot to add

grumbler wrote: "I want to strike back at the TNT suits who cancelled our Crusade and decimated our hopes. I want to crush them utterly and make their bones into flutes for little JMSnewsers to play on....."

You forgot to add:

" ... tis a dream I have"

(or am I mixing up "Signs and Portents" with "Midnight on the Firing Line"?)

"An artist is a bloke who can hold two fundamentally opposing views and still function". -- The character Roy Bland, paraphrasing F. Scott Fitzgerald, in the BBC production of "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy."
      Last edited by moelawn; 10-31-2005, 05:17 PM.

Comment

What Do You Want?

"I'll have fries with that"
        Originally posted by Jan
        Regular, Jumbo or Clog-Your-Arteries-right-here-right-now?
        I think I managed to slip in a sufficiently obscure quote that no one noticed it...
        As for the fries I'd want: small portion OK, the fast food fries aren't that good to eat more. None beats home-made french fries.
        Now you've made me want them for real... I'll sign out and go buy some potatoes.
        Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
        James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Just to let you know, I have introduced my brother in law to Babylon 5. He is a young adult with a severe learning disability, called Asberger's Syndrome, which has similarities to Attention Deficit Disorder, Autism and Tourette's Syndrome.

He has a lot of difficulty concentrating on things for very long, but is very intelligent. However, when Babylon 5 comes on the screen, he can sit for hours watching the DVD's play, concentrating completely, and his behavior improves significantly!

He is very rarely excited about anything, but every time I come by with the DVD's, he is waiting at the door for me!

Chalk one up for Babylon 5 and just the attention of a brother figure to help the emotionally or learning disabled!
          "Ivanova is God!"

Comment

That's a *great* story, SpooRancher! So...where are the two of you in the series?

Thanks for sharing. You should consider posting this to the moderated newsgroup so JMS can see it.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

"Why don't you eliminate the entire TNT-headquarters while you're at it? "
              "One thing at a time, Towelmaster. One thing at a time."

And yes, great story. Any writer would want to hear/read that I think. Go for it, the man is as accessible as the web itself.
              Last edited by Towelmaster; 11-22-2005, 02:49 AM.
              "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

Comment

Originally posted by moelawn
                grumbler wrote: "I want to strike back at the TNT suits who cancelled our Crusade and decimated our hopes. I want to crush them utterly and make their bones into flutes for little JMSnewsers to play on....."
                ... In all fairness, Crusade wasn't so great . . . It suffered from the same basic premise problem ST Voyager had... The show was based on fixing a single problem (Voyager's was getting home, Crusade's was finding a cure for the evil virus)... which lessened everything else that happened along the way, as if what happened in an episode was an afterthought.

... Crusade might have evolved, given time, into a fantastic series, but sadly, we will never know.
                "I think I'll pass on the tuna, thanks."

Comment

Originally posted by The Puzzled Pak'Ma'Ra
                  ... In all fairness, Crusade wasn't so great . . . It suffered from the same basic premise problem ST Voyager had... The show was based on fixing a single problem (Voyager's was getting home, Crusade's was finding a cure for the evil virus)... which lessened everything else that happened along the way, as if what happened in an episode was an afterthought.
                  Not quite. After all, we KNEW that a cure would be found, didn't we? The search was what it was set up for us to believe the series was about but JMS has said several times that the cure would have been found fairly early on, probably in the second season. There were two other major threads already set up in the fragment that we got, though. Problems with Earthforce playing with technologies they didn't understand and Technomages and their dealing with their tech and each other. Those, I think, would have likely been more of what Crusade was really about.

... Crusade might have evolved, given time, into a fantastic series, but sadly, we will never know.
                  Sadly, indeed. How much of the Earth civil war, the Minbari civil war and the Shadow war would we have been able to deduce from the first 13 episodes of B5? It's obvious in retrospect but not on first viewing.

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

... Well, for all of season one, we had the search for the cure as the primary objective . . .

... I would have loved to have seen the series make it far enough to get into the Techno mages more.

... And I always thought the war with Telepaths would have been very cool subject material. In 'Sleeping in Light', that war is mentioned in the past tense, so we know it DID happen... I would've liked to have seen it.

... That's the problem with the 5-Year arc. Babylon 5 was nothing short of a miracle, getting on the air to begin with, then plowing on for 5 years against all odds... No doubt it's hard to keep the suits behind you when ratings slack.

(off topic - Got notice in my mailbox - my book has arrived in the post office... and I AM excited.)
                    "I think I'll pass on the tuna, thanks."

Comment

Originally posted by The Puzzled Pak'Ma'Ra
                      ... And I always thought the war with Telepaths would have been very cool subject material. In 'Sleeping in Light', that war is mentioned in the past tense, so we know it DID happen... I would've liked to have seen it.
                      It was mentioned in the past tense in 'A Call to Arms', remember. IIRC, it would have been approximately two years past at that point. Making Mattheson's position a really fast progression. He was allowed to join Earthforce under the 'new rules' for telepaths. Some part of it would have been seen in the Fiona Avery script 'Value Judgments'.

(off topic - Got notice in my mailbox - my book has arrived in the post office... and I AM excited.)
                      Yay! have fun!

Jan

Comment

Shit Jan, stop beating me to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Towelmaster
                          Shit Jan, stop beating me to it!
                          Which? you snooze... The Telepath War or wishing TPP fun?

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by SpooRancher
                            Just to let you know, I have introduced my brother in law to Babylon 5. He is a young adult with a severe learning disability, called Asberger's Syndrome, which has similarities to Attention Deficit Disorder, Autism and Tourette's Syndrome.

He has a lot of difficulty concentrating on things for very long, but is very intelligent.
                            Well what do you know! Our 8 year old boy, Luke, is Autistic and he too has great difficulty concentrating on things. His reading and writing is severeley delayed, but does (characteristically) likes his numbers. He also loves B5, knows most of the characters names and can even hum the theme tune for us! The other show he can do this for is Blake's 7.

As we are around him all the time and we own alot of genre shows on dvd, we didnt really realise how special or different this might be. Great show, small world
                            http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                            Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                            47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                              Which? you snooze... The Telepath War or wishing TPP fun?

Jan
                              Nah, the part about the cure being found early in the series...

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                                That's a *great* story, SpooRancher! So...where are the two of you in the series?

Thanks for sharing. You should consider posting this to the moderated newsgroup so JMS can see it.

Jan
                                Jan, could you possibly post it for me? I currently have no access to newsgroups. I'll PM you with my personal info so you can let the "real" me be known there.
                                "Ivanova is God!"

Comment

Working...
                                X