X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeMonk
    replied
    Possible B5 Book

Count me in. Only came across Babylon 5 this August - this is Belgium after all. My jaw dropped. I had never ever seen anything that good.
    THANK YOU!

Leave a comment:

• spikey thing
    replied
    More B5 in any way / shape / or form can not be a bad thing.

Bring it on....

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth_librarian
    No offence to JMS, but its 90% his side of the story we hear, throughout production, in books and beyond. Now the dust has settled, i'd like to hear others opinions. No muck raking of course, just some honest accounts.
    JMS has always had to be circumspect about what he's said in public. A major example of that was how we never heard anything at all about how difficult things were during Crusade. Having been to a number of conventions, too, it was always obvious to me that some of them *really* disagreed with some things their characters had to do.

It looks like JMS may be taking the opportunity to expand on things, too. In one of his posts last night he said

It's a real chance, with the passage of time, to
    talk about stuff I could never talk about before, and other stuff I can
    now discuss in more detail than could be possible in an article or a
    convention appearance.
    Jan

Leave a comment:

• Darth_librarian
    replied
    oh fe sure...

Sure thing.

we have new comics/ graphic novels on the way. We have JMS' scripts. DVD sales are good, and folks are paying an earful on ebay for memorabilia and out of print books, (It was asked on B5tv the other day just where to get stuff...) I'd say the market is bouyent enough, and with that in mind some publisher would be willing to finance a run.

So yes. Legal issues aside, I'd like to see this. It would also be good not to make it offical, arguably the non-offical Trek and Who books make the best reads.

No offence to JMS, but its 90% his side of the story we hear, throughout production, in books and beyond. Now the dust has settled, i'd like to hear others opinions. No muck raking of course, just some honest accounts.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro
    Not that I was going for a nasty tell-all;
    I remember when the Brady Bunch tell-all came out. Jeez, the things that went down off camera there...

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    In some cases, we got three or four people all talking about the same incident or experience, and we printed them all, allowing readers to make up their own minds. Frankly, that's what I think I want to do here. Again, I'm not all that interested in doing some kind of nasty tell-all; I just want to present the facts as they were presented to me and let the fans decide for themselves. For example, if we're talking about the change of commanders between seasons one and two, I could just present what JMS had to say, or I could provide slightly different perspectives from a dozen other people, which is what I prefer. Again, by not offering my own opinion, it allows everybody to decide for themselves.
    That's the sort of thing I think would be most interesting. I often enjoy non-authorized books as long as they're not heavy on an agenda. Andy Lane's second book was pretty distasteful, for instance, because it seemed the story didn't go the way he wanted.

And the next time I'll probaby spell BOOK right too. Never post until you've finished your first cup of coffee.
    Looks fine to me, Joe... But let me know if you need a proofreader for your book....

Jan
    Friendly Neighborhood Revisionist

Leave a comment:

• Joe Nazzaro
    replied
    Possible B5 BOOK

And the next time I'll probaby spell BOOK right too. Never post until you've finished your first cup of coffee.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Nazzaro
    replied
    Possible B5 Book

I've got to admit, I'm leaning more towards Dweller than Montoya right now. The problem with submitting a book for approval is it gives the powers-that-be an opportunity to, well, tone it down. As an example, my Red Dwarf book years ago was pretty much white-washed by the producers. Not that I was going for a nasty tell-all; I just wanted people to know what the actual production of a series was like. On the other hand, writing Blake's 7: The Inside Story with my wife (who actually worked on the series) was a much better experience, because we were basically able to talk to everybody we could, thus getting a variety of different opinions. In some cases, we got three or four people all talking about the same incident or experience, and we printed them all, allowing readers to make up their own minds. Frankly, that's what I think I want to do here. Again, I'm not all that interested in doing some kind of nasty tell-all; I just want to present the facts as they were presented to me and let the fans decide for themselves. For example, if we're talking about the change of commanders between seasons one and two, I could just present what JMS had to say, or I could provide slightly different perspectives from a dozen other people, which is what I prefer. Again, by not offering my own opinion, it allows everybody to decide for themselves.
    Last edited by Jan; 10-14-2005, 07:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Actually, it'd probably be a better book without the approval of JMS and DR.

Leave a comment:

• Capt.Montoya
    replied
    I would love to read such book.
    I never got the season guides, I passed on the Babylon File book.
    A book made by a fan that got to be behind the scenes sounds great.
    Hope it gets JMS approval (or nihil obstat), that might help it to be published through Del Rey (or whoever has the rights to the novels when the book is ready).
    I also think that releasing it after the JMS scripts are out would be best.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew_Swallow
    replied
    The book sounds like fun.

Leave a comment:

• AaronB
    replied
    Originally posted by Nacho
    Sounds great! I'd like another novel too.

I've been out-of-the-novel loop for a couple years. Was the last one the finishing novel of the Technomage trilogy?
    I beleive that is correct.

Leave a comment:

• Nacho
    replied
    Sounds great! I'd like another novel too.

I've been out-of-the-novel loop for a couple years. Was the last one the finishing novel of the Technomage trilogy?

Leave a comment:

• ipeters
    replied
    Me to! Sounds like a cool project!

Leave a comment:

• AaronB
    replied
    Count me in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X