No announcement yet.

I just noticed something strange...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you guys will have a confirmation by this weekend . . . I'm almost on S2 of BABYLON 5 IN 30 DAYS MARATHON I know he did though.
    "It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world, because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past." -- G'Kar in Babylon 5:"In the Beginning"

Comment

Originally posted by Heinlein
      Are you sure that Londo saw nothing when Kosh emerged from his suit???

I always got the impression he saw something that terrified him and he didn't want to talk about it.
      I am convinced (although I'm good at self delusion ) that I have seen something in the archive where JMS confirms that Londo saw exactly what he said, but I could'nt find it with several search attempts. All my searches used "Londo" though and I'm wondering if this wasn't one of those quick JMS answers where only a fragment of the question is shown. Maybe Londo doesn't appear at all. Does anyone else remember that JMS post?
      "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

I wasn't able to find it in the archives but I found

Londo saw what he said he saw.
        on the Lurker's Guide page for The Fall of Night.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
          I wasn't able to find it in the archives but I found...
          Jan
          Ah, yes, the Lurker Guides "JMS Speaks" section. That could well be where I saw it, because that's pretty much the form I remember the comment in. Not sure what the source for that was, but the Lurker's Guide was usually pretty accurate.
          "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Just to muddy the waters a bit, here's what Peter Jurasik had to say about that scene in The Fall of Night, from two different interviews, done at two different times:

Peter: I just throw this out as a possibility, but I donÆt put it by Joe that Londo saw something that he was either unable to express, or was not able to express and so he lied and said æI didnÆt see anything.Æ Who knows whatÆs going to come out of that, but yes, thatÆs the way we approached it: isolating him, and he doesnÆt see anything; thatÆs the way we played it.

(And from the second interview...)
            Peter: The reveal of Kosh was what it was all about for all of us. We couldnÆt wait for that script to come out, and people had got word a month or so before that the reveal of Kosh was going to happen, and again, weÆre working towards the climactic feel of the season. Janet was back directing, so the feeling around the set was one of excitement. We couldnÆt wait to put it together, and of course in the scene where weÆre all in the Zen Garden looking up at the reveal of Kosh is a wonderful moment. The little scene afterwards at the bar is a real centerpiece for me. That was a great follow-through for Londo, and what I love about it to this day is IÆm not even sure if heÆs telling the truth when he says he didnÆt see anything. I donÆt know whether he saw something but didnÆt want to admit that he saw it, or if he really didnÆt see anything. In my heart, I moved back and forth. I think what I was playing was that he saw something but didnÆt want to admit he saw something; itÆs like a ghost appearing, but youÆre too stuck in your ways to admit that something other-worldly happened.

Comment

Wow, that's great, Joe. Thanks for sharing! I'd love to see lots of info on actor's decisions in the book (hint).

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Aside from Mr. Jurasik's opinion, I think Londo really did not see anything because he has such belief in the Gods and Godesses, why wouldn't he admit to seeing something. I think because he has been touched by shadows, by darkness, he could not see Kosh.
                "It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world, because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past." -- G'Kar in Babylon 5:"In the Beginning"

Comment

Whether he couldn't see it because of what he was, or he lied and couldn't accept what he saw, rather amounts to the same thing in my book. Two ways to the same place - a sad and empty man.
                  Radhil Trebors
                  Persona Under Construction

Comment

Perhaps someone can help me out. It's been a while since I read the Centauri trilogy, but for some weird reason my memory of it is telling me that Londo's description of what he saw was one of the things he wrote in his memoirs in the last of the three novels, and for some reason I remember that description being different than the "I saw nothing" description he gave in the series itself. Personally, I prefer his seeing nothing, which is why I remember having something of a disconnect when I read that part of the book. But it's possible I just misread it in the book and my memory is just playing a prank on me.

Comment

I just finished rereading the trilogy a couple of weeks ago and he does describe it. I don't remember the exact words, but he does say that others described seeing wonderous beings but he saw nothing. You're right, it was in one of his journal entries.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                      X